MN Daily: Too many running backs? Not a problem

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

The Gophers football team has a tough decision to make for the top running back spot heading into the 2019 season, but to head coach P.J. Fleck, it's a decision he looks forward to making.

Heading into 2019, Minnesota will have four running backs with previous college experience on its roster. Trying to find playing time for all four could provide challenges for head coach P.J. Fleck and his staff, but it is a position they are glad to be in. The four running backs at the top of the depth chart have a combined total of 6,506 career rushing yards.

“Sometimes you’re saying we’re not deep enough — that’s one position we’re deep,” Fleck said. “You can call it a plethora, you can call it depth. Those are really good words for a head coach.”

The depth will be important for the team, which is all too familiar with having an injured backfield. In the 2018 season, star running back Rodney Smith suffered a torn ACL in the second game of the season and was out for the rest of the year. Shannon Brooks, who was injured to begin the year, only appeared in one game before getting re-injured.

Both players were awarded medical redshirts to extend their college careers for another year. Smith, now a sixth-year senior, ranks seventh on the program's all-time rushing list with 2,962 yards and is within a thousand yards of being in second. Brooks, a fifth-year senior, ranks No. 15 in program history with 1,882 yards.

https://www.mndaily.com/article/2019/06/sp-too-many-running-backs-not-a-problem

Go Gophers!!

I think he’ll just use 3-4 backs in every game, and keep them fresh. All four are good enough to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he’ll just use 3-4 backs in every game, and keep them fresh. All four are good enough to start.

It would be nice to get Bryce Williams his redshirt year if guys stay reasonably healthy. Could still get run in 4 games of course.

It would be nice to get Bryce Williams his redshirt year if guys stay reasonably healthy. Could still get run in 4 games of course.

Good point. I like that idea.

As Grinin Glen would say, a pair and a spare. Or maybe a couple of spares.

Of all the backs, I think Shannon Brooks is my personal favorite. just something about the way he runs, and the ability he's shown to break big plays. But, I also hold my breath every time he gets the ball because of his history with injuries.

If I had to guess on how the carries are divided up - Rodney Smith 35%, Ibrahim 35%, Brooks 15%, Williams 10% and Green wildcatting for 5%.

Of all the backs, I think Shannon Brooks is my personal favorite. just something about the way he runs, and the ability he's shown to break big plays. But, I also hold my breath every time he gets the ball because of his history with injuries.

If I had to guess on how the carries are divided up - Rodney Smith 35%, Ibrahim 35%, Brooks 15%, Williams 10% and Green wildcatting for 5%.

Brooks' over usage coming off of injury vs Indiana still leaves a bad taste. And putting him back in late after he had obviously tweaked something, and which then led to a more serious injury, was negligent by the coaching staff in my opinion. Hopefully they will be more selective (and careful) about how they use him this year. He could be a real weapon.

Last edited:

Brooks' over usage coming off of injury vs Indiana still leaves a bad taste. And putting him back in late after he had obviously tweaked something, and which then led to a more serious injury, was negligent by the coaching staff in my opinion. Hopefully they will be more selective (and careful) about how they use him this year. He could be a real weapon.

Pretty serious charges. I would look into it if I were you, or maybe you shouldn't use the word "negligent" so flippantly.

Over usage? He got 22 carries in a game where Ibrahim was unavailable and Bryce Williams was ineffective with his 7 carries.

Over usage? He got 22 carries in a game where Ibrahim was unavailable and Bryce Williams was ineffective with his 7 carries.
I think the poster is speaking in a relative sense. Twenty-two carries in his first game back from a significant injury could be seen as over used. Not sure how many other options there were that day. Was Edmonds ready/ able to spell Brooks? Running Back is a crazy position. You have depth till you don't. Heard of an instance where a team in the 70's/ early 80's went through six backs. I can't remember who the person said the team was, but assuming it was true, you can't really prepare for something like that.

Brooks isn't expected to be back until October.

We used all 4 backs last year. I'm sure one of the guys gets banged up and misses a few games this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 contribute this season.

With the way RBs get banged up, having a bunch of really good options is a huge luxury that most teams don't have. I think every team plans to need to play multiple guys over the course of the season but few can say they have 3 players that have led the team in rushing available as options.

We used all 4 backs last year. I'm sure one of the guys gets banged up and misses a few games this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 contribute this season.

I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations for Brooks this year. Contributions from him should be looked at as a bonus, not an expectation.

I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations for Brooks this year. Contributions from him should be looked at as a bonus, not an expectation.

The good news is that with the number of options we have available there should be very little pressure for the U to rush him back before he is ready to go. Hopefully Brooks and Smith can have relatively healthy years to finish out their Gopher careers. Both are really talented players when healthy.

I don't ever remember the Gophers having so much talent in the skilled positions. Would love to see Rodney get plenty of time in the slot. This could be a lot of fun!

I don't ever remember the Gophers having so much talent in the skilled positions. Would love to see Rodney get plenty of time in the slot. This could be a lot of fun!

2003 - Barber, Maroney, Tapeh - QB AAK - WR Ellerson, Hosack, Payne - TE Spaeth, Utecht
2004 - Barber, Maroney, Gary Russell. - QB Cupito - WR Ellerson, Wheelright - TE Spaeth

I'll take either year over this year's backs. now, you can argue the WR corps is stronger now, but, still, those teams had talent and veteran QB's. And Barber and Maroney.....

Well that stinks. Rehab is coming along slower than expected? Is there anything public out there?

2003 - Barber, Maroney, Tapeh - QB AAK - WR Ellerson, Hosack, Payne - TE Spaeth, Utecht
2004 - Barber, Maroney, Gary Russell. - QB Cupito - WR Ellerson, Wheelright - TE Spaeth

I'll take either year over this year's backs. now, you can argue the WR corps is stronger now, but, still, those teams had talent and veteran QB's. And Barber and Maroney.....

2004 gopher team might be the most disappointing talent to results ratio in my watching history.

Losing @ Indiana (3-8) was terrible
As was losing by 34 to Michigan State (5-7)

Plus 0-3 vs Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa

If you win those two games you SHOULD win against sub .500 teams and go 1-2 against the 3 tough teams all of a sudden you’re tied for 3rd in the conference (maybe higher) and back to back 9 win regular season. That should’ve been the season we knew it would never come together for Mason.

4-5 guys can be good, or bad. Typically you want some diversity of skill in the group.

2 guys getting majority of carries between the tackles
1 change of pace burner
1 skilled pass catcher
1 developmental guy for mop up duty in Q4 blowout wins keeps key guys healthy.

4 guys with the same size, speed and abilities isn’t always good.

Last edited:

4-5 guys can be good, or bad. Typically you want some diversity of skill in the group.

2 guys getting majority of carries between the tackles. Ibrahim, Shannon (pending recovery) and /or Smith
1 change of pace burner. (Cam Wiley)
1 skilled pass catcher. (Smith)
1 developmental guy for mop up duty in Q4 blowout wins keeps key guys healthy.

4 guys with the same size, speed and abilities isn’t always good.

We know 1 or 2 will go down at least temporarily, Shannon apparently is a question mark. Cam Wiley looks like a full grown man already - will he get a few opportunities? Bryce will be bigger and stronger, Edmonds has yet to see the field AFAIK. Potts is coming off an injury?

Top Bottom