Shooter: Murphy's jersey could be retired next yr; expected to play Europe for $100K

BleedGopher

Reaction score

per Shooter:

It looks like ex-Gopher Jordan Murphy’s No. 3 jersey could be retired at Williams Arena as early as next season. Meanwhile, Murphy, playing for the Timberwolves summer league team in Las Vegas, next season is expected to play in either Greece, Italy or Spain for about $100,000.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/06/charley-walters-future-looks-bright-for-minnesotas-3m-open/

Go Gophers!!

He has looked pretty good in summer league. He is a pretty fun player to watch when the offense doesn't go through him. I wouldn't have said this a month ago, but it wouldn't absolutely shock me to see him get some run in the NBA at some point in his career. He is athletic enough to challenge the pick and roll, he rebounds, he runs the floor. He's kind of a Faried-light.

He has looked pretty good in summer league. He is a pretty fun player to watch when the offense doesn't go through him. I wouldn't have said this a month ago, but it wouldn't absolutely shock me to see him get some run in the NBA at some point in his career. He is athletic enough to challenge the pick and roll, he rebounds, he runs the floor. He's kind of a Faried-light.

Agree. End of bench guy you don't have to pay a lot. Great team guy, give you some energy off the bench, grab some rebounds and give some fouls.

Agree. End of bench guy you don't have to pay a lot. Great team guy, give you some energy off the bench, grab some rebounds and give some fouls.

And his drive. If anyone tuned into that end of season podcast (on this blog) someone did with his mother— She expressed how driven Jordan is and that he constantly wants to keep learning and excelling. Plays the game like he has to constantly improve himself. Not everyone does that.

I love Murph and 100% agree that he deserves to have #3 retired, but why would he be on the fast track while Willie Burton has waited nearly 30 years for an equally deserved honor? Willie is the number 2 scorer in program history, was first-team All-Big Ten (something Murph never accomplished) and led his teams to a Sweet 16 and Elite 8 (again, Murph never accomplished either of those). It would feel wrong for Murphy to suddenly leapfrog Burton in the queue for the rafters.

I love Murph and 100% agree that he deserves to have #3 retired, but why would he be on the fast track while Willie Burton has waited nearly 30 years for an equally deserved honor? Willie is the number 2 scorer in program history, was first-team All-Big Ten (something Murph never accomplished) and led his teams to a Sweet 16 and Elite 8 (again, Murph never accomplished either of those). It would feel wrong for Murphy to suddenly leapfrog Burton in the queue for the rafters.

They have to have gotten a degree. Guessing Willie hasn't because , yes, he is one of the best.

I don't disagree, but Murphy was named First Team Big Ten. Burton has his degree, he deserves it.. I also think guys like Quincy Lewis and Sam Jacobson who didn't cheat deserve it as well

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Murphy was First Team All Big-Ten last season (media) and second team by the coaches. I don't really get into comparing players or what jerseys should be retired over others, but Murphy absolutely deserves to have No.3 hanging in the rafters. In addition to his monster numbers, he represented the school with class and positivity when others were getting in trouble. He was a fan favorite, that stuff matters.

I don't disagree, but Murphy was named First Team Big Ten. Burton has his degree, he deserves it.. I also think guys like Quincy Lewis and Sam Jacobson who didn't cheat deserve it as well

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Jacobson is a criminal. Doubt he'll get his jersey retired.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Murphy was First Team All Big-Ten last season (media) and second team by the coaches. I don't really get into comparing players or what jerseys should be retired over others, but Murphy absolutely deserves to have No.3 hanging in the rafters. In addition to his monster numbers, he represented the school with class and positivity when others were getting in trouble. He was a fan favorite, that stuff matters.

Both you and Bemidji are right about Murph being first team All-Big Ten this year (I forgot about the media vote), so my apologies for that oversight. Otherwise, I don't disagree with a word you wrote, Murph is ABSOLUTELY worthy of having his number retired, my point is that Willie Burton is too, with one apparently being fast-tracked while the other is being slow-played, which I can't figure out.

Top Bottom