Tifton Gazette: Bateman rows into sophomore season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Becky:

Former Tift County athlete Rashod Bateman is nearing his second season as a member of the University of Minnesota football team.

All eyes will be upon him this year. An outstanding campaign saw him set freshman records for the Golden Gophers in both receptions (51) and yards (704) and win Big 10 Freshman of the Week in November for his play against Illinois. At the end of the season, Minnesota named Bateman and offensive lineman Daniel Faalele as Offensive Freshman of the Year.

Bateman said his summer on the field is going well.

“Everything’s going smooth,” he said.

The Gophers are in the midst of practices for the 2019 season, which is set to start Aug. 29 at TCF Bank Stadium against South Dakota State.

Minnesota is full of optimism as to what is to come, with Bateman being a significant reason for it. The Golden Gophers are one of the nation’s oldest college football programs — on the field a full decade before anyone in the Peach State eyed a pigskin — but have had their difficulties in the Big 10. They last earned a conference championship in 1967.

The Golden Gophers were exceptionally young last season on offense. Every last quarterback candidate was a freshman. Leading rusher Mohamed Ibrahim was a redshirt freshman. The only offensive stat leader with experience was Tyler Johnson, who led the receiving corps with 1,169 yards and 12 touchdowns. Bateman was second best among receivers, at 704 yards and six tallies.

Despite the inexperience in scoring points, Minnesota won its first three regular season contests. They hit a snag midseason with four straight losses in-conference, but rebounded well, ending the regular season with their first win over arch-rival Wisconsin since 2003 and for the first win in Madison since 1994. From there, they went to the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit and torched Georgia Tech, 34-10.

“Winning the Axe as a freshman was pretty special,” Bateman said. “The guys have worked very hard to get the job done.”

“It was just a special thing to see with all the fans and everybody in the athletic department that’s been working hard and put forth the effort to make that finally happen. It was a very special moment for Minnesota that day.”

Minnesota had dueling quarterbacks last season in Tanner Morgan and Zack Annexstad. In the spring game, Annexstad threw for 191 yards and a touchdown and Morgan had 139 yards and two touchdowns. (Bateman earned the maroon squad’s Sid Hartman MVP for his six catches and 164 yards.)

“They’re both just competitors,” said Bateman. “They don’t compete against each for the job.” He said that no matter who is under center, Minnesota will be headed in the right direction.

Besides Johnson and Bateman, Chris Autman-Bell racked up plenty of yardage as a receiver in 2018. Bateman said he works well with them.

“They’re both like my older brothers,” he said. All have different areas of strength, he said. “We help each other out.”

There were adjustments to be made from high school. Strength, he said, was a big one.

“I’ve gained a lot of weight and muscle since I’ve been here,” said Bateman. As a high school senior, he was listed as 170 pounds. The latest roster indicates he has added 30 more pounds, every bit of it muscle. “I feel like the strength of the game and how fast it is was the big change for me.” He said he put even more effort into the offseason on getting better.

Bateman had catches in every game, though it took until game No. 4 to secure his first touchdown, a twisting grab against Maryland. It did not take him long to get ahead of defenders from there. A 67-yard bomb against Indiana on Oct. 26 was the game-winner.

A short pass versus Illinois turned into a 61-yard touchdown because of his speed. Later in the same contest, he outran six defenders for an 86-yard score.

Bateman said spring football had been a big help for him, and, coupled with the year of experience from 2018, the game had slowed down for him.

He’s catching up on the field, but off the field was something else entirely: Minnesota winters.

While snow is rarely more than a rumor here, the Twin Cities has more than enough. February set a record for Minneapolis (31.5 inches fell through Feb. 21) and a city government page for Minneapolis even has specific rules for shoveling the white stuff.

“It was rough, but it was also excitement at the same time,” Bateman said. He still hasn’t been ice skating, but he has turned into a hockey fan. “Our hockey team here at the University of Minnesota are really talented and are pretty good, so me and a couple of teammates usually go to a couple of hockey games because they’re really fun to go to.” He rates lake life as his favorite part of being in the Twin Cities.

“Minnesota summers are something to enjoy,” he said.

Bateman’s goals for 2019 likely double as the Golden Gophers’. “Win the Big 10 and eventually get to the playoffs and go to the national championship.” Personally, he said, “Whatever happens to me, happens to me. I don’t have any set goals for myself because I feel like they’d be selfish for me. Whatever God has in store for me, then that’s what’s going to happen for me.”

Minnesota snagged Bateman as a verbal commitment to Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck in June 2017, just before his senior season. He went on to make it official during the early college signing period in December.

In between those dates, Bateman smashed Tift County’s records for yardage and touchdowns. He finished his career with 29 touchdowns, besting Darrien Teals’ mark of 21. Twenty-one of Bateman’s scores were as a senior, a record since the Tifton Blue Devils became Tift County in 1962.

Since leaving South Georgia, Fleck’s influence on Bateman has been huge.

“He’s been a father figure to me,” he said. “After the trials and tribulations that has happened in my life,” Bateman has been able to walk into Fleck’s office and talk about life. “It’s not just always football with him.” Of course, Fleck’s energy is a plus, too.

Bateman was all-in on Minnesota, getting an R.T.B. tattoo about a week before he arrived on campus. That stands for “Row the Boat,” one of Fleck’s sayings that carried over from his tenure at Western Michigan. “I wear it with pride,” he said.

Among his other ink are numbers that represent his hometown. On the back of an arm is “229,” Tift County’s area code.

https://www.tiftongazette.com/sport...cle_f7e5e17c-9ddb-11e9-b4ab-6bb1e75682cc.html

Go Gophers!!

Fun read.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The sky is the limit for Bateman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic article! Bateman, coupled with Johnson, will make our passing game very dangerous this year. I foresee +1,000 yards and +8 TD’s for Rashod this year!

He will be a first or second round draft pick, book it.

I've been watching this team since the early 80's. We've had some good receivers, but no one with the absolute speed and route running he has. Our best receiver I remember ever having, and that's after one year. I can't wait to see what he does this year.

I've been watching this team since the early 80's. We've had some good receivers, but no one with the absolute speed and route running he has. Our best receiver I remember ever having, and that's after one year. I can't wait to see what he does this year.

He definitely has the most potential.....speed, hands, leaping ability, great instincts in the open field, decent size, and he appears to be driven to be great.

This season, he’ll still be sharing the workload with Tyler. Next year will be a monster year for him, assuming he stays healthy, of course, and it will probably be his last year here.

Quite a change from the RUTM RUTM RUTM days! I am looking forward to a Gophers wide open Offense.

It's not only Bateman and Johnson. We've got some talent behind them!

He will be a first or second round draft pick, book it.

**full disclosure, my maroon colored glasses are on**

Faalele and Bateman have the possibility to be 1st round picks in the same draft. Crazy to think about. Has that ever happened in the past?

Obviously a lot has to happen between now and then but it's a possibility. Dan screams high draft pick and Rashod has a chance to be the focal point of the offense in 2020 and put up monster stats.

Faalele and Bateman have the possibility to be 1st round picks in the same draft. Crazy to think about. Has that ever happened in the past?

Obviously a lot has to happen between now and then but it's a possibility. Dan screams high draft pick and Rashod has a chance to be the focal point of the offense in 2020 and put up monster stats.

Are you sure you are not wearing rose colored glasses?

Bateman has the chance to be the focal point of the offense in 2019. He may end up with more catches and yards than Johnson.

Bateman has the chance to be the focal point of the offense in 2019. He may end up with more catches and yards than Johnson.
I know this analogy is not spot on because we're talking about amateurs here, but I see a comparison between Randy Moss and Chris Carter when I think of Bateman and Johnson.
Bateman has pure athleticism going for him. Johnson has route precision going for him. Given a quarterback that can throw on target, these two receivers could be lights out fantastic this season.

I know this analogy is not spot on because we're talking about amateurs here, but I see a comparison between Randy Moss and Chris Carter when I think of Bateman and Johnson.
Bateman has pure athleticism going for him. Johnson has route precision going for him. Given a quarterback that can throw on target, these two receivers could be lights out fantastic this season.

Tyler Johnson is pretty dang athletic too. He could have played D1 basketball.

Add Autman-Bell (Jake Reed) to make “3 Deep.”

Tyler Johnson is pretty dang athletic too. He could have played D1 basketball.
I wasn't saying he's not athletic. However, my guess is Bateman can beat him in the 100 yard dash and can hit a higher mark in a vertical jump.
Both are wonderful athletes. We just need a QB who can get the ball into their hands.

Top Bottom