You will view the 2019 season as a success if:

2019 success if:

• Total voters
what is the difference between wins 8+ and wins 7 & bowl game? I guess that’s 8-4 regular season plus don’t care, and 7-5 regular season plus bowl win, but it’s not at all clear.

Where is the option for 6-6 regular season plus bowl win? That’s what i think will happen and that is still an improvement and therefore a success.

what is the difference between wins 8+ and wins 7 & bowl game? I guess that’s 8-4 regular season plus don’t care, and 7-5 regular season plus bowl win, but it’s not at all clear.

Where is the option for 6-6 regular season plus bowl win? That’s what i think will happen and that is still an improvement and therefore a success.

we were 6-6 with a bowl win last year, not sure that's improvement unless all 6 losses are by last second FG, and even then

For all the people who think less than 8 wins is a disappointment...

The Gophers have won 8+ games only 9 times since the US involvement in WWII (77 years). Including Bowl games. I'll be just fine with a seven win regular season. I'll be thrilled at anything more than that.

For all the people who think less than 8 wins is a disappointment...

The Gophers have won 8+ games only 9 times since the US involvement in WWII (77 years). Including Bowl games. I'll be just fine with a seven win regular season. I'll be thrilled at anything more than that.

So you were out of the country with no access to current events the last 7 years or so? The previous Gopher staff went to 5 straight bowl games! The previous Gopher staff won 8 or 9 games 3 of their last 4 years. It was all becoming a habit. Then we fired them to do better.
So yes! Under those circumstances 7 wins or less would not be satisfying to our Athletic Director or me in 2019 with the easiest schedule in a long time.

I think there is a real issue here that among Gopher fans we really haven't had that many seasons (maybe none in recent memory outside 2015 maybe) with as much the sense that we could be very good (elite one might say).

But historically plenty of teams out there loop promising year after year and those fans know, doesn't always happen....

Despite our nature for doom and gloom, I'm not sure how realistic everyone is about the likelihood of "promising" turning into "very good".

So you were out of the country with no access to current events the last 7 years or so? The previous Gopher staff went to 5 straight bowl games! The previous Gopher staff won 8 or 9 games 3 of their last 4 years. It was all becoming a habit. Then we fired them to do better.
So yes! Under those circumstances 7 wins or less would not be satisfying to our Athletic Director or me in 2019 with the easiest schedule in a long time.

I'm not sure why someone was fired determines how realistic anyone is being or the likelihood of actually doing the thing... ;)

We saw what happened when we fired Glen and hired Hot Chili...

we were 6-6 with a bowl win last year, not sure that's improvement unless all 6 losses are by last second FG, and even then

Apologies, thought we finished 5-7 last season and backed into the bowl game like in 2015.

7 wins it is, then.

At the very least 8 wins counting the bowl game.

If we go 7-6 fans have a right to be upset.

Personally I think we win 9 or 10. Lots of talent on this team.

7-5 regular season with a tough bowl opponent and a tight loss is acceptable.

7 regular season wins, with a division that’s going to be very tough, and a non-conf hah will be much tougher than anyone will give us credit for, is still an improvement.

I'm not sure why someone was fired determines how realistic anyone is being or the likelihood of actually doing the thing... ;)

We saw what happened when we fired Glen and hired Hot Chili...

I hear what you are saying, but I would be shocked if PJ himself...come New Year’s Day watching the Rose Bowl on tv...says to his posse, “Dang, we won 7 games this year! Let’s celebrate! That’s elite!”
No, we should all expect more than 7 wins. We are better than that!

I hear what you are saying, but I would be shocked if PJ himself...come New Year’s Day watching the Rose Bowl on tv...says to his posse, “Dang, we won 7 games this year! Let’s celebrate! That’s elite!”
No, we should all expect more than 7 wins. We are better than that!

No doubt, but those are two different things.

Fan expectations vs. what the coach is shooting for.

Coach wants to win every game... fan expectations of every game might be a bit much... most years ;)

No doubt, but those are two different things.

Fan expectations vs. what the coach is shooting for.

Coach wants to win every game... fan expectations of every game might be a bit much... most years ;)

Slab, we are at the point we can at least hope to win all the games on our schedule. By seasons end it is not too much for a Gopher fan to expect to win 8 or more games.
That means they lost 5 times. That is plenty of wiggle room in 2019.

7-5 regular season with a tough bowl opponent and a tight loss is acceptable.

7 regular season wins, with a division that’s going to be very tough, and a non-conf hah will be much tougher than anyone will give us credit for, is still an improvement.

It would be pretty tough selling recruits from the 2021 class that 7-6 this year would be an improvement from 7-6 last year. Most people nationally don't consider the Big Ten West too tough of a division, weak crossovers plus Fresno State won't he as good as they were last year. And even though GA Southern and SDSU might be better non con opponents than NMSU and Miami last year, they are still teams we should definitely beat.

It's ultimately not about improving but convincing recruits to think you are improving. I don't think many recruits would buy that as progress.

Last edited:

Also I know we've been over this a ton during bowl season but I don't know why we need to distinguish between regular seasons wins and bowl wins. They both count as one win in the final record.

7-5 plus a bowl win would be the exact same for me as 8-4 with a bowl loss. Both would ultimately result in 8-5 seasons.

It’s ludicrous to only look at the final W-L with no further context. I’m not claiming that recruits won’t indeed be that shallow. They may well.

But we can be more than simpletons in here.

And in that vein, it would be asinine to say that last year’s 6-6 finish and a win over a down and out GT squad that was losing its head coach and didn’t want to be there, is the “same” as finishing 7-5 and then getting a tough bowl opponent (like a Miss State or Texas A&M) and suffering a narrow defeat.

Regardless, I’m going with 7-5 regular season. Which will be a solid season. And then I’m hoping for the best in which bowl game, but there will be a lot of factors.

I guess defining success correlates with your expectations for the season. I have stated time and time again that I have high expectations for this season. There is no way I could define 7 or 8 wins as successful. It will take 10 wins and national attention for me to consider this a successful season. Let's win the BIG West, lets go to a major bowl game, lets shock the college football world!

I guess defining success correlates with your expectations for the season. I have stated time and time again that I have high expectations for this season. There is no way I could define 7 or 8 wins as successful. It will take 10 wins and national attention for me to consider this a successful season. Let's win the BIG West, lets go to a major bowl game, lets shock the college football world!

You can say that again

This is correct for 2020.

Have some freakin patience. Four years, not three.

It’s ludicrous to only look at the final W-L with no further context. I’m not claiming that recruits won’t indeed be that shallow. They may well.

And in that vein, it would be asinine to say that last year’s 6-6 finish and a win over a down and out GT squad that was losing its head coach and didn’t want to be there, is the “same” as finishing 7-5 and then getting a tough bowl opponent (like a Miss State or Texas A&M) and suffering a narrow defeat.

Regardless, I’m going with 7-5 regular season. Which will be a solid season. And then I’m hoping for the best in which bowl game, but there will be a lot of factors.

IMO hard to view the season as a success if the ultimate result is the same even if the team actually is better and the schedule is tougher.

Now I agree that just because the final records would both be the same doesn't mean the team didn't improve and get better than last year. But that doesn't really matter if recruits, local and national media, casual fans on the edge of buying tickets and people who look back 5-10 all view it as the same. By year 3, IMO, you have to look at the results instead of the eye test as your main measure of success.

Last edited:

I voted 9-wins. Quite honestly, with this schedule and this far into the PJ era and with this team if we win 8 or less in 2019 I will be terribly disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted 9-wins. Quite honestly, with this schedule and this far into the PJ era and with this team if we win 8 or less in 2019 I will be terribly disappointed.

The schedule will be plenty difficult.

You’re glib about college football to claim otherwise.

IMO hard to view the season as a success if the ultimate result is the same even if the team actually is better and the schedule is tougher.

Now I agree that just because the final records would both be the same doesn't mean the team didn't improve and get better than last year. But that doesn't really matter if recruits, local and national media, casual fans on the edge of buying tickets and people who look back 5-10 all view it as the same. By year 3, IMO, you have to look at the results instead of the eye test as your main measure of success.

Your view is probably the popular view. It is too simple for me. I can’t accept it. But to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 games is my "basement". We win less than that I'll be seriously wondering the future.

The schedule will be plenty difficult.

You’re glib about college football to claim otherwise.

Tamp, tamp. It's one of the most favorable and easy schedule in quite some time, on par with 2016 with the advantage of having one more B1G home game.

Wow! This might be the first Daily Double on the "Gopher Hole List of Excuses for Gopher Opponents" list:

"Caught them at a bad time/down year" coupled with "They didn't want to be there".

Could have gone for the Trifecta, and added "They felt disrespected". That one would have been applicable, and allowable.

Wisely stayed away from "Bad weather game."

Veteran move. Well played!

Avoiding measuring things by wins and losses makes it very easy to declare any season you want a success or failure depending on your agenda. I'd like to see us grab at least 9* wins so that I can stop reminiscing about the last time we had that many wins.

Avoiding measuring things by wins and losses makes it very easy to declare any season you want a success or failure depending on your agenda. I'd like to see us grab at least 9* wins so that I can stop reminiscing about the last time we had that many wins.

Solid!

Top Bottom