Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Brooks isn't expected to be back until October.

We used all 4 backs last year. I'm sure one of the guys gets banged up and misses a few games this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 contribute this season.
    I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations for Brooks this year. Contributions from him should be looked at as a bonus, not an expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherWeatherGuy View Post
    I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations for Brooks this year. Contributions from him should be looked at as a bonus, not an expectation.
    The good news is that with the number of options we have available there should be very little pressure for the U to rush him back before he is ready to go. Hopefully Brooks and Smith can have relatively healthy years to finish out their Gopher careers. Both are really talented players when healthy.

Blog Entries

I don't ever remember the Gophers having so much talent in the skilled positions. Would love to see Rodney get plenty of time in the slot. This could be a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonTXGopher View Post
    I don't ever remember the Gophers having so much talent in the skilled positions. Would love to see Rodney get plenty of time in the slot. This could be a lot of fun!
    2003 - Barber, Maroney, Tapeh - QB AAK - WR Ellerson, Hosack, Payne - TE Spaeth, Utecht
    2004 - Barber, Maroney, Gary Russell. - QB Cupito - WR Ellerson, Wheelright - TE Spaeth

I'll take either year over this year's backs. now, you can argue the WR corps is stronger now, but, still, those teams had talent and veteran QB's. And Barber and Maroney.....

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Brooks isn't expected to be back until October.

We used all 4 backs last year. I'm sure one of the guys gets banged up and misses a few games this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 contribute this season.
    Well that stinks. Rehab is coming along slower than expected? Is there anything public out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Well that stinks. Rehab is coming along slower than expected? Is there anything public out there?
    Probably had to do with him breaking his roommates glasses & taking his phone and not giving it back.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    2003 - Barber, Maroney, Tapeh - QB AAK - WR Ellerson, Hosack, Payne - TE Spaeth, Utecht
    2004 - Barber, Maroney, Gary Russell. - QB Cupito - WR Ellerson, Wheelright - TE Spaeth

I'll take either year over this year's backs. now, you can argue the WR corps is stronger now, but, still, those teams had talent and veteran QB's. And Barber and Maroney.....
    2004 gopher team might be the most disappointing talent to results ratio in my watching history.

Losing @ Indiana (3-8) was terrible
    As was losing by 34 to Michigan State (5-7)

Plus 0-3 vs Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa

If you win those two games you SHOULD win against sub .500 teams and go 1-2 against the 3 tough teams all of a sudden you’re tied for 3rd in the conference (maybe higher) and back to back 9 win regular season. That should’ve been the season we knew it would never come together for Mason.

4-5 guys can be good, or bad. Typically you want some diversity of skill in the group.

2 guys getting majority of carries between the tackles
    1 change of pace burner
    1 skilled pass catcher
    1 developmental guy for mop up duty in Q4 blowout wins keeps key guys healthy.

4 guys with the same size, speed and abilities isn’t always good.
    Last edited by Herd; 07-08-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    4-5 guys can be good, or bad. Typically you want some diversity of skill in the group.

2 guys getting majority of carries between the tackles. Ibrahim, Shannon (pending recovery) and /or Smith
    1 change of pace burner. (Cam Wiley)
    1 skilled pass catcher. (Smith)
    1 developmental guy for mop up duty in Q4 blowout wins keeps key guys healthy.

4 guys with the same size, speed and abilities isn’t always good.
    We know 1 or 2 will go down at least temporarily, Shannon apparently is a question mark. Cam Wiley looks like a full grown man already - will he get a few opportunities? Bryce will be bigger and stronger, Edmonds has yet to see the field AFAIK. Potts is coming off an injury?