B1G head coach rankings (Fleck #9)

pk2

Reaction score
From collegefootballnews.com

9. P.J. Fleck, Minnesota

All of a sudden, right after a 55-31 embarrassment against Illinois, it’s as if everything clicked, There might have been a loss to Northwestern over the last four games, but the Golden Gophers destroyed Purdue, crushed Wisconsin – breaking a LONG hex – and annihilated Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl. This is all starting to work. Fleck is putting it all together to be dangerous.

Last Season Preseason Ranking: 12

The entire league:

14. Ash
13. Locksley
12. Allen
11. Smith
10. Brohm
9. Fleck
8. Day
7. Frost
6. Ferentz
5. Franklin
4. Chryst
3. Dantonio
2. Harbaugh
1. Fitzgerald

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/07/big-ten-preseason-head-coach-rankings-preview-2019

"It's as if everything clicked"

Or, perhaps, there was a shakeup in the coaching staff?

Harbaugh still highly rated from his Stanford days.

Coaching the clear number 2 job in the conference he has averaged a 3rd place finish in his division

Harbaugh still highly rated from his Stanford days.

Coaching the clear number 2 job in the conference he has averaged a 3rd place finish in his division

The two head coaches before him averaged 6.5 wins/season and close to 8th overall in the B1G. He has 3 more B1G wins in three fewer seasons than those two combined.

The two head coaches before him averaged 6.5 wins/season and close to 8th overall in the B1G. He has 3 more B1G wins in three fewer seasons than those two combined.

Hoke’s failures at MI don’t justify Harbaugh’s under-achievements. He’s better than Brady. Cool. Let’s not list all coaches that are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoke’s failures at MI don’t justify Harbaugh’s under-achievements. He’s better than Brady. Cool. Let’s not list all coaches that are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's pretty much on par with Carr, Moeller, and Bo in their first 4 seasons there. Three of four years ranked top 15.

9, 8, 7 whatever

How is Day at 8? Sympathy vote?

Dantonio, Ferentz, Franklin definitely more deserving than Chryst. Chryst’s Squad choked and choked badly last season. Perhaps, perhaps as Chryst builds his own regime and his own roster something’s not right in Mad Town.

My take. 4, 5, and 6 should be in sell mode. They will never be higher than this. Time will tell.

Looking at all the B1G coaches as a list, two things stand out to me:

1) Without Urban Meyer, the "star power" is severely diminished. Harbaugh maybe qualifies, but he's been struggling some at his alma mater.

As of right now, B1G coaches fall into two categories: solid but unspectacular veteran coaches on the one hand, and an unproven group of young guns on the other.

2) Fitgerald has consistently accomplished more, with comparatively less talent on his roster. He might be the best of the bunch at present. Vastly underrated.

Last edited:

Top Bottom