You will view the 2019 season as a success if:

2019 success if:

• Total voters

I could be convinced that one 8-5 gopher team is better than one 9-4 one, and the matchup you suggest is close, but I still think I'd go 2016. Same regular season record, but 2016 won their bowl. 2014 had the better win (and a trophy), but it also had the worst loss between the two seasons. I dont think it's crazy to pick 2014 in that matchup, but I'd go the other way.

I'd have to review in more detail. Perhaps 2016 was a better team, but it wasn't a better year overall. The 2014 team probably hit expectations, where 2016 missed expectations despite still winning the games they should have won.

I could be convinced that one 8-5 gopher team is better than one 9-4 one, and the matchup you suggest is close, but I still think I'd go 2016. Same regular season record, but 2016 won their bowl. 2014 had the better win (and a trophy), but it also had the worst loss between the two seasons. I dont think it's crazy to pick 2014 in that matchup, but I'd go the other way.
If the 2016 team would’ve played the team that lost the SEC title game, they wouldn’t have won their bowl game.

Link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In 2014 the gophers lost to the SEC championship game loser.

Well the gophers lost to Iowa in 2016.
Iowa lost to the team that lost the SEC title game by 27 in a bowl game in 2016

It is almost like...if you get a better bowl game you get tougher bowl matchups. It is speculation obviously. But if you don’t think Missouri in the Capital One Bowl was a tougher bowl opponent than Wazzu in 2016 I don’t know what to tell you. Feel free to disagree. I’d argue that 2014 Missouri was better than 2016 Florida and 2016 Wazzu.

Last edited:

Yep, all around.

And it’s just fine to agree to disagree. There is no objective correct answer. Just fun to discuss.

You’re entitled to your incorrect viewpoint.

This is to GopherForLife

Some may be ENTITLED to an opinion. I really don't like the term entitled though, you can ask me why latter.

You should have said to your opponent - If I wanted your incorrect opinion I will correct it & then tell you what the correct answer should be!

Thats how it works with some!

Last edited:

If the 2016 team would’ve played the team that lost the SEC title game, they wouldn’t have won their bowl game.

What you say is possible, but not definite fact. It's also possible that the 2014 gophers wouldnt have been able to beat a 7-2 Pac 12 team if that would have been their bowl matchup. I dont think it is a ridiculous argument that the 2014 team was stronger, I just dont agree.

What you say is possible, but not definite fact. It's also possible that the 2014 gophers wouldnt have been able to beat a 7-2 Pac 12 team if that would have been their bowl matchup. I dont think it is a ridiculous argument that the 2014 team was stronger, I just dont agree.

It actually would have been absolutely impossible for the gophers to beat a 7-2 pac 12 team in 2014 because there wasn’t one

I think the only way to decide which team was better (2014 or 2016) is to let someone impartial decide.

GSUsTALON should be impartial.

GSUsTALON, please review the 2014 schedule and the 2016 team and let us know which team was better.

I think the only way to decide which team was better (2014 or 2016) is to let someone impartial decide.

GSUsTALON, please review the 2014 schedule and the 2016 team and let us know which team was better.

I actually think 2016 was a better team, but think if they played the same schedule they’d probably have about the same record.
Both teams were equally above average

I actually think 2016 was a better team, but think if they played the same schedule they’d probably have about the same record.
Both teams were equally above average

I don't remember expectations for 2014, but 2016 under-performed expectations if I recall. Going in we were thinking win the West and beat WI and that did not happen.
Probably a better team, but it was disappointing for me as a fan.

I don't remember expectations for 2014, but 2016 under-performed expectations if I recall. Going in we were thinking win the West and beat WI and that did not happen.
Probably a better team, but it was disappointing for me as a fan.

I think the only difference in expectations was due to having a senior quarterback who had played a pretty good sophomore/junior season.

As it turns out, I don’t think ML7 was that much better as a senior than he was as a sophomore. If we had known that, our expectations would’ve been pretty similar.

Looking back:
Sr Cobb > young brooks and Smith
Maxx Williams, KJ Maye, Isaac Fruechte > Wolitarski, still, and freshmen Tyler johnson
IMO the 2014 defense was slightly better than the 2016 defense
I don’t remember enough about the o lines to compare.

The big reason for the high expectation was because 2014 the team was good, 2015 the team had some strangeness due to the coaching changes during the year, and 2016 the team should’ve been stable with a senior quarterback who was a 3 and a half year starter.

Liedner ended up having a higher passer rating as a sophomore than a senior and had a negative TD/INT ratio as a senior. Against FBS opponents as a senior he was 4 touchdowns to 12 ints. If you had known that going in your would’ve been happy with 9-4.

Last edited:

Looking back at those threads makes me feel better about sooofin.
He was just as unfunny sarcastic before Fleck as he is now

Looks like I wanted the Gophers to fail back then too.

This really isn't hard.

The 2014 Gophers beat Iowa 51-14, won at Michigan 30-14, and won at #21 (at the time) Nebraska. 4 of the 5 losses were to teams ranked in the top 25 - TCU, Wisconsin, Ohio St. and Mizzou. The one bad loss was at Illinois.

That was the year I distinctly remember Justin Conzemius predicting 12-0 on KFAN.

How is there such a delta on the 2016 predictions between the difference sources?

I sent you a PM Face The FACTS

You guys know a lot more about Minnesota's history than I do

2014 - 8-4 with a Bowl loss
Passing 142 ypg
Rushing 215 ypg
total yards 357
28 ppg
Ranked #37 out of 128 teams

2016 8-4 with a bowl WIN 10-4
Pass 174 YPG
Rush 184 YPG
Total 357
29 ppg

Ranked 27 out of 128 teams

I did not look up the power ratings for each team you played. Maybe the I bowl win had you jump 10 spots from the 2014 tam to the 2016 team. I would also have to guess that the teams you beat in the 2016 regular season were higher ranked at the time you plated them.

I'll go with 2016 but you would know better than I!

Last edited:

In 2014 the gophers lost to the SEC championship game loser.

Well the gophers lost to Iowa in 2016.
Iowa lost to the team that lost the SEC title game by 27 in a bowl game in 2016

It is almost like...if you get a better bowl game you get tougher bowl matchups. It is speculation obviously. But if you don’t think Missouri in the Capital One Bowl was a tougher bowl opponent than Wazzu in 2016 I don’t know what to tell you. Feel free to disagree. I’d argue that 2014 Missouri was better than 2016 Florida and 2016 Wazzu.

The 2016 Gophers beat Washington State, who beat USC, who beat Washington. Boom -- Gophers should've been in the College Football Playoff. We got screwed again!

What's interesting to me is how consistent or alike your offensive stats were in 2014, 2016 and 2018.

Passing 142 ypg
Rushing 215 ypg
total yards 357
28 ppg

Pass 174 YPG
Rush 184 YPG
Total 357
29 ppg

Last edited:

What's interesting to me is how consistent or alike your offensive stats were in 2014, 2016 and 2018.

Passing 142 ypg
Rushing 215 ypg
total yards 357
28 ppg

Pass 174 YPG
Rush 184 YPG
Total 357
29 ppg

THANKS FOR YOUR ASTUTE ANALYSIS TALON.
THAT"S SOME GOOD WORK RIGHT THERE!

I’m going with 2014 over 2016. I have a hard time getting excited about any of the 2016 wins, other than the bowl game, and that Penn State loss still bugs the hell out of me, as does the memory of Leidner’s four 2nd half interceptions in Wisconsin after leading by 10 at the half.

At least we beat Michigan, Iowa and Nebraska in 2014. I’ll take that over a bowl win.

Last edited:

I’m going with 2014 over 2016. I have a hard time getting excited about any of the 2016 wins, other than the bowl game, and that Penn State loss still bugs the hell out of me, as does the memory of Leidner’s four 2nd half interceptions in Wisconsin after leading by 10 at the half.

At least we beat Michigan, Iowa and Nebraska in 2014. I’ll take that over a bowl win.

I kind of agree with you.

And it was a far more difficult bowl opponent to boot. Yes, I’ll take the 2014 season too.

How about this ugly stat:

Minnesota has not lost fewer than 3 Big Ten conference games since 1967

Top Bottom