PJ Fleck Interview new - Sunday 7-7-19

Look, you can argue that the things he lies about are meaningless and it isn’t a big deal — but the bolded part is just not true. To say something that you know isn’t true with the intent to mislead is a lie. Nothing underhanded in calling it so. To say we won 4 of 5, that he took a paycut to come here, that 80% of our players are underclassmen, etc. etc. are falsehoods and therefore lies. It’s not coach speak either. Underhanded would be more like the “maturation” comment you made on here not long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s actually 73-77%, depending on which site you’re looking at. 80% isn’t accurate, but it’s not really that much of a stretch. Maybe he’s never sat down to do the math? Maybe he did the math in his head? Or...maybe he just sucks at math. It’s hard for me to get worked up over that.

Last edited:

Thank you SON for the PJF update. I appreciate your efforts.

The gopher roster indicates 37/99 players are upperclassmen (or thereabouts). This was discussed a few weeks ago. Why do we have to keep having these discussions?

I literally counted from the Gophers sports website and 247. Both of those sources have numbers far different than those.

Yeah you’re right. Hast makes waste and I’ll happily eat my shoe. Close enough though? We’re not about calling out errors...

Last edited:

It’s actually 73-77%, depending on which site you’re looking at. 80% isn’t accurate, but it’s not really that much of a stretch. <b>Maybe he’s never sat down to do the math? Maybe he did the math in his head? Or...maybe he just sucks at math. </b>It’s hard for me to get worked up over that.

You are right. PJ doesn’t seem to be a detail guy. LOL. Being a detail guy is why PJ is so successful and a great coach. Again, be fine with it - but let’s not pretend.

One might suggest he started the debate.

Absolutely. But if he hadn't, are you also suggesting the same hashed and rehashed and re-rehashed complaints wouldn't have shown up? Based on previous history, I find that doubtful.

Look, message boards are awesome and a great unfettered (almost) place to air opinions. And no one is ever required to read anything. I just find redundancy to be dull.

It's cool that I can come to Gopher Hole and be put straight as to what coachspeak is.

Were Kill or Mason ever full of sh*t at times? I didn’t really pay much attention, but I’m guessing they probably were. Especially Mason.

Oh yeah, they all are. All college coaches are full of it. They all get called on it on message boards.

The only slight difference (IMO), is that there is a group of people that love PJ that pretend the sh*t he peddles is the truth. It's not. It's part of coaching, so it doesn't bother me, but he is just as full of sh*t as the rest of them.

we pretty much require them to take some level of classes

Interesting.

Probably a good path to keeping guys on track and out of trouble? Hopefully.

Oh yeah, they all are. All college coaches are full of it. They all get called on it on message boards.

The only slight difference (IMO), is that there is a group of people that love PJ that pretend the sh*t he peddles is the truth. It's not. It's part of coaching, so it doesn't bother me, but he is just as full of sh*t as the rest of them.

Can you imagine a board like this when Lou Holtz was coach?

I am at a point now where I don't care what Fleck says.

My gut feeling is that he does these interviews because it's expected of him. I don't think it's the focus of his day. He gets asked variations on the same questions every week, and gives variations of the same answers. That is on the hosts as much as it is on Fleck.

The point is - I don't think Fleck is putting all that much thought into his answers. he gets asked question 6b, and gives prepared answer 6b. The statements that people find questionable are things that Fleck has in the memory bank, and he tosses them out almost by rote. When Sid asks the weekly question about red-shirt freshman, Fleck gives the exact same answer about Spann-Ford and Dunlap.

I'm at a point now where, if Sid & Co. are not going to ask any new or different questions, I would cut Fleck back to maybe once a month in the off-season until fall practice starts.

I am at a point now where I don't care what Fleck says.

My gut feeling is that he does these interviews because it's expected of him. I don't think it's the focus of his day. He gets asked variations on the same questions every week, and gives variations of the same answers. That is on the hosts as much as it is on Fleck.

The point is - I don't think Fleck is putting all that much thought into his answers. he gets asked question 6b, and gives prepared answer 6b. The statements that people find questionable are things that Fleck has in the memory bank, and he tosses them out almost by rote. When Sid asks the weekly question about red-shirt freshman, Fleck gives the exact same answer about Spann-Ford and Dunlap.

I'm at a point now where, if Sid & Co. are not going to ask any new or different questions, I would cut Fleck back to maybe once a month in the off-season until fall practice starts.

Not only that, but I swear it's the same dam questions every week in some form or another.

One might suggest he started the debate.

Not really, sort of like letting my idiot dog out the door and watching him chase a squirrel. And about as meaningful although the idiot dog thinks he's doing something really important.

Top Bottom