Gophers Unveil All-Mobile Ticket for $199.96

I always wonder if the athletic department watches threads like these on GH.

As someone who does customer research for a living, they damn well should.

Yes, they should and they absolutely do read the board and these threads.

Go Gophers!!

MN Daily: Gopher football unveils a newer, cheaper ticket plan

After TCF Bank Stadium saw its lowest average attendance numbers on record in 2018, the University of Minnesota released its newest football ticket package on Monday — one aimed at luring more fans into the stadium seats.

The new “Gopher Pass” will allow fans to attend all seven home games for the 2019 season for about $200. The University described it as the "most flexible plan ever" for Gophers fans in a press release sent out on Monday.

The pass is an all-mobile ticket, and fans will have a digital ticket delivered to them by text message before each game. In the event of a sellout, the pass does not guarantee fans a seat in the game, just stadium entry and access to a standing-room-only area.

Fans will pay an average of $28.56 per game, a considerable drop for marquee games such as the highly anticipated rivalry game against Wisconsin. The cheapest seat for the 2019 rivalry game on StubHub, a secondary market for tickets, is just under $70.

The Gopher Pass is a part of a recent trend in University Athletics toward make games more affordable and inviting for fans.

https://www.mndaily.com/article/2019/07/n-gophers-football-offering-new-ticket-plan

Go Gophers!!

You do bring up a good point...how much do they cannibalize their existing ST base with a program like this one.

For people who want to sit in different seats every game, it's perfect. That would be about 1-2% of the ST base.

For people who want to sit in different seats every game, it's perfect. That would be about 1-2% of the ST base.

I always had 6-8 empty seats near where I sit for every game last year including Iowa (section 103). Without improvement guessing any ticket that gets you into the stadium pretty much gets you seating wherever you want.

IF they make progress on filling the stadium on game day this year, then STH's would probably not look at mobile as a way to go. If they don't, or it backslides worse, I'd take advantage of it for sure because it would save me about $600 on my pair. It's not likely I can't just buy back my original seats the year after if I find I don't like it. That's close to $100 a week added to my tailgate budget.

Given that there are rarely more than 2 premium games a year, it's really a program that pays me $300 on two game days to sit in worse seats than normal, and the stadium's pretty good seating throughout.

Last edited:

It's a step in the right direction, but if they would take away the seating fee with the exception of the prime seats in the stadium, I truly believe you would see tickets move like never before. "Mega Tongue" left his legacy and it has cost the Ath. Dept. big time in all the major sports at the U of M. One would think that the AD would and does see this and make the change. If he did, it would go along way in improving the peoples perception of him.

Exactly what I was thinking. A decent plan, and worth considering. But it's still a bandage for self-inflicted wound.

JTG

Curious - if you buy tickets with a specified seat - and you move around during the games, do the ushers bust your chops?

I can remember trying to move around during the Metrodome years to go sit with friends, etc - and the ushers would want to see your tickets, and ask you to move if you were not in your assigned seats. The Twins really used to crack down on that, even when they were drawing 10,000 people a game in the Dome.

From what I see here, I don't think the ushers do much checking at games. The Twins, OTOH, seem fanatical about it. I've seen Twins ushers boot people from nearly empty sections in the late innings.

Personally, I hate it when I have to bounce someone out of my seat. I despise the advice some people post here: "Just buy the cheapest ticket and sit wherever you want."

I buy the best ticket I can afford (which is usually near the middle of the price range, so nothing special.) And that's where I sit.

JTG

Bought 1 yesterday. Had Season Tickets until 2 years ago and couldn't justify the price versus the street prices. Went to all games last year for around $50 total and $40 the year before. Now I can get in the door versus the Badgers- and don't have to scalp. I move around during the game - along the rail on the lower level- so this is perfect. The added perk of adding tickets and joining friends if I want are also nice. Lastly- I don't have to worry about remembering my ticket!

From what I see here, I don't think the ushers do much checking at games. The Twins, OTOH, seem fanatical about it. I've seen Twins ushers boot people from nearly empty sections in the late innings.

Personally, I hate it when I have to bounce someone out of my seat. I despise the advice some people post here: "Just buy the cheapest ticket and sit wherever you want."

I buy the best ticket I can afford (which is usually near the middle of the price range, so nothing special.) And that's where I sit.

JTG

Yeah - the Twins are pretty strict unless it's an upper deck section down the line. Sometimes those sections don't have ushers, but then again those are the cheapest seats.

Curious - if you buy tickets with a specified seat - and you move around during the games, do the ushers bust your chops?

I can remember trying to move around during the Metrodome years to go sit with friends, etc - and the ushers would want to see your tickets, and ask you to move if you were not in your assigned seats. The Twins really used to crack down on that, even when they were drawing 10,000 people a game in the Dome.

I wasn't questioned at all last year and I moved around frequently.

NMSU - Sat in my seats
Fresno - brought some friends who did the pizza promotion and we found 6 seats together in the section over from mine
Miami - Game was so hot, I went over to the shade (most miserable I've ever been at a football game from weather)
Iowa - Gave my tickets to my brother in-law (I share tickets with him and he gives me his to a different game)
Indiana - Raining - sat in the last row of the student section under the canopy
Purdue - It was cold and I walked around frequently
Northwestern - Sat in my seats

Maybe I am the idiot and should save a bunch of money and buy the All-Mobile pass. I didn't realize it until now but I only sat in my season ticket for two games.

Yeah - the Twins are pretty strict unless it's an upper deck section down the line. Sometimes those sections don't have ushers, but then again those are the cheapest seats.

Walk to seats like you own them, they leave you alone. I've moved around plenty at twins games, and sat in some pretty premium seats

JTG

I think in a gopher game I've always sat in my assigned seats.

After a long rain delay, vs SJSU iirc, we did move to LL 50 yard line, but were amongst maybe 5k fans that returned.

Twins games I've taken advantage of buying SRO tickets and sitting in good seats

Walk to seats like you own them, they leave you alone. I've moved around plenty at twins games, and sat in some pretty premium seats
Tried. Checked every time. Probably just depends on luck of which usher you have. I even saw an usher.go through a section and check tickets of people that were already seated. He then made them move.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I used to have two really good seats in row 2 behind the visitors bench around the 40 yard line, and even then I only sat down there for about half the game sometimes. I liked walking around and standing in various vantage points throughout the game.

I was sort of hoping they would offer a standing room only ticket, sort of like the Twins did for this year, but this will probably be ideal for me, since in this case I will rarely ever sit the assigned spot, and have really embraced either squatting in a really good seat(I waited until the 2nd quarter and did not sit unless it was a pretty open area) or hanging out in a good standing area- end zone plaza, topf of lower bowl, or the upper area on the visitor side)

I think this was a great, creative idea that will fill some of these unused seats. Probably, they are still betting that Fleck will win big this year, so they can risk keeping the seating fees in place and reap the benefits down the road. If it works, good for them, but there are probably a few more plans yet to be sprung to get some more bodies in seats this year, win or lose.

Last edited:

Bought 1 yesterday. Had Season Tickets until 2 years ago and couldn't justify the price versus the street prices. Went to all games last year for around $50 total and $40 the year before. Now I can get in the door versus the Badgers- and don't have to scalp. I move around during the game - along the rail on the lower level- so this is perfect. The added perk of adding tickets and joining friends if I want are also nice. Lastly- I don't have to worry about remembering my ticket!

You did not buy tickets to all of the games and spend $50 total, nor $40 the year before. If someone else paid for some/most of the games? Sure.

You did not buy tickets to all of the games and spend $50 total, nor $40 the year before. If someone else paid for some/most of the games? Sure.
Once again, I find myself in agreement with DPD68. $40 or $50 or the year, not even close to reality.
no no no

The amount I paid last year was a lot more than previous years (on the street), and a lot of times I just went to the box office and paid retail during the Big Ten season. ($80 once, 40 plus other times)

It is possible that there were fewer tickets flowing to the street in recent years, as there are many less season ticket holders(declining total#) dumping tickets, so the U of M was old holding more tickets and selling them to Iowa or other die hard fans or those like me that could not find them on the street.

Regardless, this new program is good for me and good for any Gopher fan to sign up righ now for $49.96.

Last edited:

If I had the free time to go to all 7 games, this would be very tempting.

Once again, I find myself in agreement with DPD68. $40 or $50 or the year, not even close to reality.
no no no

The amount I paid last year was a lot more than previous years (on the street), and a lot of times I just went to the box office and paid retail during the Big Ten season. ($80 once, 40 plus other times)

It is possible that there were fewer tickets flowing to the street in recent years, as there are many less season ticket holders(declining total#) dumping tickets, so the U of M was old holding more tickets and selling them to Iowa or other die hard fans or those like me that could not find them on the street.

Regardless, this new program is good for me and good for any Gopher fan to sign up righ now for $49.96.

The only way I see it as possible (although I'm skeptical) is if he bought on street right after game started and sellers were looking to ditch tickets.

I will say for Purdue game we saw few tickets just laying around anyone could've picked up. I saw 2 right at the gate

I would guess that one could have got in the door to 6 games last year (all but Iowa) by spending around $50, total.

The only way I see it as possible (although I'm skeptical) is if he bought on street right after game started and sellers were looking to ditch tickets.

I will say for Purdue game we saw few tickets just laying around anyone could've picked up. I saw 2 right at the gate

I never have had much success getting scalpers to bite on this at other events...maybe I'm picking the wrong scalpers. Most will come down a little but none would fire sale the tickets, even though they clearly had a fistful of tickets.

I would guess that one could have got in the door to 6 games last year (all but Iowa) by spending around $50, total.

That is more plausible, though still very doubtful.

That is more plausible, though still very doubtful.

It would be interesting to see someone take the challenge and see how they could do it where they see how cheaply they can attend all games for a given season and document it all, just on a ticket price basis.

Rules:

1. Has to actually buy the ticket and attend (not just see it for sale and pretend).
2. Taxes, fees (if using a third party site) all count.
3. No handouts / free tickets from friends, that just sort of breaks everything and varies wildly from person to person. I bring people all the time, those folks never pay, I just like having them there, but it would't reflect anyone else's experience.
4. A friend dumping a ticket for cheap ... not sure I want to count that as you could game the system that way.

Could be a fun game.

I never have had much success getting scalpers to bite on this at other events...maybe I'm picking the wrong scalpers. Most will come down a little but none would fire sale the tickets, even though they clearly had a fistful of tickets.

I've never tried, although I've never bought on street. I like having everything planned out (to an extent)

Sold few times to those guys with extras, usually get $5-10/ticket

Actually- you got me there- I did not go to the Purdue game last year. I spent $15 on Iowa- which was the most for any ticket last year and didn't make it in until halfway through the first quarter.

No other ticket was more than $10 with a few being $5. I planned to scalp a ticket to the Opener against New Mexico and as I was walking up to the stadium- people were handing out tickets.

I did the Red Baron deal for Miami of Ohio and Fresno State- so I spent $9 on Pizza with a free ticket. I can assure I did not spend more than $50 on tickets in 2018.

In 2017- people were giving away tickets to almost every game except Wisconsin. After the storm prior to Michigan State and the delay it caused- there were lots of people who were in line and decided to leave- and were handing out their tickets. $40 for the season is probably a little on the high side for what I paid. The most I paid was $10 for Nebraska. There were a lot more tickets on the street in 2017 because expectations were high going in- after reality sat in, season ticket holders had extra tickets. In 2018, lots of season ticket holders dropped their extra tickets and there were not as many on the street before games. I expect even less this year, which has tipped the scale back on the side of getting a season ticket for me.

I do fully expect tickets to be harder to scalp this year...the bandwagon will be rolling. Thus- I bought the pass.

I don't know what you pay for tickets- but I am guessing you have an inflated idea of their value the last few years. Sometimes reality is hard to take.

Actually- you got me there- I did not go to the Purdue game last year. I spent $15 on Iowa- which was the most for any ticket last year and didn't make it in until halfway through the first quarter.

No other ticket was more than $10 with a few being $5. I planned to scalp a ticket to the Opener against New Mexico and as I was walking up to the stadium- people were handing out tickets.

I did the Red Baron deal for Miami of Ohio and Fresno State- so I spent $9 on Pizza with a free ticket. I can assure I did not spend more than $50 on tickets in 2018.

In 2017- people were giving away tickets to almost every game except Wisconsin. After the storm prior to Michigan State and the delay it caused- there were lots of people who were in line and decided to leave- and were handing out their tickets. $40 for the season is probably a little on the high side for what I paid. The most I paid was $10 for Nebraska. There were a lot more tickets on the street in 2017 because expectations were high going in- after reality sat in, season ticket holders had extra tickets. In 2018, lots of season ticket holders dropped their extra tickets and there were not as many on the street before games. I expect even less this year, which has tipped the scale back on the side of getting a season ticket for me.

I do fully expect tickets to be harder to scalp this year...the bandwagon will be rolling. Thus- I bought the pass.

I don't know what you pay for tickets- but I am guessing you have an inflated idea of their value the last few years. Sometimes reality is hard to take.

I'm a season ticket holder and have been for every year of TCF. I monitor the secondary market and am well aware of what's available and at what cost, which is how I knew your claims were BS. I'm glad that you admitted it.

I'm a season ticket holder and have been for every year of TCF. I monitor the secondary market and am well aware of what's available and at what cost, which is how I knew your claims were BS. I'm glad that you admitted it.

Just as self-righteous as ever. No wonder nobody likes you. 'Monitor the Secondary Market'- I hope you don't mean checking StubHub. Unless you are outside the stadium with cash in hand and buying tickets- you have no clue what you are talking about.

I don't have anything against people that move around to different seats or buy cheap ones and then slide into better ones once they are in the venue. My brother has operated in that way his entire life. But for me, I have two scales - a scale of fun and a scale of discomfort. It is definitely more fun to sit in better seats. But for me, it is a discomfort to be kicked out of seats. So, I'd rather sit in worse seats with zero chance of getting kicked out of them. I'm the kind of guy that rarely moves, even when others have left.

This has paid off in its own way. I sit in the same seats in the same section every Gopher game. We sort of noticed the younger dudes that sit behind us were regulars too. We'd occasionally exchange high fives on a big Gopher play but didn't talk much. That all changed a couple years back when we attended a game at Iowa. We checked out the campus and decided to go into a bar for a bloody mary before heading back to our tailgate spot. Literally the only other people in that bar were these guys that sit behind us. It was a coincidence that led to a conversation, an invite for them back to our tailgate spot, and now two years later we all hang out together, plan tailgate food together, know each other's families, etc. etc. We look forward to seeing them every home game now.

Top Bottom