Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default STrib: Amir Coffey: Decision to leave Gophers early for NBA was 'easy'

per Marcus:

When Amir Coffey takes the floor Saturday donning his Los Angeles Clippers No. 42 jersey at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, it’ll finally sink in that his pro basketball journey is beginning.

“It’ll be cool,” said Coffey, who led the Gophers in scoring and assists last season as a junior. “It’ll be a fun experience out there playing and competing with the other guys.”

Even after going undrafted last month, Coffey has a chance to pursue his NBA dreams. In a telephone interview Wednesday, he said he has no regrets about forgoing his senior season. It wasn’t a hard decision, he said, even though he would have been the face of the Gophers program next season.

“I felt like it was an easy one,” Coffey said from Los Angeles. “After all the work I put in, and how much better I got after the season going through all those workouts, I felt confident in what I was doing. I felt confident in my game and I was getting good feedback from a lot of teams. I talked to my [family] and agent and felt it was a good time to stay in.”

http://www.startribune.com/amir-coff...asy/512193232/

Go Gophers!!

More Gophers in the NBA is good for the program. We need to get over being upset when a player leaves early.

Why wait until the last minute to announce he was not coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by theczar View Post
    Why wait until the last minute to announce he was not coming back.
    He doesn't owe us anything. He does owe the program something, I think. I'm guessing Pitino knew early that he wasn't coming back. This kind of thing is the future of college basketball. We better get used to it. Amir will likely make a good living in international basketball somewhere. If that's what he wants, so be it. It's no longer about being drafted high enough for a guaranteed NBA contract. At some point, I hope the pros to come up with a system that is less disruptive to college programs, but that's a long way off.

I do sincerely wish him well, but not too sure there was anything else he could say. Certainly not, "It didn't happen like I thought; maybe I should have come back for my senior year."

I just get the sense that he didn't want to be in college anymore. We can speculate "why" all day - Pitino, homework, etc. but IMHO, Coffey was gone no matter what happened. he was not coming back.

So, as a fan, you can talk about what might have been, or focus on what will happen. at the very least, it will be interesting to see how Pitino puts the pieces together.

Blog Entries

IMHO, in his mind he thinks he's ready and staying in and risking injury might derail his chances. Although people are absolutely right he'd have been the face of Gopher Basketball next season.

He's got a career window in the NBA to make it.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Blog Entries

Pay check before injury. No brainer. He'll improve his skills more this year than he would have with the Gophers. We'll be better a point this year than we were last year.
    Kingdom Warriors

Last night didn't do Amir any favors - the Clippers just added 2 stars who play roughly the same position and role as Amir.

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    Last night didn't do Amir any favors - the Clippers just added 2 stars who play roughly the same position and role as Amir.
    What do you mean by “stars”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul George and Kawhi Leonard are stars in the NBA, that's who they just signed and both play the 2/3 roles on the floor. Amir not looking to get a lot of time this year anyway, but injuries happen and depth is always needed so he may still get some clock even with the reshaped roster.

yeah can't see any way Amir gets NBA time now with those 2 coming on board, and the future gets real bleak for him if they sign long term deals as the Clippers will be in win-now mode rather than seeing what they get from some younger guys. May lead to them moving him at some point, but that's the joy of his basketball playing days now being driven by business

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    I just get the sense that he didn't want to be in college anymore. We can speculate "why" all day - Pitino, homework, etc. but IMHO, Coffey was gone no matter what happened. he was not coming back.
    Honestly, why would you come back and risk your pro career to injury for anything less than a highly likely sweet sixteen team?

They had a nice run last year. And this year's team, even with him, wasn't necessarily shaping up to be as good or better.

Think it’s the opposite. They are going to need roster fillers on cheap deals. They’ve already used a lot of their cap space. Good chance for Amir to sneak onto the back of their bench.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherNuts View Post
    Think it’s the opposite. They are going to need roster fillers on cheap deals. They’ve already used a lot of their cap space. Good chance for Amir to sneak onto the back of their bench.
    Exactly. It's ludicrous to think Amir is competing with Leonard and George for playing time, let alone a roster spot.