Over-Unders

BetChicago likes the over on Minnesota:

https://www.betchicago.com/minnesota-season-win-total-betting-predictions-gophers-odds

Some notes from BetChicago piece:

Minnesota was one of the most polarizing teams in college football last season, but with 16 returning starters and the most returning production in the Big Ten, the Gophers are in prime position to make a run in the West division despite a (projected) win total of 6.5 in P.J. Fleck's third year.

Inexperience and injuries derailed Minnesota in 2018 and left bettors nearly clueless in every game. Only two of the Gophers' 13 games finished within 10 points of the spread. They won outright as underdogs or at pick 'em in five games, but also turned in a 24-point loss to Illinois as a 9.5-point favorite and lost by 25 to Nebraska as a slim 4.5-point underdog. In all, Minnesota's games averaged a point-spread difference of 20.1 points.

Fleck's teams at Western Michigan showed improvement in each of his four seasons, and he's setting up to do the same in his third year at Minnesota with nine starters returning on offense. Fleck has a three-headed monster at running back with Mohamed Ibrahim, Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks running behind four returning starters on the offensive line. Smith and Brooks have a combined 4,844 rushing yards and return healthy after tearing ACLs last year. The Gophers O-line ranked fifth nationally in stuff rate and 11th in adjusted line yards last season and will help QB Zack Annexstad create a great play-action offense in 2019.

Annexstad started seven games last season before an injury ended his season. His backup, Tanner Morgan, filled in admirably with a 147.6 passer rating as a freshman. Annexstad is expected to begin the season as the starter and help the Gophers improve their 69th ranked offensive explosiveness. His main targets will be WRs Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman, who were named to Phil Steele's preseason first and second All-Big Ten teams, respectively.

Minnesota defensive back Antoine Winfield Jr. also got a first team nod by Steele. The junior is coming off an injury plagued season but was a freshman All-American in 2016. Winfield is the clear star of the Gophers defense under their first full season with defensive coordinator Joe Rossi, who earned the permanent job after forcing Wisconsin into four turnovers in Minnesota's first Paul Bunyan's Axe win in Madison since 1994.

Rossi needs to replace last season's leading tacklers Blake Cashman and Jacob Huff but has DE Carter Coughlin back to anchor a defensive line that helped the Gophers rank 11th nationally last season in stuff rate.

2019 Minnesota football S&P+

Opponent (Proj. Rk) Date Proj. Margin Win Prob.
S. Dakota St. (NR) 29-Aug 26.6 94%
at Fresno St. (51) 7-Sep 1.5 53%
Ga. Southern (81) 14-Sep 13.5 78%
at Purdue (58) 28-Sep 2.8 56%
Illinois (91) 5-Oct 15.8 82%
Nebraska (45) 12-Oct 5.4 62%
at Rutgers (108) 19-Oct 19.3 87%
Maryland (67) 26-Oct 9.9 72%
Penn St. (14) 9-Nov -6.3 36%
at Iowa (25) 16-Nov -5.5 38%
at NW (57) 23-Nov 2.8 56%
Wisconsin (11) 30-Nov -8.1 32%

Betting Minnesota football in 2019

In addition to the most returning production in the Big Ten, the Gophers also have the easiest conference schedule. Minnesota doesn't have to play Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State, and gets Nebraska, Penn State and Wisconsin at home.

The betting market features Minnesota in just one Game of the Year, as a 2.5-point underdog home against over-hyped Nebraska on Oct. 12. The Cornhuskers will be improved next season, but our power ratings, along with S&P+ projections, forecast a bigger jump for the Gophers. S&P+ says Minnesota is 5.4 points better at home, and we're closer to 1.5 points better. The game will be the first conference road game of the season for Nebraska, a team that hasn't won away from Lincoln since Oct. 28, 2017.

S&P+ says Minnesota is a road underdog in just one game this season (Iowa), the Gophers also figure to be underdogs to Penn State and Wisconsin. The potential for a 9-win season is within Minnesota's grasps, according to S&P+, and the data set projects them as the third-best team in the West.

OVER 6.5 wins is a bet to consider for Minnesota this upcoming season, and we don't expect the current win total to be available for long. Taking a flier on the Gophers to win the Big Ten at 50/1 has our attention, but we already took Michigan to get the job done. It's best to Row The Boat with the Gophers' win total in 2019.

The first five teams on your list seem like pretty good bets for the over. (Northwestern at 6.5? WTF? That's like giving away free money.) Nebraska feels like a near-lock for the under. The others seem pretty close.

The BetChicago piece is a solid, concise analysis of Gopher football 2019.

They certainly cut right to the heart of the matter when describing factors for the Nebraska-Minnesota game:

"The betting market features Minnesota in just one Game of the Year, as a 2.5-point underdog home against over-hyped Nebraska on Oct. 12. The Cornhuskers will be improved next season, but our power ratings, along with S&P+ projections, forecast a bigger jump for the Gophers. S&P+ says Minnesota is 5.4 points better at home, and we're closer to 1.5 points better. The game will be the first conference road game of the season for Nebraska, a team that hasn't won away from Lincoln since Oct. 28, 2017."

Last edited:

The first five teams on your list seem like pretty good bets for the over. (Northwestern at 6.5? WTF? That's like giving away free money.) Nebraska feels like a near-lock for the under. The others seem pretty close.

Yep, pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. It will be interesting how the first five move over the next couple months.

What is stuff rate and adjusted line yards? Whatever it is we are some of the best in the nation at it.

What is stuff rate and adjusted line yards? Whatever it is we are some of the best in the nation at it.

I don’t know what it is either, but it put a smile on my face.

O-Line: 5th in nation in stuff rate, 11th in adjusted line yards

D-Line: 11th in nation In stuff rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year without their quarterback they lost to duke and Akron.
They don’t have him this year, they have a guy that was highly touted but has never done anything at the college level. Really contingent on his play.

They also have a really interesting schedule.
@ Stanford to open
UNLV
Michigan State
@Wisconsin
@Nebraska
Ohio State
Iowa

They could open 2-5 or 1-6 if their Quarterback has growing pains.

On FanDuel, the Gophers have already moved up to an Over/Under of 7....and if you want over-7, it's -120 (Under 7 is even money +100).

Money on the over has come in for sure with both the line & wager required....

Caesars released their odds today. https://twitter.com/lindetrain/status/1145807612249690114?s=21

Gophers: +7.5 (-150)
Michigan St: +8 (-130)
Purdue: +7 (-110)
Rutgers: +2.5 (-150)
Wisconsin: +8 (Even)
Illinois: +4 (-110)
Indiana: +6 (-200)
Iowa +7.5 (-155)
Maryland: +3.5 (-140)
Michigan: +10.5 (+160)
Nebraska: +8.5 (-110)
Northwestern: +6 (-125)
Ohio State: +10 (-135)
Penn State: +8.5 (-120)

On FanDuel, the Gophers have already moved up to an Over/Under of 7....and if you want over-7, it's -120 (Under 7 is even money +100).

Money on the over has come in for sure with both the line & wager required....

I said I wasn't going to sports bet again but man, I wish I had gotten in on the FanDuel O/U at 6.5. It's really hard to see this team getting worse than 2018, and against this schedule.

Purdue under 8 is also a savvy bet. They have 3 legit OOC opponents, including TCU and Vandy. Someone in the B1G is going to have a down year, and I think it's going to be the Boilers.

I said I wasn't going to sports bet again but man, I wish I had gotten in on the FanDuel O/U at 6.5. It's really hard to see this team getting worse than 2018, and against this schedule.

Purdue under 8 is also a savvy bet. They have 3 legit OOC opponents, including TCU and Vandy. Someone in the B1G is going to have a down year, and I think it's going to be the Boilers.
Agree
I liked Northwestern as the under 6.5 but I don’t think I like them under 6.

I think Michigan under 10.5 is a pretty good bet. That’s only losing 2 games...they’ve got army who is unique and returns most of a good team. @ Wisconsin, @Penn State
Notre Dame, Iowa, Michigan State, and Ohio State all at home. They only need to lose two of those to be at 10

Agree
I liked Northwestern as the under 6.5 but I don’t think I like them under 6.

I think Michigan under 10.5 is a pretty good bet. That’s only losing 2 games...they’ve got army who is unique and returns most of a good team. @ Wisconsin, @Penn State
Notre Dame, Iowa, Michigan State, and Ohio State all at home. They only need to lose two of those to be at 10

Wow, Northwestern is at 6? And Purdue was at 8 for awhile? Bookies drinking that recruiting ranks Koolaid I guess?

10 of the last 12 years, Northwestern has won at least 6 games. 3 of the last 4 they have won at least 6 conference games alone.
A bet on Purdue winning 9 games is a bet on something that hasn't happened in 15 years, and only 3 times in the past 40.

Nebraska at 8.5.

The only B1G teams projected to have more wins are Ohio State and Michigan.

If the Huskers actually improve from 4-8 in 2018 to the top 3 or top 4 of the B1G in 2019, that will be quite an accomplishment.

Top Bottom