Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 2019 Gophers = 1998 Vikings - 15-1

1998 was my last year as a Vikings fan but I see some similarities to this year's Gopher squad. Surprising and powerful on offense but unlike the Vikings in 1998, this Gopher squad has a defense that will stop people.

Tyler Johnson - Cris Carter
    Rashod Bateman - Randy Moss
    Chris Autman-Bell - Jake Reed
    Rodney Smith - Robert Smith
    Daniel Faalele - Dave Dixon (NZ but you get the idea)
    ..................- ..................

Easy Trigger (love your enthusiasm though)

You quit being a Vikings fan after that year?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    You quit being a Vikings fan after that year?
    Yeah a lifelong Vikings fan, I went to each playoff game that year and that loss to Atlanta broke me. The fans cared more than some of the players = $$$$$$$$.

Stay off drugs.

Also, your last sentence makes no sense. The Vikings were ranked 6th in defense in 1998.

I'll settle for 10 - 2

Ahhh... There are no team weaknesses (in early July). Anyone know how you are going to divide up the travel between Indianapolis, plus the two rounds of playoffs? I think I can do a road trip for Indy which should keep prices down for that trip but between tickets, air, and lodging - I am concerned about my budget AND my vacation balances at work when I go to watch the Gophers playoff drive to the national championship.

How will the Gopher ticket office distribute championship game tickets? I'm assuming season ticket holders will get first dibs but what about the new Gopher Pass ticket holders? Do they count as season ticket holders for purposes of getting those tickets?

This is all so stressful. Why can't the Gophers just be like Wisconsin or Iowa - it is just so much easier planning for the Outback Bowl.

Playing 16 games this coming season isn't something I see happening.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    Ahhh... There are no team weaknesses (in early July).

How will the Gopher ticket office distribute championship game tickets? I'm assuming season ticket holders will get first dibs but what about the new Gopher Pass ticket holders? Do they count as season ticket holders for purposes of getting those tickets?
    I have slightly lower expectations - Pasadena. Well not really an expectation, more like a hope, sometime in my life and just maybe...this year.

Ahhhh, Gopher Hole; where the slightest glimmer of optimism or show of enthusiasm is immediately greeted with the sloshing of wet blankets. And sarcasm.

You gotta love us Minnesotans. Must be the climate... or the mosquitos.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Stay off drugs.

Also, your last sentence makes no sense. The Vikings were ranked 6th in defense in 1998.
    Not quite 6th overall, they were 6th in points allowed.

Passing offense 4,328 270.5 1st
    Rushing offense 1,936 121.0 11th
    Total offense 6,264 391.5 2nd
    Passing defense 3,452 215.8 19th
    Rushing defense 1,614 100.9 11th
    Total defense 5,066 316.6 13th

They were sieve like at times.

13th out of 32 teams is not great.
    Last edited by GopherDog1; 07-09-2019 at 07:31 AM.

The gophers this year look very promising... in a way we usually don't see.

But because we don't see it I think some fans maybe misunderstand how much of a sure thing "promising" is / isn't ....

I am not saying CFP this year but more like 10-2 and the Big Ten Championship game followed by the Rose Bowl is what I hope for. Obviously the 15-1 remark is for people who don't recall the '98 Vikings team record. Nobody saw that coming either.

EDIT: The 1997 Vikings were 9-7.
    Last edited by GopherDog1; 07-09-2019 at 07:49 AM.

I had friends and relatives who stopped being Vikings fans after the '98 season. The same ones stopped again after 2000, too. Then once again after 2009, and lately after the 2017 season.

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    Ahhhh, Gopher Hole; where the slightest glimmer of optimism or show of enthusiasm is immediately greeted with the sloshing of wet blankets. And sarcasm.

You gotta love us Minnesotans. Must be the climate... or the mosquitos.
    There is a tremendous difference between a "glimmer of optimism" and insane ramblings. But you already knew that, and yet posted anyway.