247: Bold predictions for the Big Ten in 2019 (#9. Fleck finishes season on hot seat)

Zero chance he’s fired for wins/losses. Like Pitino the promise of talent maturing in the system will always give hope for next year. Maybe by year 5 he’ll be at risk.

My prediction is the hottest seats in the West come December 2019 belong to Paul Chryst and Jeff Brohm. Neither will get fired over it -- Brohm has too big of a contract and Chryst has enough goodwill built up. I do think those teams will disappoint their fans the most in the West.

I think Chryst for sure.

Well, good thing that isn't what the article was about.

Well the article is about hot seat.
So if he isn’t going to get fired this year, that means he isn’t on the hot seat this year.

OMG, really? What is "the hot seat" related to if not getting fired? Keep sinking lower.

Umm- the article is about finishing the year on the hot seat which is NOT the same as getting fired this year. Is this really difficult to comprehend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG, really? What is "the hot seat" related to if not getting fired? Keep sinking lower.

The hot seat is about being in danger of being fired, not actually getting fired.

Well the article is about hot seat.
So if he isn’t going to get fired this year, that means he isn’t on the hot seat this year.

That's not what being on the hot seat means.

That's not what being on the hot seat means.

If you are on the hot seat at the end of the year. To me that means you are at risk of getting fired. We must have a different definition of hot seat.

If you don’t have to be at risk of being fired to be on the hot seat. Then probably every power 5 coach who doesn’t make a bowl game is on the hot seat at the end of every season with a few rare exceptions. Because any power 5 coach missing a bowl would lose their job by following it up with an 0-12 type campaign.

To me, being on the hot seat means you’re at risk of losing your job. Agree to disagree

If you are on the hot seat at the end of the year. To me that means you are at risk of getting fired. We must have a different definition of hot seat.

If you don’t have to be at risk of being fired to be on the hot seat. Then probably every power 5 coach who doesn’t make a bowl game is on the hot seat at the end of every season with a few rare exceptions. Because any power 5 coach missing a bowl would lose their job by following it up with an 0-12 type campaign.

To me, being on the hot seat means you’re at risk of losing your job. Agree to disagree

Yes, that is exactly what being on the hot seat means. Losing your job (being fired) is not the same as being at risk of losing your job. Glad you finally figured it out.

Hey look, dpo is back at being an insufferable @ss!

Someone, get him the Oreos! Also, it might be time to ban him. The contributions he's making here add nothing positive to the discussion.

Hey look, dpo is back at being an insufferable @ss!

Someone, get him the Oreos! Also, it might be time to ban him. The contributions he's making here add nothing positive to the discussion.

The nonsensical Oreos "joke" you keep making wasn't funny or creative the first 2,770 times you made it, but surely the 2,771st time is really going to stick and have them rolling in the aisles.

You're calling for my banning (idiotically) and yet I'm the one discussing the topic at hand while you're doing nothing but attacking me and making lame-ass jokes about me. Yup, you're really adding to the discussion. Great contributions.

Umm- the article is about finishing the year on the hot seat which is NOT the same as getting fired this year. Is this really difficult to comprehend?

If there’s no chance he’s fired this year, the seat isn’t very warm. Yes, you can be on the hot seat and not get fired. But the hot seat is a gauge for how close you are to being fired. So again, zero chance of getting fired means he’s not on the hot seat.

Yes, that is exactly what being on the hot seat means. Losing your job (being fired) is not the same as being at risk of losing your job. Glad you finally figured it out.

He is at 0 risk of losing his job this year. So how can he be on the hot seat at the end of the year if you define it as being at risk of losing his job. Is he going to be at risk of losing his job this year? Because that’s how you just defined it

He is at 0 risk of losing his job this year. So how can he be on the hot seat at the end of the year if you define it as being at risk of losing his job. Is he going to be at risk of losing his job this year? Because that’s how you just defined it

They're not saying he's going to get fired this year. They're saying he's going to end the year on the hot seat, meaning he'd be at risk of losing his job next year. For people who speak English, this isn't complicated.

Correct, as the article states: P.J. FLECK FINISHES THE SEASON ON THE HOT SEAT. The article is not about being on the hot seat now or during the season, rather at the finish of the season. That's part of the distinction dpo has been making.

They're not saying he's going to get fired this year. They're saying he's going to end the year on the hot seat, meaning he'd be at risk of losing his job next year. For people who speak English, this isn't complicated.

Ah. So according to this idiotic argument you started, if he were fired mid way thru the year, the author would be wrong.

Ah. So according to this idiotic argument you started, if he were fired mid way thru the year, the author would be wrong.

Technically

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I don't think he will be on the hot seat at the end of the year.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

By your own definition of hot seat, you aren’t on the hot seat unless you are at risk of being fired.

Now you’re saying that he isn’t at risk of being fired until next year. So at the end of this year, he isn’t at risk of being fired. Making him by your definition not on the hot seat

I don't think this is a black and white deal.

As noted, being "on the hot seat" can mean different things in different situations.

to use a baseball analogy- I would say being on the hot seat is like being in the on-deck circle - you're not at bat yet, but you're close. Likewise, for a FB coach, being on the hot seat does not mean that you are fired, or will be fired - but it means you are closer to being fired.

Let's say coach X goes 7-6 one season, and is generally expected to have a better season. then the coach goes 5-7 and misses a bowl game. he will likely not be fired on the spot, but the AD tells him, "you need to make a bowl game next season to keep your job." That is being on the hot seat.

On the other hand, if Coach X goes from 7-6 to 3-9, and has a major off-field incident, then he might skip the hot seat and be fired on the spot. It all depends on the circumstances, and on the relationship between the coach and AD.

at MN, I think something catastrophic would have to happen for Fleck to ever be on the hot seat or get fired. Like a couple of 2-10 seasons, attendance down to 10,000 a game, and an off-field incident. barring that, Fleck will coach the Gophers as long as he wants to - and/or as long as Coyle is the AD.

As noted, being "on the hot seat" can mean different things in different situations.

to use a baseball analogy- I would say being on the hot seat is like being in the on-deck circle - you're not at bat yet, but you're close. Likewise, for a FB coach, being on the hot seat does not mean that you are fired, or will be fired - but it means you are closer to being fired.

Let's say coach X goes 7-6 one season, and is generally expected to have a better season. then the coach goes 5-7 and misses a bowl game. he will likely not be fired on the spot, but the AD tells him, "you need to make a bowl game next season to keep your job." That is being on the hot seat.

On the other hand, if Coach X goes from 6-7 to 9-4, and has a major off-field incident, then he might skip the hot seat and be fired on the spot. It all depends on the circumstances, and on the relationship between the coach and AD.

at MN, I think something catastrophic would have to happen for Fleck to ever be on the hot seat or get fired. Like a couple of 2-10 seasons, attendance down to 10,000 a game, and an off-field incident. barring that, Fleck will coach the Gophers as long as he wants to - and/or as long as Coyle is the AD.

FIFY

On the other hand, if Coach X goes from 7-6 to 3-9, and has a major off-field incident, then he might skip the hot seat and be fired on the spot. It all depends on the circumstances, and on the relationship between the coach and AD.

So kind of like the attendance at the end of last year.

This really isn’t that hard. The expectations are high for this year. The results in terms of wins and losses have been stellar to date - year one didn’t really count matter per our own head coach. Year two a small step forward with one big win (Wisconsin) two massive “DNP coaches decision” (Nebraska, Illinois).

If we end up .500 or below the pressure on PJ for next season will be immense to produce some thing other than a sound bite.

That doesn’t mean he’ll be fired this year or next. It means if he doesn’t change course keeping his job will be progressively harder.

Some schools have a hair trigger. I suspect the point being poorly made by people who don’t understand the concept of the hot seat is that PJ Fleck has a longer leash than many coaches right now and could stand a few more mediocre years in the hot seat before he’d get fired.

IF we finish .500 +\- 1 game, have another inexplicable drubbing by a team in the bottom half of the conference like last year, he’ll go into the 2020 season on the hot seat.

If similar things transpire in 2020 his seat will be nuclear.

If similar in 2021 he’ll be gone.

That’s a lot of IFs and I’m not saying that scenario is likely at this point, but if it does, don’t be surprised.

Someone pointed out correctly that Fierentz has a history of being “on the hot seat” every few years. There have been a couple in a row, but he’s never been fired. He always finds a way to do what it takes to right the ship and calm the noise.

IF Coyle leaves, that’s when things would really get interesting for Fleck. If he doesn’t get along with the new Pres OR she prefers competence, I think Fleck’s leash gets short more quickly, but that would still likely be at the end of the season 2-3 years from now IF the team is still chugging along at .500

Top Bottom