STrib: Seven Teams Move to Leave WCHA

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/7-school...tate-begin-process-of-leaving-wcha/511976862/
Seven members of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association — including Bemidji State and Minnesota State Mankato — initiated the process to leave the league and form a new men's conference that would begin play in the 2021-22 season.

In an announcement released Friday through athletics consultant Morris Kurtz, a former St. Cloud State athletic director, the seven schools — which also include Bowling Green, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan — independently submitted formal letters of notice to the WCHA office initiating the withdrawal process. The seven teams will play in the WCHA in the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons.

Alaska is doomed in a sense as to their hockey program. I'm hearing that Arizona State also is having trouble getting teams to play them.

Where will St. Thomas hockey land?

I think it will be with this conference, and it will be fast tracked due the "involuntary removal". I am less convinced that UST will attempt to speed up a full DI jump.

Alaska is doomed in a sense as to their hockey program. I'm hearing that Arizona State also is having trouble getting teams to play them.

Arizona State will be fine... Alaska teams not so much.

Top Bottom