Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55
  1. #1

    Default 247: Bold predictions for the Big Ten in 2019 (#9. Fleck finishes season on hot seat)

    per 247:

    9. P.J. FLECK FINISHES THE SEASON ON THE HOT SEAT

    P.J. Fleck’s first two seasons at Minnesota have been a mixed bag. There have been some big wins, like beating Wisconsin last year, but there have also been extremely frustrating losses. The Golden Gophers finished fifth in the Big Ten West in 2018, and a similar result may make Minnesota fans somewhat impatient. With other teams in the division on the rise, the Gophers could falter in 2019.

    https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...4/#133298164_5

    Go Gophers!!


  2. #2

    Default

    From the same predictions:

    6. NEBRASKA WINS THE BIG TEN WEST

    With six straight losses to start the 2018 season, the Huskers winning the division in Scott Frost’s second season seemed pretty unrealistic. Now it’s not too hard to see Nebraska in the Big Ten Championship game. Between a strong 4-2 finish to last year and a quarterback like Adrian Martinez at the helm, Nebraska is poised to make a run at a Big Ten West that isn’t filled with perennial powerhouses like the East is.

    Go Gophers!!

  3. #3

    Default

    Those are both garbage predictions but I love it. I’d rather be under the radar. I just do not get the Husker love. They are nowhere close on O or D lines.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,847

    Default

    They have more stars, or offers. Something, anyway. Balloons?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    They have more stars, or offers. Something, anyway. Balloons?
    Talent Ranking.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    From the same predictions:

    6. NEBRASKA WINS THE BIG TEN WEST

    With six straight losses to start the 2018 season, the Huskers winning the division in Scott Frost’s second season seemed pretty unrealistic. Now it’s not too hard to see Nebraska in the Big Ten Championship game. Between a strong 4-2 finish to last year and a quarterback like Adrian Martinez at the helm, Nebraska is poised to make a run at a Big Ten West that isn’t filled with perennial powerhouses like the East is.

    Go Gophers!!
    They have 1 star on their team...so B1G West Champs? Ok.

    Also, this author must not know MN that well, it will take a few seasons of missing a bowl game before the seat gets hot.
    Ski-U-Mah is Native American for "we're in a rebuilding year"

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyganas View Post
    They have 1 star on their team...so B1G West Champs? Ok.

    Also, this author must not know MN that well, it will take a few seasons of missing a bowl game before the seat gets hot.
    Its click bait. Nobody knows whats going to happen with the West this year. I honestly feel like 5 teams could win the West this year if a game or two fall in their favor.

    Nebraska is picked to be the top in a lot of publications mostly because of how the team finished last year and the 2nd year leap that Frost has made in the past with Offenses. Again they are just predictions with people trying to make educated guesses based on what they have seen in the past.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkerzFan View Post
    Its click bait. Nobody knows whats going to happen with the West this year. I honestly feel like 5 teams could win the West this year if a game or two fall in their favor.

    Nebraska is picked to be the top in a lot of publications mostly because of how the team finished last year and the 2nd year leap that Frost has made in the past with Offenses. Again they are just predictions with people trying to make educated guesses based on what they have seen in the past.
    I think Nebraska has as good a claim as anyone in the West.
    I'm not sold on the talent level in Wisconsin.
    If advanced metrics are to be believed, Northwestern should take a step back.
    I cautiously like Minnesota's chances.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    SW Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,081

    Default

    Unless the Gophers only win 3 games or something this year, Fleck won't be on the hot seat. Winning less than 6 though will get the grumbling started and the "negative" articles will start coming questioning if he can get over the hump.

  10. #10

    Default

    I don't think we have enough money to put PJ on the hot seat after this year.... somewhat similar to Lovie Smith at Illinois... we're just not a team who can afford to swap coaches after one or two bad years unless they were at the end of their contract anyway.

  11. #11

    Default

    If the team totally falters this year and doesn't even hang around in the West Fleck's seat will be warm heading into 2020 but it would take a lot for it to be truly hot.

    Off-season filler is all stuff like this is, some projections will have us doing well, others won't but the bottom line is they know next to nothing about how it will all play out so it is pointless to take any of it seriously. It is just writers throwing darts at a board and hoping to get a few right so that they can claim they knew what was going to happen.

    Makes for kind of interesting reading but it is just speculation at this point.

  12. #12

    Default

    Iowa will finish around .500 in the big 10.....they will be all over Ferentz........ a few months after the season they will have forgiven Ferentz, and predict they will win the west the following year.

    Lather, rinse, repeat!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldteam View Post
    Iowa will finish around .500 in the big 10.....they will be all over Ferentz........ a few months after the season they will have forgiven Ferentz, and predict they will win the west the following year.

    Lather, rinse, repeat!
    And every 4th or 5th year they will win the West and I'd take that.

  14. #14

    Default

    My prediction is the hottest seats in the West come December 2019 belong to Paul Chryst and Jeff Brohm. Neither will get fired over it -- Brohm has too big of a contract and Chryst has enough goodwill built up. I do think those teams will disappoint their fans the most in the West.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    I don't think we have enough money to put PJ on the hot seat after this year.... somewhat similar to Lovie Smith at Illinois... we're just not a team who can afford to swap coaches after one or two bad years unless they were at the end of their contract anyway.
    Also I think if Fleck is gone, so is Coyle. So it would have to be so disastrous of a season that you'd fire both and I don't see that happening.

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •