Alex Reigelsperger medically retires

Best of luck to young man

Does anyone know what "medical non-counter" means, in NCAA parlance?

He was one of my favorite recruits in that class. It's too bad some kids don't get the chance to realize their dreams in a sport. Health is way more important.

It also explains all of the defensive end recruits this year.

Bummer but there is a LOT more to life than football. Wise choice young man and best wishes.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Bummer, I was thinking he was going to be a good one on the field! Sounds like he's a good one off the field however so best of luck to you young man! A bad injury certainly can change your perspective on the direction of your life so do what's best for you.

Sucks for him, but he made the right decision, he's got a long life ahead of him. Best of luck to him!

Concussion issues? Anyone know what the story is?

He has always been on of Fleck's most prolific tweeting recruits. On signing day, when Fleck reviews all the players, he mentioned Alex was all over twitter.

Best wishes to him as he continues his education at the U with a broad focus on life.

In his tweet he said he had a very serious neck / head injury in April.

Guess I missed that part of the tweet linked. Very sad. Sounds like a wise decision to hang up the cleats and focus 100% on the books.

Football is a brutal game, but it's good to see that he is able to pursue his degree securely. Wish him well!

He fractured his C4 Vertebra and is undergoing memory and speech therapy according to the Star Tribune.

He fractured his C4 Vertebra and is undergoing memory and speech therapy according to the Star Tribune.

He also had shoulder surgery as a freshman. A friend of family told me last fall he was doubting he would play again because of ongoing shoulder issues.

I wish him the best.

Anyone/everyone feels bad anytime a kid has to quit due to health reasons but this one hurts a little extra because this kid has been such a positive representative of the program. He has gone out of his way to tweet positive things, recruit others, etc. Glad to hear he is staying at the U. And, as has already been pointed out - a highly regarded recruit that I was looking forward to seeing on the field.

Anyone/everyone feels bad anytime a kid has to quit due to health reasons but this one hurts a little extra because this kid has been such a positive representative of the program. He has gone out of his way to tweet positive things, recruit others, etc. Glad to hear he is staying at the U. And, as has already been pointed out - a highly regarded recruit that I was looking forward to seeing on the field.

And he keeps his scholarship, very nice.

I don't think the school has the option to revoke them (and it would be a complete dick move even if they could) due to injury.

You're correct. The fact that it doesn't count against the scholarship total is nice though.

STrib article said PJ offered him a position to stay with the team and help that he's strongly considering

Man. Football is a vicious game. Here's to a full recovery and a successful future. Happy that he is able to continue his education here.

I don't think the school has the option to revoke them (and it would be a complete dick move even if they could) due to injury.

That's why at big schools you see a lot of medical retirements ... and rumors of forcing the student to do that.

On the other hand, the alternative pressures might be far worse.

Health scares have a way of making people re-prioritize. Good luck to you Mr. Reigelsberger.

That's why at big schools you see a lot of medical retirements ... and rumors of forcing the student to do that.

On the other hand, the alternative pressures might be far worse.

I mean, we pretty much think that's how we got St-Juste, no?

I mean, we pretty much think that's how we got St-Juste, no?

Very possibly.

That one was a weird one, holding him out that long ... like sometime you think you'd give the guy the option to see how it goes, it wasn't concussion problems, weird to keep holding him back unless they were trying to push him out...

Man. Football is a vicious game. Here's to a full recovery and a successful future. Happy that he is able to continue his education here.

+1000. It makes you wonder about Smith, Brooks, and Winfield as to how well they have recovered.

Good luck Alex.

Top Bottom