STrib: Amir Coffey and Jordan Murphy make NBA summer league debuts this week

Couple years ago when the Gophers played in the Pro-Am, Murphy looked really good banging against guys like Mbakwe and Cole Aldrich. He can hold his own in the summer league.

Summer league and G-League are a long ways from the NBA. A lot of guys who can dominate the G-League are still only end of bench guy on most NBA teams.

True. But being an end-of-the-bench guy in the NBA is still a hell of an accomplishment.

JTG

True. But being an end-of-the-bench guy in the NBA is still a hell of an accomplishment.

JTG
An accomplishment worth at least $898,310 if you can sit on the bench for the whole season.

JTG
. Yes it is. The summer league is kind of like an advanced Howard Pully league where stats and results are overblown. But the end of the bench practice player in the NBA is like winning the lottery

Last edited:

Clippers just officially signed Amir to a two way per their twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amir posted a hand holding a pen on his Instagram as well.

This is a perfect situation given he wasn't drafted. A 2 way contract is one step closer to a full time roster spot. If he plays well in his G league exposure, or even at camp, he could become a 15th man. That said, being a 16th or 17th man (equivalent situation) is not bad. Plus the Clippers need a lot of cheap and young guys to add to the end of the roster after paying their Big 2.

This is a perfect situation given he wasn't drafted. A 2 way contract is one step closer to a full time roster spot. If he plays well in his G league exposure, or even at camp, he could become a 15th man. That said, being a 16th or 17th man (equivalent situation) is not bad. Plus the Clippers need a lot of cheap and young guys to add to the end of the roster after paying their Big 2.
Even if he spends the whole season in the G-League, he'll make a minimum of $77,250 for 5 months of work. G-Leaguers get housed for free as well, so not bad at all for less than a half year of work.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Even if he spends the whole season in the G-League, he'll make a minimum of $77,250 for 5 months of work. G-Leaguers get housed for free as well, so not bad at all for less than a half year of work.

Pretty cool.

It appears he made the correct choice to start his professional career. That being said, if a strong senior season would have put him as a late first round he would be at ~3 million for his first two years. That was possible, but somewhat unlikely.

I would bet he gets minutes in the NBA this season. Sure, he signed with a contending team, which would suggest that he will struggle to find minutes with the Clippers... But by all accounts, Leonard chose the Clippers because they will be on-board with load management. So if Kawhi is playing in only 65 regular season games, they will need to supplement their bench at some point this season. Enter Coffey.

He got a lot of crap on here and social media, but everything worked out for him. He is in a good place. The other 29 NBA teams can also sign them to their 14-man roster if he balls out in G-League or plays well in his NBA opportunities. He couldn't have asked for a better outcome really. Not sure his outcome would have changed if he came back this year

Pretty cool.

It appears he made the correct choice to start his professional career. That being said, if a strong senior season would have put him as a late first round he would be at ~3 million for his first two years. That was possible, but somewhat unlikely.

2 seniors drafted outside of the lottery in the first round this year. NBA is already projecting the best case scenario when someone tries out. Amir didn't project this year as draftable after having an enormous end of the season and by most accounts, a pretty decent tryout period.

IMO, he had 0 chance of being drafted in the first, Carsen Edwards wasn't a 1st rounder after being Big 10 player of the year as a Junior. He would have been an old, often injured, 3 and D without the 3 or D wing player, just like he projects today.

He's gonna go prove it on the court that his hustle, athleticism and work ethic is what gets him into the NBA every day. I think he's got it, I absolutely loved watching him play for the Gophers. Will miss him greatly, but there was no way he was gonna be a first-rounder next year. He's a gamer, and those don't project well until you see it happen.

Now getting paid and receiving better coaching. No brainer.

2 seniors drafted outside of the lottery in the first round this year. NBA is already projecting the best case scenario when someone tries out. Amir didn't project this year as draftable after having an enormous end of the season and by most accounts, a pretty decent tryout period.

IMO, he had 0 chance of being drafted in the first, Carsen Edwards wasn't a 1st rounder after being Big 10 player of the year as a Junior. He would have been an old, often injured, 3 and D without the 3 or D wing player, just like he projects today.

He's gonna go prove it on the court that his hustle, athleticism and work ethic is what gets him into the NBA every day. I think he's got it, I absolutely loved watching him play for the Gophers. Will miss him greatly, but there was no way he was gonna be a first-rounder next year. He's a gamer, and those don't project well until you see it happen.

It was very apparent in his first G league game that he belongs in the big league. He plays very smart, does all the little things right and makes his teammates better.

It was very apparent in his first G league game that he belongs in the big league. He plays very smart, does all the little things right and makes his teammates better.

He has done all the little things, at times. And he has been a gamer, at times. He also had a tendency to disappear for two or three games in a row that carried into this year. I’d also argue that he didn’t play that smart. A lot of wreckless drives to the left into traffic last year that resulted in leak outs for opponents.

I’d rather not be pessimistic, I just think it’s a little early for revisionist history. I donno, I’m pulling for the guy who showed up in Madison though.

I would bet he gets minutes in the NBA this season. Sure, he signed with a contending team, which would suggest that he will struggle to find minutes with the Clippers... But by all accounts, Leonard chose the Clippers because they will be on-board with load management. So if Kawhi is playing in only 65 regular season games, they will need to supplement their bench at some point this season. Enter Coffey.

He got a lot of crap on here and social media, but everything worked out for him. He is in a good place. The other 29 NBA teams can also sign them to their 14-man roster if he balls out in G-League or plays well in his NBA opportunities. He couldn't have asked for a better outcome really. Not sure his outcome would have changed if he came back this year

It's actually one of the best case scenarios for him to get minutes. Teams with multiple max players need to find bargains on the cheap to fill out their roster. Amir will get some minutes this year (most likely).

It has to have been a pretty exciting couple months for him and he did everything right. He led us down the stretch and in the Big 10 tournament and now he has a legit chance to be on an NBA team with Kawhi Leonard and Paul George. Good for him.

Spot on. He's in a great situation. Who knows if his agency had an inkling that Leonard/George would end up there, but if they did they certainly earned every dollar of their commission.

Last year almost every guy in the G-League who was on a two-way deal played some time for their NBA team. So odds are very good that Amir gets some run in a NBA game this coming season. I'll be tuned in when it happens.

He has done all the little things, at times. And he has been a gamer, at times. He also had a tendency to disappear for two or three games in a row that carried into this year. I’d also argue that he didn’t play that smart. A lot of wreckless drives to the left into traffic last year that resulted in leak outs for opponents.

I’d rather not be pessimistic, I just think it’s a little early for revisionist history. I donno, I’m pulling for the guy who showed up in Madison though.

I was talking about his game with the Clippers, not his time with the Gophers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was talking about his game with the Clippers, not his time with the Gophers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Small sample size, but fair enough.

Only saw several highlights but it was fun to see Murph make a couple of his patended moves to the basket and put it in yesterday. Believe he moved into my top 5 favorite Gopher list. Which might actually be in double figures by now.

Top Bottom