Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 55
  1. #31

    Default

    Tonight coffey was high scorer and outplayed clippers 2018 first round pick in Jerome Robinson.


  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Honestly, why would you come back and risk your pro career to injury for anything less than a highly likely sweet sixteen team?

    They had a nice run last year. And this year's team, even with him, wasn't necessarily shaping up to be as good or better.
    Every player without long term capital steps onto the court risking their pro career. Every football player who takes the field is in the same position. You seem to be implying that once a player is in or around mock draft status....they should pack up and leave.

  3. #33

    Default

    Amir had 19 points (7/14) 9 rebounds, 6 assists and the game clinching basket in the final 10 seconds. Also got a post game interview.

  4. #34

    Default


  5. #35

    Default

    He played well. His on ball defense was not good in this game tonight as the Kings consistently drove by him at will at the top of the key. Not sure if Amir was expecting a pick and roll and thus help side but that was really the only negative for him in this game.
    In

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    6,943

    Default

    If it was easy he should've gone all in right away so we could've recruited for his spot. Would have been nice to sell his minutes

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  7. #37

    Default

    I think that is how we got the German kid.

  8. #38

    Default

    Good take on Coffey's performance last night:

    "Amir Coffey shows out – This was a near-spectacular performance from Coffey. He hit the game-sealing shot for the Clippers with just a few seconds left, rounding out an impressive line of 19 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, and just 1 turnover. He created shots for teammates with smart passing on the perimeter and drive and kicks, and only forced his own shot a couple times. His rebounding was a nice boon without the services of Terance Mann, with the rebounding amplified by Coffey’s using his athleticism to push the ball hard in transition. Once out in the open court, Coffey was a menace, powering through contact or using finesse moves to clear space to finish. Amir’s outside shooting remains a weakness (1-5), but there’s clearly an NBA player there due to his size, athleticism, and good scoring instincts. If he can play within himself and develop a respectable outside shot, the Clippers could have a steal."

    https://www.clipsnation.com/2019/7/1...hip-tournament

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gopherguy15 View Post
    Good take on Coffey's performance last night:

    "Amir Coffey shows out – This was a near-spectacular performance from Coffey. He hit the game-sealing shot for the Clippers with just a few seconds left, rounding out an impressive line of 19 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, and just 1 turnover. He created shots for teammates with smart passing on the perimeter and drive and kicks, and only forced his own shot a couple times. His rebounding was a nice boon without the services of Terance Mann, with the rebounding amplified by Coffey’s using his athleticism to push the ball hard in transition. Once out in the open court, Coffey was a menace, powering through contact or using finesse moves to clear space to finish. Amir’s outside shooting remains a weakness (1-5), but there’s clearly an NBA player there due to his size, athleticism, and good scoring instincts. If he can play within himself and develop a respectable outside shot, the Clippers could have a steal."

    https://www.clipsnation.com/2019/7/1...hip-tournament
    As one who thought he should have stayed another year- wow, so far it is appearing like he might have made the right move. I hope he makes the Clippers roster!

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    As one who thought he should have stayed another year- wow, so far it is appearing like he might have made the right move. I hope he makes the Clippers roster!
    I am glad to see him succeed. I don't follow the NBA closely enough to know how summer league translates into regular league success, but there used to be a phrase in college basketball- Summer League All-American- that described guys who dominated in the no defense summer pro-ams and never did much of note when it really counted. I think we had a few here. Steve Esselink comes to mind. Hopefully, Amir, at full health and full motivation, is really the player most of us thought he could be in the pros and not a flash in the pan summer league player.

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    As one who thought he should have stayed another year- wow, so far it is appearing like he might have made the right move. I hope he makes the Clippers roster!
    He already did as he signed a two way contract making him the 16th-17th man for up to 45 days of the season.

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    As one who thought he should have stayed another year- wow, so far it is appearing like he might have made the right move. I hope he makes the Clippers roster!
    I also thought he should have stayed another year just to continue the development of his game. When he stepped up with the confidence in his abilities, he was unstoppable last year. But he also would lapse back into his shell sometimes. Obviously, he has trained very well in the off season and is asserting himself more consistently and showing that he deserves a legitimate shot at the NBA. I think the Clippers did get him for a steal. Another year of playing in the B1G at his current level most likely would have made him a first round pick.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    I also thought he should have stayed another year just to continue the development of his game.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't think I agree. I think he was used by the Clippers summer league team the way he should have been used and that's a big reason why he was successful in summer league. He had no business being a point guard although I guess those duties probably improved his ball handling somewhat. I suspect he will do well in the D League and maybe well enough in his temporary NBA appearances and that will do more for his career prospects than staying another year in college would have.

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    He already did as he signed a two way contract making him the 16th-17th man for up to 45 days of the season.
    Although it's not the general rule, players can be converted to a regular (usually league minimum) contract in the year following the two-way contract. For example, Shake Milton did it this offseason.

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjbfbp View Post
    I don't think I agree. I think he was used by the Clippers summer league team the way he should have been used and that's a big reason why he was successful in summer league. He had no business being a point guard although I guess those duties probably improved his ball handling somewhat. I suspect he will do well in the D League and maybe well enough in his temporary NBA appearances and that will do more for his career prospects than staying another year in college would have.
    So can you explain exactly how he is being used differently by the Clippers than he was as a Gopher. I am confused, because in an interview he said he was being used as a combo 1-3 by the Clippers, similar to what he had done in college. I have also seen him bring the basketball down the court in the summer league.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •