STrib: Amir Coffey and Jordan Murphy make NBA summer league debuts this week

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Amir Coffey and Jordan Murphy will be representing the Gophers in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas this week.

The U’s NBA Draft drought extended to 15 years last month, but Coffey and Murphy both have another opportunity to make an impression this summer playing for the Los Angeles Clippers and Minnesota Timberwolves, respectively.

All 30 NBA teams are scheduled to play in Vegas from Friday through July 15 on UNLV’s campus.

Murphy, a 6-foot-7 forward and the Gophers’ all-time leading rebounder, makes his summer league debut with the Timberwolves at 4 p.m. Friday vs. the Cleveland Cavaliers on NBA TV.

Coffey, who led the Gophers in scoring and assists last season as a junior, plays his first game 6:30 p.m. Saturday against the Los Angeles Lakers on ESPNU.

http://www.startribune.com/amir-cof...nba-summer-league-debuts-this-week/512070412/

Go Gophers!!

Thanks. Now I have a reason to watch a little NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering the Wolves roster right now...Murphy may have landed in the right spot to make a team.

Austin Hollins looking like a grown man these days

Who was Austin playing for in those highlights? (somewhere overseas, right?)

Some German team. Even though it's a highlight video, those dunks and blocked shots, etc. were impressive.

Austin Hollins looking like a grown man these days

Wolves should sign him. They are going to suck anyway, and he's as good as anyone the have in the back court now.

Wolves should sign him. They are going to suck anyway, and he's as good as anyone the have in the back court now.
Loved Austin Hollins, hate Andrew Wiggins but Austin is no where near that

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 for 5 shooting from the field and 1 for 4 on free throws. Have to do better than that. Would have been a nice looking stat line. But looks like he'll ba given a shot to prove himself. Considering his size...they want him to be a 3/4. Makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Amir in starting lineup for tonight's Clippers/Lakers summer league game. He just had a steal and a slam dunk to start the game.

Last edited:

Coffey looking good thus far.

17 points in his summer league debut. Shooting % wasn't fantastic but they usually aren't in summer league. Starting and scoring 17 points is pretty darn good for an undrafted rookie. His team won too.

1 for 5 shooting from the field and 1 for 4 on free throws. Have to do better than that. Would have been a nice looking stat line. But looks like he'll ba given a shot to prove himself. Considering his size...they want him to be a 3/4. Makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I saw a bit of his performance in the first half. He looked a bit slow and a little out of sorts but did some good things. He tried to take the ball to the basket with the dribble in traffic and that didn't work at all against these athletes.

17 points in his summer league debut. Shooting % wasn't fantastic but they usually aren't in summer league. Starting and scoring 17 points is pretty darn good for an undrafted rookie. His team won too.

Led the team in minutes and second in points. Shot 3/5 on 3's, had 4 ast and 0 turnovers as well. Very nice stat line. Will be tough for him to crack the roster given all the wing depth the Clips have, but still couldn't ask for much more from Amir.

Led the team in minutes and second in points. Shot 3/5 on 3's, had 4 ast and 0 turnovers as well. Very nice stat line. Will be tough for him to crack the roster given all the wing depth the Clips have, but still couldn't ask for much more from Amir.

He looked like he fit in real well. Made some real nice assists off the drive and played shut down defense. He looked better than Mann who the Clippers drafted. Amir doesn’t have as good of a handle on the ball, but he played much smarted, helped his teammates and didn’t make as many mistakes as Mann. Mann was trying to show off and looked much less of a team player made quite a few big mistakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gonna miss him.

Aggressive Coffey was fun to watch on a not very fun team to watch the last couple years.

Watched a little of the Wolves' game against Atlanta. Murphy did not look out of place. Through three games: 12.7 mpg, 6.3 pts, 38% FG, 4 rpg.

Coffey, through two games: 28.0 mpg, 12.5 pts, 33% FG, 4.0 rpg, 2.5 apg.

JTG

Watched a little of the Wolves' game against Atlanta. Murphy did not look out of place. Through three games: 12.7 mpg, 6.3 pts, 38% FG, 4 rpg

JTG

Couple years ago when the Gophers played in the Pro-Am, Murphy looked really good banging against guys like Mbakwe and Cole Aldrich. He can hold his own in the summer league.

Summer league and G-League are a long ways from the NBA. A lot of guys who can dominate the G-League are still only end of bench guy on most NBA teams.

Last edited:

Top Bottom