STrib: Amir Coffey: Decision to leave Gophers early for NBA was 'easy'

Tonight coffey was high scorer and outplayed clippers 2018 first round pick in Jerome Robinson.

Honestly, why would you come back and risk your pro career to injury for anything less than a highly likely sweet sixteen team?

They had a nice run last year. And this year's team, even with him, wasn't necessarily shaping up to be as good or better.

Every player without long term capital steps onto the court risking their pro career. Every football player who takes the field is in the same position. You seem to be implying that once a player is in or around mock draft status....they should pack up and leave.

Amir had 19 points (7/14) 9 rebounds, 6 assists and the game clinching basket in the final 10 seconds. Also got a post game interview.

He played well. His on ball defense was not good in this game tonight as the Kings consistently drove by him at will at the top of the key. Not sure if Amir was expecting a pick and roll and thus help side but that was really the only negative for him in this game.
In

If it was easy he should've gone all in right away so we could've recruited for his spot. Would have been nice to sell his minutes

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Good take on Coffey's performance last night:

"Amir Coffey shows out – This was a near-spectacular performance from Coffey. He hit the game-sealing shot for the Clippers with just a few seconds left, rounding out an impressive line of 19 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, and just 1 turnover. He created shots for teammates with smart passing on the perimeter and drive and kicks, and only forced his own shot a couple times. His rebounding was a nice boon without the services of Terance Mann, with the rebounding amplified by Coffey’s using his athleticism to push the ball hard in transition. Once out in the open court, Coffey was a menace, powering through contact or using finesse moves to clear space to finish. Amir’s outside shooting remains a weakness (1-5), but there’s clearly an NBA player there due to his size, athleticism, and good scoring instincts. If he can play within himself and develop a respectable outside shot, the Clippers could have a steal."

https://www.clipsnation.com/2019/7/...ify-for-summer-league-championship-tournament

Good take on Coffey's performance last night:

"Amir Coffey shows out – This was a near-spectacular performance from Coffey. He hit the game-sealing shot for the Clippers with just a few seconds left, rounding out an impressive line of 19 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, and just 1 turnover. He created shots for teammates with smart passing on the perimeter and drive and kicks, and only forced his own shot a couple times. His rebounding was a nice boon without the services of Terance Mann, with the rebounding amplified by Coffey’s using his athleticism to push the ball hard in transition. Once out in the open court, Coffey was a menace, powering through contact or using finesse moves to clear space to finish. Amir’s outside shooting remains a weakness (1-5), but there’s clearly an NBA player there due to his size, athleticism, and good scoring instincts. If he can play within himself and develop a respectable outside shot, the Clippers could have a steal."

https://www.clipsnation.com/2019/7/...ify-for-summer-league-championship-tournament

As one who thought he should have stayed another year- wow, so far it is appearing like he might have made the right move. I hope he makes the Clippers roster!

As one who thought he should have stayed another year- wow, so far it is appearing like he might have made the right move. I hope he makes the Clippers roster!

I am glad to see him succeed. I don't follow the NBA closely enough to know how summer league translates into regular league success, but there used to be a phrase in college basketball- Summer League All-American- that described guys who dominated in the no defense summer pro-ams and never did much of note when it really counted. I think we had a few here. Steve Esselink comes to mind. Hopefully, Amir, at full health and full motivation, is really the player most of us thought he could be in the pros and not a flash in the pan summer league player.

He already did as he signed a two way contract making him the 16th-17th man for up to 45 days of the season.

I also thought he should have stayed another year just to continue the development of his game. When he stepped up with the confidence in his abilities, he was unstoppable last year. But he also would lapse back into his shell sometimes. Obviously, he has trained very well in the off season and is asserting himself more consistently and showing that he deserves a legitimate shot at the NBA. I think the Clippers did get him for a steal. Another year of playing in the B1G at his current level most likely would have made him a first round pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also thought he should have stayed another year just to continue the development of his game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think I agree. I think he was used by the Clippers summer league team the way he should have been used and that's a big reason why he was successful in summer league. He had no business being a point guard although I guess those duties probably improved his ball handling somewhat. I suspect he will do well in the D League and maybe well enough in his temporary NBA appearances and that will do more for his career prospects than staying another year in college would have.

He already did as he signed a two way contract making him the 16th-17th man for up to 45 days of the season.

Although it's not the general rule, players can be converted to a regular (usually league minimum) contract in the year following the two-way contract. For example, Shake Milton did it this offseason.

I don't think I agree. I think he was used by the Clippers summer league team the way he should have been used and that's a big reason why he was successful in summer league. He had no business being a point guard although I guess those duties probably improved his ball handling somewhat. I suspect he will do well in the D League and maybe well enough in his temporary NBA appearances and that will do more for his career prospects than staying another year in college would have.

So can you explain exactly how he is being used differently by the Clippers than he was as a Gopher. I am confused, because in an interview he said he was being used as a combo 1-3 by the Clippers, similar to what he had done in college. I have also seen him bring the basketball down the court in the summer league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the Timberwolves are undefeated in the summer league. So does anyone think these stats mean anything?

And the Timberwolves are undefeated in the summer league. So does anyone think these stats mean anything?

The Wolves actually have a pretty loaded summer league team. They really do a great job on picking up good UDFAs plus Okogie and KBD are playing a fair amount. There seems to be a fair few Gopher fans out there that would rather be right about an argument than see a local kid make it. Really a shame. We want all these highly touted kids to stay home and then when they go pro, we don’t support them.

The Wolves actually have a pretty loaded summer league team. They really do a great job on picking up good UDFAs plus Okogie and KBD are playing a fair amount. There seems to be a fair few Gopher fans out there that would rather be right about an argument than see a local kid make it. Really a shame. We want all these highly touted kids to stay home and then when they go pro, we don’t support them.
. I hope he makes the association and does well. But the summer league is just that, along way from the NBA. It does seem like he made a good decision and will make good money playing basketball

I’m playing on a softball team for the next six weeks. I guess that’s a summer league...right:confused:

. I hope he makes the association and does well. But the summer league is just that, along way from the NBA. It does seem like he made a good decision and will make good money playing basketball

Rather he do well in the summer league than stink out the joint though. First step to finding a way onto a roster.

He’s full of BS now apparently. If the decision was “easy” he wouldn’t have waited until literally the last minute. I think he was the very last notable player who announced he was staying in the draft, like an hour before the deadline.

He probably felt it was easy once he went through the entire process, but at the time he declared there was a lot up in the air and a lot depended on how he would perform in his workouts.

He’s full of BS now apparently. If the decision was “easy” he wouldn’t have waited until literally the last minute. I think he was the very last notable player who announced he was staying in the draft, like an hour before the deadline.

Maybe some of the late feedback he got made the decision easy.

Coffey on opening day roster, though out with ankle injury.

Clippers Roster for the 2019-20 NBA Season

Here is a look at the current Clippers roster and depth chart, per Real GM

C- Ivica Zubac, Montrezl Harrell
PF- Patrick Patterson, JaMychal Green, Johnathan Motley, Mfiondu Kabengele
SF- Kawhi Leonard, Moe Harkless, Rodney McGruder, Amir Coffey, Paul George (injured)
SG- Landry Shamet, Jerome Robinson, Terance Mann
PG- Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams, Derrick Walton, Jr.

Coffey on opening day roster, though out with ankle injury.

Clippers Roster for the 2019-20 NBA Season

Here is a look at the current Clippers roster and depth chart, per Real GM

C- Ivica Zubac, Montrezl Harrell
PF- Patrick Patterson, JaMychal Green, Johnathan Motley, Mfiondu Kabengele
SF- Kawhi Leonard, Moe Harkless, Rodney McGruder, Amir Coffey, Paul George (injured)
SG- Landry Shamet, Jerome Robinson, Terance Mann
PG- Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams, Derrick Walton, Jr.

Wow, great for Amir! I would have never guessed he would make a roster this year, but he did it and hats off to him. Nice paychecks coming and it looks like he made his own decision right!

Wow, great for Amir! I would have never guessed he would make a roster this year, but he did it and hats off to him. Nice paychecks coming and it looks like he made his own decision right!

Amir was always going to be on the roster once he earned a 2-way contract.

I'm expecting a lot of G league time or DNP-CD this year.

Top Bottom