You will view the 2019 season as a success if:

2019 success if:

• Total voters
If you have mediocre regular seasons you’ll draw a mediocre bowl opponent, generally. If you have good regular seasons you’ll generally draw a tough opponent and implies the team has already been built in many to most cases. Building a competitive program requires...wins...which leads to recruiting and more wins. We are both into captain obvious territory. I was specifically addressing your last paragraph. I suppose one person’s “built” is another’s starter home.

all I'm saying is this:

given a choice, I would rather see the Gophers win the last game of the season as opposed to losing the last game of the season.

now, obviously, there can be all kinds of circumstances and situations that play into the equation. I will stipulate that, in certain situations, a regular-season victory could be seen as a "better" win than a bowl game victory.

But, all things being relatively equal, I still want the Gophers to win the last game of the season. because it's the last game of the season. Doesn't have to be a bowl game. if the Gophers are 4-7 going into the last game of the season, I still want them to win that game. Just a thing with me. You don't have to agree.

all I'm saying is this:

given a choice, I would rather see the Gophers win the last game of the season as opposed to losing the last game of the season.

now, obviously, there can be all kinds of circumstances and situations that play into the equation. I will stipulate that, in certain situations, a regular-season victory could be seen as a "better" win than a bowl game victory.

But, all things being relatively equal, I still want the Gophers to win the last game of the season. because it's the last game of the season. Doesn't have to be a bowl game. if the Gophers are 4-7 going into the last game of the season, I still want them to win that game. Just a thing with me. You don't have to agree.

Yeah I get this, to an extent. If we won the conference title for example and then lost the Rose Bowl, it would be fine. But on the flip side, it's always nice winning that last game. It makes the offseason seem a little better when you can think back about going out on a high note.

Winning a nationally televised bowl game > winning a game against Illinois (and maybe even Maryland).

I’ve heard they teach math different now, but this is getting out of hand

Does this fix it for you SpoonFin?

Some guy -For the life of me I can’t understand how someone could possibly think 9-3 with a bowl win is a better season than 10-2 with a bowl loss.
Likewise, I can’t understand how someone could possibly think 7-5 with a bowl win is better than 8-4 with a bowl loss.[/QUOTE]

TALON - A 9-3 with a bowl win = 10 -3. The bowl game could pit the Gophers against a high ranked team outside of your conference.

You will should be on TV, make some bowl money & earn some status.

Does this fix it for you SpoonFin?

Some guy -For the life of me I can’t understand how someone could possibly think 9-3 with a bowl win is a better season than 10-2 with a bowl loss.
Likewise, I can’t understand how someone could possibly think 7-5 with a bowl win is better than 8-4 with a bowl loss.

TALON - A 9-3 with a bowl win = 10 -3. The bowl game could pit the Gophers against a high ranked team outside of your conference.

You will should be on TV, make some bowl money & earn some status.

Simple addition only took you two tries.
Go GSU!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple addition only took you two tries.
Go GSU!
It only took me one try to fix the 9-2 thing but went back and added more to the post.

As long as you are satisfied, Spoon

GO, Gophers!:cool:

It only took me one try to fix the 9-2 thing but went back and added more to the post.

As long as you are satisfied, Spoon

GO, Gophers!:cool:

Spoon, Spoonin, Spoofin; whatever it takes. Your moniker should be CloseEnuf.

Here are my reasons for feeling confident about a 9-10 win season:

The Gophers did it in 2016 with a similarly weak schedule and I think we were close to the 10th win that year. It happens! I can still see all the empty seats at the 9th win, the Northwestern game and I was thinking uh-oh someone is going to lose their job.

Seniors Carter Coughlin and Tyler Johnson. These two young men are special and they will be men among boys this year. Fleck needs them to be drafted as high as possible so I expect them to be showcased.

Antoine Winfield. He will stay healthy this year and if you watch him at all you know he is going to dominate.

Rashod Bateman. For reasons already discussed he will be a difference maker while Johnson is earning his money drawing the double team.

Big Dan. Say no more.

The running game with Brooks and Smith. Watching Brooks run with patience last year at the Indiana game was a thing of beauty. When he is finally ready this year I expect he will be even more patient with his blockers. Rodney Smith same thing. Mo is going to be beast like and move some piles again.

The season will be a smashing success if the Gophers curb stomp gsu. Actually, I really, really want another victory against Wisconsin and 8 wins prior to that game. Would be fabulous.

The season will be a smashing success if the Gophers curb stomp gsu. Actually, I really, really want another victory against Wisconsin and 8 wins prior to that game. Would be fabulous.

Good Man!:cool: I'm glad you used the term "IF" in your post.

Last edited:

It really comes down to who the wins and losses were against and other factors like injuries.

Say we lose a non-conference game because of an injury, but two weeks later the backup starts to play better than the starter who was hurt.
That loss to random MAC school looks bad, but when you are beating an SEC team in a Bowl game, suddenly you feel better with that than if you beat the MAC team and got blown out by Auburn.

It's more of a question of do you want your team to beat teams they should beat and lose to teams who you would be more likely to lose to.
Or
Would you sooner take a bad loss, but avenge that by beating a top 10 / top 25 team.

On the positive side - in previous seasons a key injury or two would cost the Gophers winnable games. This 2019 class seem to have better team depth overall for the next man up to be a factor. I'd be disappointed with anything less than a seven win season plus a bowl victory.

The team stays healthy and improves as the year goes on. If that happens you’re looking at 9-3, 8-4, or even better.

Gophers have a legitimate shot at 10-2 to 12-0 this season. Not saying it will happen, but best shot in decades.

Gophers have a legitimate shot at 10-2 to 12-0 this season. Not saying it will happen, but best shot in decades.

Part of that is due to 12 game schedule.
2003 gophers were a blown 21 point lead from 10-2
1999 gophers were 8-3 and the 3 losses were 3 points in OT, 3 points, and 5 points

I’d say best shot in a decade. But not decade(s)

I’d rather go 10-2 and lose to a top 15 team in a bowl game than go 9-3 and beat a top 30 team in a bowl game.

Absolutely correct.

Also why if we finished 7-5 this season and then had a close loss to a Texas A&M, that would be an overall improved and better season that last year.

Absolutely correct.

Also why if we finished 7-5 this season and then had a close loss to a Texas A&M, that would be an overall improved and better season that last year.

No, it would not.

Winning and records matter, but so does who we play and who we beat.

Does anyone think the 9-4 squad in 2016 was better than the 8-5 team in 2014?

Handful of plays away from two more wins, on the road, in 2016.

I suggest you make it a poll, big fella.

Handful of plays away from two more wins, on the road, in 2016.

I suggest you make it a poll, big fella.

Every team, every year, is a few plays away from a few more wins.

Agree or disagree, the 2014 team was better than the 2016 squad?

I don’t really need to do a poll, it’s a simple question. Why won’t you answer?

You posted "does anyone think..." begs for a poll. Go ahead, big fella, get your answers.

I could be convinced that one 8-5 gopher team is better than one 9-4 one, and the matchup you suggest is close, but I still think I'd go 2016. Same regular season record, but 2016 won their bowl. 2014 had the better win (and a trophy), but it also had the worst loss between the two seasons. I dont think it's crazy to pick 2014 in that matchup, but I'd go the other way.

Top Bottom