Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Nation's Longest Non-Conference Win Streak?

Not 100% sure on this, but I did a bunch of Wikipedia browsing while laid up with a bum leg tonight and couldn't find anyone with a non-conference win streak longer than our's. It wasn't particularly close either.

The Gophers last lost a non-conference game to #2 TCU in September 2015 and are currently on a 15 Game win streak. Acknowledging that it hasn't exactly been a murderer's row, that still didn't stop the rest of the country from losing a bowl or a buy game during that time period. Just something kind of neat to get us through the off-season. Let me know if you see any corrections needed.

The years don't count the exact date of bowl games, just the season.

The Gophers:

W - vs Georgia Tech
    W - Miami (OH)
    W - Fresno State
    W - New Mexico State
    W - Middle Tennessee State
    W - @ Oregon State
    W - Buffalo
    W - vs Washington State
    W - Colorado State
    W - Indiana State
    W - Oregon State
    W - vs Central Michigan
    W - Ohio
    W - Kent State
    W - @ Colorado State
    L - TCU

The Rest of the Country (kind of):

Iowa - 2016 Florida
    Nebraska – 2018 Troy
    Wisconsin – 2018 BYU
    Illinois – 2018 South Florida
    Northwestern – 2018 Notre Dame
    Purdue – 2018 Auburn
    Indiana – 2016 Utah
    Michigan – 2018 Florida
    Michigan State – 2018 Oregon
    Ohio State – 2017 Oklahoma
    Penn State – 2018 Kentucky
    Maryland – 2018 Temple

Iowa State – 2018 Washington State
    Kansas – 2018 Nicholls State
    Kansas State – 2018 Mississippi State
    Oklahoma – 2018 Alabama
    Oklahoma State – 2016 Central Michigan
    Texas – 2018 Maryland
    Texas Tech – 2018 Ole Miss
    Baylor – 2018 Duke
    TCU – 2018 Ohio State
    West Virginia – 2018 Syracuse

Syracuse – 2017 LSU
    Boston College – 2018 Purdue
    Pittsburgh – 2018 Stanford
    Virginia – 2018 Indiana
    Virginia Tech – 2018 Cincinnati
    North Carolina – 2018 East Carolina
    North Carolina State – 2018 Texas A & M
    Duke – 2017 Army
    Clemson – 2017 Alabama
    Miami – 2018 Wisconsin
    Florida State – 2018 Florida
    Louisville – 2018 Kentucky
    Georgia Tech – 2018 Minnesota
    Notre Dame – 2017 Stanford

Washington State – 2017 Michigan State
    Washington – 2018 Ohio State
    Oregon – 2017 Boise State
    Oregon State – 2018 Nevada
    Stanford – 2018 Notre Dame
    California – 2018 TCU
    USC – 2018 Notre Dame
    UCLA – 2018 Fresno State
    Arizona – 2018 Houston
    Arizona State – 2018 Fresno State
    Colorado – 2016 Oklahoma State
    Utah – 2018 Northwestern

Florida – 2017 Florida State
    Georgia – 2018 Texas
    South Carolina – 2018 Virginia
    Alabama – 2018 Clemson
    Auburn – 2017 UCF
    Ole Miss – 2017 California
    Mississippi State – 2018 Iowa
    Tennessee – 2018 West Virginia
    Vanderbilt – 2018 Baylor
    Kentucky – 2017 Northwestern
    LSU – 2017 Notre Dame
    Arkansas – 2018 North Texas
    Missouri – 2018 Oklahoma State
    Texas A&M – 2018 Clemson

Houston – 2018 Army
    UCF – 2018 LSU
    South Florida – 2018 Marshall
    Tulane – 2018 Ohio State
    Navy – 2018 Army
    Temple – 2018 Duke
    Cincinnati – 2017 Michigan
    UCONN – 2018 Syracuse
    East Carolina – 2018 NC State
    Memphis – 2018 Wake Forest
    SMU – 2018 Michigan
    Tulsa – 2018 Arkansas

Buffalo – 2018 Troy
    Kent State – 2018 Ole Miss
    Miami OH – 2018 Army
    Ohio – 2018 Cincinnati
    Toledo – 2018 FIU
    Akron – 2018 South Carolina
    Bowling Green – 2018 Georgia Tech
    Eastern Michigan – 2018 Georgia Southern
    Western Michigan – 2018 BYU
    Central Michigan – 2018 Michigan State
    Northern Illinois – 2018 UAB

San Diego State – 2018 Ohio
    Fresno State – 2018 Minnesota
    Air Force – 2018 Army
    Boise State – 2018 Oklahoma State
    Wyoming – 2018 Missouri
    Colorado State – 2018 Illinois State
    New Mexico – 2018 Liberty
    San Jose State – 2018 Oregon
    Utah State – 2018 Michigan State
    UNLV – 2018 Arkansas State
    Hawaii – 2018 Louisiana Tech
    Nevada – 2018 Toledo

We'll add five more wins assuming the NCG isn't a BCG rematch.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

I would rather see the Gophers play one "name" opponent in the non-conf schedule. Even if that means they lose some of those games. that is one of the things holding the Gophers back from making it to that "next level" we talk about - being able to play, and defeat, other power-5 opponents. the kind of games that get you on national TV and draw attention to the program.

one big win over a good team would do more for the program than multiple years of beating Directional State and the University of Wherever.

Yes, but there is some small level of marketing value in starting the season 6-0, 7-0 or whatever and the pundits start debating whether team XYZ is real. This happens almost every year. It is at this point the meat of the respective schedules hit and the wheels generally fall off in spectacular fashion.

Its ok to play a tough non conference opponent when we are talented enough to compete. We really havent been there. Maybe we are now but i would take a win over a lesser opponent than loss t an earlier vs a team like TCU. It deflates early optimism.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    I would rather see the Gophers play one "name" opponent in the non-conf schedule. Even if that means they lose some of those games. that is one of the things holding the Gophers back from making it to that "next level" we talk about - being able to play, and defeat, other power-5 opponents. the kind of games that get you on national TV and draw attention to the program.

one big win over a good team would do more for the program than multiple years of beating Directional State and the University of Wherever.
    It is a double-edged sword. While it is great to play a tough nonconference schedule, you have to have the talent to match against such opponents.

We'd like to see what PJ Fleck is building come to fruition. They are not there yet. I do like where the recruiting is leading.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc1001 View Post
    Its ok to play a tough non conference opponent when we are talented enough to compete. We really havent been there. Maybe we are now but i would take a win over a lesser opponent than loss t an earlier vs a team like TCU. It deflates early optimism.
    On one hand, I like the idea of 'tune-up' games, especially with a younger roster like the Gophers had last season. Let everybody get some game reps, try some experimental stuff if you like, and hopefully rack up 3 wins.

On the other hand, I was under the impression that the non-con games don't count in the conference standings. So if you lose one or two non-con games, it doesn't hurt you if your goal is a B1G division title.

Somebody please set me straight if I'm wrong about that.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

It is a fairly nice streak. If I remember correctly the Gophers have only lost to TCU in 2014 and 2015 in the regular season, otherwise Minnesota is undefeated in non-con since 2012. I do agree that some better opponents would be nice. Doesn't have to be top tier, but Power 5 would be good. That match up with Syracuse in 2012 was great.
    You guys are playing like this is some throw away game up in Rochester.

Alabama here in late November. Make it happen PJ.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post

I think you're arguing for something that sounds wonderful on paper, but just isn't/shouldn't be the priority. I think from a fan standpoint, it gets things hyped up and is a blast (that TCU game was fantastic to be at-one of the most electric games I've attended-even with both teams being somewhat lackluster on the field). But the issues relied on the fact that we had just come off back-to-back 8 win seasons and people were reasonably optimistic about the year, which was done by beating those low tier non con teams and winning some in conference games. The winning in conference is what will get us back on the map. Look at the Wisconsin model to how they got "known" as an upper tier team. It was definitely not through playing top flight opponents non-conference. That came later as their teams established themselves. Instead when you're developing a program, bowl games (and wins) are important and conference wins are important (paging Wren). While it would be huge for them to play and win against a solid non-conference "name" team, it takes being good for awhile for that to be possible, both from a winning standpoint as well as from a scheduling standpoint. That's just my opinion.

I enjoyed the USC series even though it went sideways. I was the lone guy standing up and cheering wildly in a sea of sullen fans every time Kiffin stupidly went for two and failed (at the Coliseum) and Shortell almost pulled out the miracle game winning drive. Even though they failed that was a fun game.

I do remember some of the guys, particularly Ge Shun Harris looking around in seeming awe before the game instead of listening to Kill et al. Going on the road to storied facilities is pretty cool.

I really hope that PJF continues to build the program so that we can schedule some competitive P5 non-con games in the future. But agree that it’s more important to get the Ws and make bowl eligibility at the stage the program is at now. In two or three years...? It’s awesome as a fan to know there is a marquee game coming up early in the season. The chatter and analysis is fun. And also gets the program covered in places leading up to the season that makes for good PR. The buildup to that early TC game when they were highly ranked was another level. At the right stage of the program I would love to have that every year or two heading into a season.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBulldog View Post
    I really hope that PJF continues to build program so that we can schedule some competitive P5 non-con games in the future. But agree that it’s more important to get the Ws and make bowl eligibility at the stage the program is at now. In two or three years...? It’s awesome as a fan to know there is a marquee game coming up early in the season. The chatter and analysis is fun. And also gets the program covered in places leading up to the season that makes for good PR. The buildup to that yearly TC game when they were highly ranked was another level. At the right stage of the program I would love to have that every year or two heading into a season.
    I to this day think Kiffin was point shaving the game at TCF. We covered by 1/2 point and he was 0/3 on 2 point conversion.

This is how my brain remembers it anyways

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    I enjoyed the USC series even though it went sideways. I was the lone guy standing up and cheering wildly in a sea of sullen fans every time Kiffin stupidly went for two and failed (at the Coliseum) and Shortell almost pulled out the miracle game winning drive. Even though they failed that was a fun game.

I do remember some of the guys, particularly Ge Shun Harris looking around in seeming awe before the game instead of listening to Kill et al. Going on the road to storied facilities is pretty cool.
    I was there as well with my brother at the Coliseum. He lives in Southern California. Anyway it was a good time all in all. Just had some Hawkeye/ SC wannabee fan next to us talking crap the whole time. How did I know, he told us. Again Kill had the team ready to play.

IIRC 0/2 on the 2 point conversions at the coliseum and if Shortell hadn’t thrown the pick it would have been the reason for the loss. All they had to do was get in field goal range. Missed opportunities...huge opportunity

Kiffin. “What an idiot!” - W. Ferrell