Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    Fresno lost a lot of talent off of last year's team I believe. Good chance this is a bit of a down year for them.
    They did but they have a good coach... good coaches can pull off some magic now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    They did but they have a good coach... good coaches can pull off some magic now and then.
    Very true. My guess is that like GSU they will be solid but not spectacular and will be a team the Gophers should beat as long as we play well and avoid lots of costly mistakes.

Default ESPN Preseason FPI Rankings - Gophers #28

This doesn’t really deserve its own post, so I’ll put it here.

At 11:30 into the “Crystal Ball” podcast on the Hawkeye Nation website, Steve Deace picked Minnesota to win the Big Ten West. The other guy called him an “idiot.” Deace is more of a Michigan fan than an Iowa fan, but he’s one of the few people out there who seems to know what’s going on with all teams in Big Ten football, so I pay attention to what he says. I can’t get the link to the “Crystal Ball” podcast, but it’s on the front page.

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    You’re right. Fleck has shown us that.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

I've said Minnesota could win the West before. This is the first time I have really believed it. That's not necessarily because I think this squad will be a juggernaut, but because things just seem to be lining up nicely overall, and they aren't brittle due to depth -- a single injury or two won't likely wreck the season.

Default Minnesota Gophers 2019: ESPN FPI’s game-by-game predictions

Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0 View Post

The MN fan in me gets nervous when expectations are raised.

Feels like a dud is sure to follow

With that said, I'm optimistic for gophers this year, but I'm thinking 8-4, but would be giddy with 10-2, even though losing another to Hawkeyes

The Gophers are finally good enough to dream of a special season where everything goes right. If you are a 52% favorite in 10 games, you are probably still going to lose 5 of them. But, it is at least possible to daydream about a special season where all 10 are won. So, I have been saying all along that my official prediction is 8-4 which would be another step forward for an improving team. I'd be a bit disappointed at 7 wins and 6 or less would be a step back in my book. I would be surprised at anything more than 8 wins, but not shocked. Anything more than 8 means some things that normally don't go the Gophers way are indeed happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0 View Post
    10-2 is an awesome finish no matter what, but if iowa or penn state don't finish at the top of the west/east respectively (or at least compete until the last week or so) I think I'd be a little bummed at what could've been. Either way, if the gophs are 8-0 going into penn state, I may need to see if I can fly in for that game...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleB View Post
    I dont think the East is that good to put 4 ahead of the West
    I am not buying into PSU and a new QB
    questions at OSU with new coach but they always seem to handle a bump in the road
    MSU is primed for a comeback year

so if they are all beating each other up they cannot and will not end up all above the Gophers and Iowa in the West
    Preseason RPI rankings are pretty meaningless as they rank heavily based on W-L of opponents. Since pre season there are no W-L, it’s somewhat garbage. Mid to late season, around selection committee ranking time, I think the RPI is a lot more meaningful.