Analysis: Gophers receive a commitment from four-star Kansas WR Daniel Jackson

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from four-star Kansas wide receiver Daniel Jackson. He chose Minnesota over offers from Iowa State, Wisconsin, Arizona State, Iowa, Notre Dame and others. Jackson, the No. 2-rated player in Kansas, visited the University of Minnesota on June 14. He recently spent time at Wisconsin and Iowa State, but decided Minnesota was his best fit. Jackson is the No. 54 ranked wide receiver in the country and holds a 0.9019 composite scoring, according to 24/7 Sports data.

A 5-foot-11, 185-pound wide receiver, Jackson runs a 4.5 40-yard dash, a 4.26-shuttle and posted a 38-inch vertical, according to 24/7 Sports data. When looking at those numbers, you notice the agility and leaping ability are high in overall athletic percentiles. He is an explosive athlete and put up impressive numbers last season. Jackson had 54 receptions for 1,270 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2018.

He is a vertical threat and his quarterback was confident finding him deep. On film, Jackson consistently used a double move and got extensive separation off his release. He is rather sudden in-and-out of breaks, which makes him very difficult to defend. Jackson was behind countless explosive plays of more than 40 yards. When a big play was needed, Jackson’s number was called. He can be used out of the slot or outside and has the play-making ability to create in space. With his superior short-range testing, he has the chance to be a difficult cover after he develops a more nuanced route tree. He’s a very fluid mover and it has allowed him to become a vertical threat at the high school level.

The big takeaway from his tape is how well he can separate because of his initial foot quickness and releases. It's clear Minnesota has added another explosive weapon in the passing game. With wide receiver coach Matt Simon’s ability to develop talent, this school is quickly becoming a destination for young pass catchers. Once Jackson gets in the system, it will be fascinating to watch him develop. He was a player coveted by the Gophers and they pulled him away from several top-tier programs.

Jackson is now the second player in the 2020 cycle from Kansas, joining top-rated running back Ky Thomas. The Gophers’ 2020 class now ranks No. 22 nationally and No. 5 in the Big Ten, according to 24/7 Sports.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7648726/5a1c8353041e4812b8732a8a' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Impressive get by PJ and his staff! Welcome aboard Mr. Jackson!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My takeaway from his highlights is similar....”explosive”....”sudden”....”dynamic”....”fluid”.....”playmaker.”

I mentioned in the other thread that he reminds me a little of Stefon Diggs.

Last edited:

He has room to continue growing, but I think he's the perfect size to be a slot receiver with versatility to kick outside. The agility traits are the key, and with those, there are so many ways you can use him.

Is 5'11" 185 lbs big enough?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Some observations from his Twitter account. He’s good friends with RB commit Ky Thomas (also from KS), his dad is a coach, and calls himself a “WR/DB skills trainer”.... and his mom has a PhD. I’m guessing a lot of thought and discussion went into the decision, and I’ll be surprised if he flips.

Last edited:

Really impressive! A better version of Dredrick Snelson.... Love these Kansans. Ky Thomas looks really good, maybe my favorite offensive player but this guy is 1b. Crazy depth at WR going forward.

The best receiver in the Big ten is smaller.

Rashod Bateman isn't smaller.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Really impressive! A better version of Dredrick Snelson.... Love these Kansans. Ky Thomas looks really good, maybe my favorite offensive player but this guy is 1b. Crazy depth at WR going forward.

I would be more than content if Jackson became the type of player Snelson was at UCF.

Great addition. Exciting!

Ahhhh, Fredrick Seldom. I miss him.

per Megan:

The Gophers added a big commitment Sunday evening.

Daniel Jackson, a wide receiver out of Kansas, is the Gophers highest-ranked recruit in the 2020 class so far. The 5-11, 185-pound player is ranked as a 4-star athlete, according to 247Sports.com. He visited the Gophers earlier this month in the program's big wave of summer official visits.

His addition to the class, the 22nd so far, is a significant get with most of the other members ranked as three-star players. Jackson was expected to pick between the Gophers and Wisconsin.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ing-experts-analyze-the-2020-class/512036972/

Go Gophers!!

He looks like a Gopher already. Catches 96 yard touchdown...hands ball to ref.

I would hope for greater production than what Snelson did though.

Snelson had back to back seasons of 43-46 catches, 688-685 yards and 5-10 total TD's.

I'd say that those would be pretty solid numbers for the #54 WR recruit.

Last edited:

Wow. The kid appears to be a living highlight reel.

Shows a little of everything. Good route running, hands, moves after the catch, speed, and ability to bust trough a tackle if needed,

Best receiver film that I've seen commit to PJ to date.

The reason we only have his Sophomore highlights, is because he tore his ACL last August. The good news is he was able to compete on the track team this Spring. Not playing last season likely kept him under the radar a little.

Snelson had back to back seasons of 43-46 catches, 688-685 yards and 5-10 total TD's.

I'd say that those would be pretty solid numbers for the #54 WR recruit.

Those numbers are okay, but UCF was also dominating weak competition. Bateman has already had more catches in a season and more yards in a season than Snelson had, and he was rated as the #61 wr in his class. If this offense continues to improve I wouldn’t be surprised to see our third we to put up similar catch and yardage numbers.

The current and near future gopher WR corps has good potential to become the best WR corps ever for the Gophers.

Top Bottom