Sid: Eric Kaler is leaving the U athletic department in better shape than he found it

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Eric Kaler’s tenure as University of Minnesota president came to an end this week as Joan Gabel took over as the first female president in school history.

For Kaler it marks the end of a tenure that started in 2011 and included a number of big changes in the athletic department.

He said that in his mind, Gabel is starting in a much better position when it comes to facilities and fundraising than he did, but he said there are still challenges ahead as revenue sports face big questions when it comes to attendance.

“I have tried to leave a university that is well-positioned across the board, and I think that is true in athletics, as well,” he said. “There are always cost pressures. The amount of money needed to be competitive continues to grow, and [athletic director] Mark Coyle and others continue to work hard to generate the revenue to pay those expenses.

“The financial tension that is present in just about every athletic department across the country will be here for President Gabel. I know she has a high interest in athletics and I think will be a great leader for the university.”

One thing that Kaler pointed out is that the Athletes Village already is proving to be a game-changer.

“Athletes Village is a huge upgrade in facilities for us,” he said. “I think that will enable our coaches to recruit more effectively and also enable our student-athletes to have a better experience. I think that’s a facility that has equipped the department to be more competitive going into the future.”

http://www.startribune.com/former-u...artment-in-better-than-he-found-it/512305442/

Go Gophers!!

Unbelievable article by Sid! No, unbelievable....really.

Given that previous presidents the last 50 years were all versions of Malcolm Moos, leaving Gopher athletics in better shape wasn't a real great feat.

Last edited:

Top Bottom