• Total voters

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Who will be this year's QB?

Last edited:

Morgan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got Morgan starting and Annexstad finishing. Quarterbacks get injured, thankfully we have a relatively deep bench.

Based off of social media, I say annexstad.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Watched the New Mexico St. game again and I think Annexstad looked good. I like to think he's improved by then. I bet Fleck goes with him.

Watched the New Mexico St. game again and I think Annexstad looked good. I like to think he's improved by then. I bet Fleck goes with him.

This is not something one often hears.

Social media, looking good vs NMSU, Ryan Burns. This is what we’re hinging the hopes and dreams of the 2019 season on?

I will say if...if Burnie’s source isn’t a disinformation agent and PJ has stated to the staff he is going with ZA he has balls of steel because it will be a ******** if the offense struggles like it did last year.

No pressure.

His deep passes were awful in that game, but otherwise fine, I guess? I’m sure it didn’t hurt that he was playing one of the worst FBS teams. Their defense is probably the worst one we played all year. Should have put up 60+ points. Edit to add: he was 16/33 in that game against that trash defense.

He was decent against Fresno State (a legit defense), and marginal against Miami, with an ankle injury, to be fair. Against Big Ten competition, he didn’t cut it. I don’t get where all this positivity for ZA is coming from. I hope I have to eat my words in a few months, if he gets the nod, but I’m not feeling it.

Last edited:

Hesitant to vote at this point. Both QBs I'd take either one to start. What matters is team wins and the QBs staying healthy the rest of the season. Love the positive attitude and leadership qualities exhibited by both.

I see Morgan is gaining on ZA. PE has been out recruiting voters for the poll.

His deep passes were awful in that game, but otherwise fine, I guess? I’m sure it didn’t hurt that he was playing one of the worst FBS teams. Their defense is probably the worst one we played all year. Should have put up 60+ points. Edit to add: he was 16/33 in that game against that trash defense.

He was decent against Fresno State (a legit defense), and marginal against Miami, with an ankle injury, to be fair. Against Big Ten competition, he didn’t cut it. I don’t get where all this positivity for ZA is coming from. I hope I have to eat my words in a few months, if he gets the nod, but I’m not feeling it.

His deep passes were awful all year. Lots of arm strength but no touch. I give him a pass against NMSU though. He was a walk-on freshman starting day 1. That is a lot to ask of a walk-on. Coach wants to win, so he will pick the guy who gives us the best chance. But either way, both qb's will see time in games and throughout the year. I thought Morgan looked like a real leader by the end of the season, so I still lean that way. But I don't go to practice and other than the spring game haven't seen either since the bowl game.

None.

Seth Green will "start" (whatever that actually means), and another QB will come in for most of the plays.

I ran across this article, and I remember Fleck saying something about Zack Terrell not initially buying into his RTB stuff. It’s also mentioned in the article that Fleck thought Terrell was too quiet and not energetic enough. Obviously, they were able to work out their differences, but it took awhile for Fleck to settle on him as his starting QB. The bottom line is he looks for qualities that have very little to do with their ability to throw a pass or run the offense. ZA’s personality most likely fits the mold of what he’s looking for in a starting QB, more so than TM’s. Whether he can raise his level of play to where it needs to be to win in the Big Ten remains to be seen.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/12/31/western-michigan-fleck-terrell/96022636/

I ran across this article, and I remember Fleck saying something about Zack Terrell not initially buying into his RTB stuff. It’s also mentioned in the article that Fleck thought Terrell was too quiet and not energetic enough. Obviously, they were able to work out their differences, but it took awhile for Fleck to settle on him as his starting QB. The bottom line is he looks for qualities that have very little to do with their ability to throw a pass or run the offense. ZA’s personality most likely fits the mold of what he’s looking for in a starting QB, more so than TM’s. Whether he can raise his level of play to where it needs to be to win in the Big Ten remains to be seen.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/12/31/western-michigan-fleck-terrell/96022636/

I like QBs that win big ten games.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I see Morgan is gaining on ZA. PE has been out recruiting voters for the poll.

I have to admit I’m surprised ZA has so many votes - this is one of those times I guess my eyes must be deceiving me and I should reevaluate. Or, there is the possibility #OneofUs is in effect, or the possibility Burnsie’s source has legitimate intel.

If it is ZA obviously there is a solid chance he’ll be substantially better in year two and I hope I’m not running the guy down. Based on the game performances I do feel the offense moved the ball more efficiently under TM and he will also (likely) improve in year two.

If it is ZA obviously there is a solid chance he’ll be substantially better in year two and I hope I’m not running the guy down. Based on the game performances I do feel the offense moved the ball more efficiently under TM and he will also (likely) improve in year two.

Admittedly, I am a more casual fan, so my perceptions may well not be supported by data or a deeper review of the season. That said, it seemed like we had settled in to a "run-run-throw TJ a slant for 10 yds-run-run-throw TJ a slant for 13 yards-run-Seth Green jumps over the goal line" offense by the time Morgan was under center. It seemed like we had boiled the offense down to a much more efficient formula, and most of the throws he was asked to make were those quick slants. I think it's possible that the overall execution and offensive strategy changes may be confounding the comparative stats between the two.

That said, Morgan was also playing against Big 10 defenses. So that would be expected to skew stats in the opposite direction.

I have to admit I’m surprised ZA has so many votes - this is one of those times I guess my eyes must be deceiving me and I should reevaluate. Or, there is the possibility #OneofUs is in effect, or the possibility Burnsie’s source has legitimate intel.

I think I fall into the Morgan until proven otherwise camp. He played some good ball down the stretch for us. But to be fair to ZA he also didn't play behind a line with Faalele who really helped stabilize things up front and Bryce Williams was his number 1 back while Ibrahim was out. That being said, I'd go Morgan unless ZA is lighting it up in fall camp.

It should absolutely be Morgan but I'm afraid it will be Annexstad.

Think it will be Morgan again by the end of the year though.

It should absolutely be Morgan but I'm afraid it will be Annexstad.

Think it will be Morgan again by the end of the year though.

Fleck will do whats right for the team.

Admittedly, I am a more casual fan, so my perceptions may well not be supported by data or a deeper review of the season. That said, it seemed like we had settled in to a "run-run-throw TJ a slant for 10 yds-run-run-throw TJ a slant for 13 yards-run-Seth Green jumps over the goal line" offense by the time Morgan was under center. It seemed like we had boiled the offense down to a much more efficient formula, and most of the throws he was asked to make were those quick slants. I think it's possible that the overall execution and offensive strategy changes may be confounding the comparative stats between the two.

That said, Morgan was also playing against Big 10 defenses. So that would be expected to skew stats in the opposite direction.

Yep, it’s definitely a small sample size for both guys and we’ve all seen QBs make a second year jump after looking pretty mediocre initially.

I do take issue a bit with the calls for a more downfield pass game - they tried that early on with ZA and it was disastrous. Teams can absolutely win a lot of games consistently executing the short to intermediate pass game, running the ball, etc. Those slants everyone decries are working so why stop? If we’re running the ball successfully why stop? This isn’t the NFL or the 98 Vikes with Cunningham launching it to a streaking Moss who has burned a hopelessly outmatched DB by ten yards.

Outside of maybe JC we don’t have a big arm on the roster. No problem, execute a deadly effective dink and dunk pass offense with some really good WRs that don’t have much trouble getting open.

I definitely get where you are coming from, but it's not that surprising to me. Certainly might be a little of "One of Us" in play.

Not taking anything away from TM and his performance last year, I mainly think it is a combo of how quickly ZA learned/assimilated and emerged last year as the starter, his injuries, the understanding he played in games where the defense was handicapped, the changes and subsequent improvement of the O-line play, and the perception that he has a higher upside. All that being said, I believe ZA needs to demonstrate that his overall performance is clearly above TM for Fleck to again choose him as starter.

I believe when Fleck says it is a competition, it's not coach-speak. Both are highly competitive and push each other. Win/win. Hard for me to vote at this time...probably have a slight lean towards ZA in that he has shown the ability to outperform TM based on what he demonstrated in last year's competition, but really want to both in Fall practices.

I didn't mean the poll to be who we feel SHOULD be the starter, or who we would vote for, but more of who do you think it will be.

Did you see him in spring practices? he is truly improved he looked way better than TM in my eyes this spring. We will see what fall camp bring us.

Top Bottom