You will view the 2019 season as a success if:

2019 success if:

• Total voters
Also I know we've been over this a ton during bowl season but I don't know why we need to distinguish between regular seasons wins and bowl wins. They both count as one win in the final record.

7-5 plus a bowl win would be the exact same for me as 8-4 with a bowl loss. Both would ultimately result in 8-5 seasons.

One quibble - the bowl game is the final game of the season, and depending on the bowl, probably a more high-profile game than many regular-season contests. A win in the bowl game is seen as a successful end to the season, and provides momentum going into the off-season. a loss in the bowl game ends the season on a down note.

so, given your two choices, I would honestly rather go 7-5 and win a bowl, as opposed to 8-4 and lose a bowl game. yes, same final record. but a big difference in perception of the program. you want recruits, fans and sponsors to have that image of the team walking off the field after a victory.

One quibble - the bowl game is the final game of the season, and depending on the bowl, probably a more high-profile game than many regular-season contests. A win in the bowl game is seen as a successful end to the season, and provides momentum going into the off-season. a loss in the bowl game ends the season on a down note.

so, given your two choices, I would honestly rather go 7-5 and win a bowl, as opposed to 8-4 and lose a bowl game. yes, same final record. but a big difference in perception of the program. you want recruits, fans and sponsors to have that image of the team walking off the field after a victory.

100% correct.

Sadly, many here would rather beat Wisconsin in the regular season this year than have a season which overall enables us to get to 10 wins in 2020.

No patience. The “gimme now!” agenda.

I agree, I’d rather go 7-5 with a bowl win then 8-4 with a bowl loss for the reasons you stated. I made that comment more because many seem to think/imply that bowl wins are less important than regular season wins and a glorified exhibition which I disagree with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tamp, tamp. It's one of the most favorable and easy schedule in quite some time, on par with 2016 with the advantage of having one more B1G home game.

Gilb

For the life of me I can’t understand how someone could possibly think 9-3 with a bowl win is a better season than 10-2 with a bowl loss.

Likewise, I can’t understand how someone could possibly think 7-5 with a bowl win is better than 8-4 with a bowl loss.

For the life of me I can’t understand how someone could possibly think 9-3 with a bowl win is a better season than 10-2 with a bowl loss.

Likewise, I can’t understand how someone could possibly think 7-5 with a bowl win is better than 8-4 with a bowl loss.

It really comes down to who the wins and losses were against and other factors like injuries.

Say we lose a non-conference game because of an injury, but two weeks later the backup starts to play better than the starter who was hurt.
That loss to random MAC school looks bad, but when you are beating an SEC team in a Bowl game, suddenly you feel better with that than if you beat the MAC team and got blown out by Auburn.

It's more of a question of do you want your team to beat teams they should beat and lose to teams who you would be more likely to lose to.
Or
Would you sooner take a bad loss, but avenge that by beating a top 10 / top 25 team.

My quibble with your quibble: Regular season record matters more than Regular season + bowl game, IMO. Just like conference record matters more than non-conference record. In the end, you want to win them all, but to me I wouldn't mind having a season like Iowa's a few years back where they go perfect 12-0 in the regular season and lose an extremely close conference championship game than go 6-6 and win the Quick Lane bowl again.

My quibble with your quibble: Regular season record matters more than Regular season + bowl game, IMO. Just like conference record matters more than non-conference record. In the end, you want to win them all, but to me I wouldn't mind having a season like Iowa's a few years back where they go perfect 12-0 in the regular season and lose an extremely close conference championship game than go 6-6 and win the Quick Lane bowl again.

They got killed in the rose bowl

pass ;)

Because bowl games are usually nationally televised, the only game on TV at the time and often in a good time slot against a decent opponent. Also because usually, you have about a month of time in-between the last regular season game, you have much more buildup and anticipation than a regular game where you only have a week of anticipation.

I mean would you really rather beat a bad Illinois team at 11:00 am on BTN on a Saturday when there are tons of other games going on then beat an ok Georgia Tech team, an unique opponent from a P5 school that we have never played before on ESPN at a time slot when there are no other games or other major sporting events with a month of buildup? Like SON said, Bowl games are the last game of the season and a win can usually carry a ton of momentum into the offseason. I think are win against G-tech definitely gives us more momentum going into the offseason than a win at Illinois in the same fashion would have during the regular season.

Now if we are in serious contention for the Big Ten West, Big Ten title or the CFP then of course regular season wins matter more. But if we are not in contention for any of those things then I'd rather win a bowl game than a regular season game. The exception being if it is an opponent like CMU a few years ago.

Last edited:

It depends on what type of bowl game, and the level of the bowl opponent.

Ending the season at 7-6 can have two very different contexts, from playing a meh GT that doesn’t want to be there, vs playing an amped up Texas A&M program trying to get to 8 wins and salvage a good season.

It depends on what type of bowl game, and the level of the bowl opponent.

Ending the season at 7-6 can have two very different contexts, from playing a meh GT that doesn’t want to be there, vs playing an amped up Texas A&M program trying to get to 8 wins and salvage a good season.

What about an amped up GT team motivated to win one last game for their retiring coach? I can play this game too. Arbitrarily over or understating the difficulty of our games is fun.

What about an amped up GT team motivated to win one last game for their retiring coach? I can play this game too. Arbitrarily over or understating the difficulty of our games is fun.

Yeah I remember folks saying how Purdue didn't want to be there, Wisconsin didn't try, Georgia Tech didn't care cause Detroit, etc. It's funny how getting better makes your schedule suddenly look a lot worse.

Some guy -For the life of me I can’t understand how someone could possibly think 9-3 with a bowl win is a better season than 10-2 with a bowl loss.
Likewise, I can’t understand how someone could possibly think 7-5 with a bowl win is better than 8-4 with a bowl loss.[/QUOTE]

TALON - A 9-3 with a bowl win = 10 -3. The bowl game could pits the Gophers against a high ranked team outside of your conference.

You will should be on TV, make some bowl money & earn some status.

Last edited:

Yeah I remember folks saying how Purdue didn't want to be there, Wisconsin didn't try, Georgia Tech didn't care cause Detroit, etc. It's funny how getting better makes your schedule suddenly look a lot worse.

Yeah, GT didn't not want to be there until after we started kicking their butt up and down the field. Also, why is one of the biggest Fleck fans on this board going out of his way to diminish Fleck's accomplishments?

Yeah, GT didn't not want to be there until after we started kicking their butt up and down the field. Also, why is one of the biggest Fleck fans on this board going out of his way to diminish Fleck's accomplishments?

When you beat GT you deserved to win because the gophers proved it on the field!

As will GSU against the Gophers.

<b>9-2 with a bowl win = 10 -3. </b>The bowl game pits the Gophers against a high ranked team outside of your conference.

I’ve heard they teach math different now, but this is getting out of hand.

Now that we got the Wisconsin monkey off our back it's win the West or bust.

Here’s something everyone can agree on.

12–1 with a bowl loss is better than 7-6 with a bowl win.

Because bowl games are usually nationally televised, the only game on TV at the time and often in a good time slot against a decent opponent. Also because usually, you have about a month of time in-between the last regular season game, you have much more buildup and anticipation than a regular game where you only have a week of anticipation.

I mean would you really rather beat a bad Illinois team at 11:00 am on BTN on a Saturday when there are tons of other games going on then beat an ok Georgia Tech team, an unique opponent from a P5 school that we have never played before on ESPN at a time slot when there are no other games or other major sporting events with a month of buildup? Like SON said, Bowl games are the last game of the season and a win can usually carry a ton of momentum into the offseason. I think are win against G-tech definitely gives us more momentum going into the offseason than a win at Illinois in the same fashion would have during the regular season.

Now if we are in serious contention for the Big Ten West, Big Ten title or the CFP then of course regular season wins matter more. But if we are not in contention for any of those things then I'd rather win a bowl game than a regular season game. The exception being if it is an opponent like CMU a few years ago.

Call me crazy but I would rather have a more successful regular season and lose to a higher quality bowl opponent than have a worse regular season and get an easier matchup that we win.

Would of it been a worse season to beat Illinois but then lose to auburn in the bowl game?
Too bad Purdue didn’t lose to Ohio state...because then they wouldn’t have had to lose their bowl game to auburn.

I’d rather go 10-2 and lose to a top 15 team in a bowl game than go 9-3 and beat a top 30 team in a bowl game.

You can argue with my take all you want...I’ll still think you’re wrong.
You don’t build a program by beating mediocre teams in bowl games. You build a program by having sustained regular season success over time.

Call me crazy but I would rather have a more successful regular season and lose to a higher quality bowl opponent than have a worse regular season and get an easier matchup that we win.

Would of it been a worse season to beat Illinois but then lose to auburn in the bowl game?
Too bad Purdue didn’t lose to Ohio state...because then they wouldn’t have had to lose their bowl game to auburn.

I’d rather go 10-2 and lose to a top 15 team in a bowl game than go 9-3 and beat a top 30 team in a bowl game.

You can argue with my take all you want...I’ll still think you’re wrong.
You don’t build a program by beating mediocre teams in bowl games. You build a program by having sustained regular season success over time.

Chicken and egg argument. Teams are very generally evenly matched in bowl season at least in terms of W/L. There are occasional matches that don’t make sense or a deep dive into advanced stats predicts a likely train wreck eg Purdue vs Auburn, or a favorite of mine Iowa vs Stanford, but teams usually have to be pretty good in the first place to have a good bowl opponent.

Chicken and egg argument. Teams are very generally evenly matched in bowl season at least in terms of W/L. There are occasional matches that don’t make sense or a deep dive into advanced stats predicts a likely train wreck eg Purdue vs Auburn, or a favorite of mine Iowa vs Stanford, but teams usually have to be pretty good in the first place to have a good bowl opponent.
Chicken vs egg argument it is not

In a chicken vs egg argument you are debating what comes first

In a regular season vs bowl win you know which one comes first. Horrible analogy

Top Bottom