Eric Kaler: Goodbye or Good Riddance?

CWCWCW

Reaction score
Today is Eric's last day as of U of M President. I know his position covers a wide array of responsibilities, but I'm curious to know what Holers opinions are as it relates to football.
I think Kaler was a fan of the team. I think he was a decent ambassador. I thought he was a terrible communicator during the fiasco at the end of Claey's coaching tenure.
So, with all of that, I'm going to go with goodbye and good luck. No parting gifts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think he did a good job, and was very sports friendly. That's good enough for a University President goes as far as sports perspective goes. They have a lot of things to do that aren't sports.

His job isn't to reach into the Athletic Department and handle the TC situation. That's the Heating Coyle's job.

So long Eric. We're going to miss you. You are leaving the U in much better shape than when you first became president.

Probably the best President in the last 60 years. Sports friendly and loved football. Very nice man. He and his wife always took time to talk to anyone on road trips.

I think he's a good president, wish him well

I agree with all of these posts, he improved the sports facilities immensely and finally got a good AD, the first in 50 years. The importance of that can't be overstated. We finally have an AD who thinks mediocrity is not an appropriate goal. I have even forgiven him for the prior AD screw up, which hurt a lot. Coyle has a good chance to be the best AD here ever, I hope we can keep him.

Kaler did a good job regarding the athletic program. All school president's suffer bumps in the road but his influence was positive for the most part.

He hired Mega-tongue and the Snake. Two fails.

Probably the best President in the last 60 years. Sports friendly and loved football. Very nice man. He and his wife always took time to talk to anyone on road trips.

Yudof was a way better President who had a much bigger impact on the school for many years to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will give Kaler and the board of regents credit for being willing to pay for a top level coach. I think that was a big step forward.

Not a fan of Coyle as a hire for the way he botched the TC firing and obviously Teague was a bad hire. Hard for me to say how much Kaler hurt football scandal situation (I don't think he helped it though). Coyle has also done little to nothing to improve the attendance issues. His coaching hires have all been no-brainers so I can't really give him credit there.

So I guess I'd have to say overall Kaler was a net plus for athletics, but could have been better.

As he relates to football? Overall, a plus. Supported the team in a much more visible way than some other presidents. Got Coyle who got PJ, which wasn't a no-brainer at the time. I guess he could have handled the scandal better, but that was a tough spot. It's not like GH is the only constituency he had to answer to. The U learned some things and the lawsuit was thrown out so they did things basically right as far as policies. I think Mega-Tongue and attendance problems are bigger minuses than the way the scandal went down.

Athletic complex is up and running and is a big plus. We finally beat those f**king Badgers and I think anticipation for the coming season is the highest it's been for a long time. Happy where we are, so happy with him as president.

Yudof was a way better President who had a much bigger impact on the school for many years to come

As far as Athletics, Yudof was as unfriendly and incompetent as any. Everyone from that era is obviously gone but some of the stories are unreal. As far as the rest of the U, I have no clue what he did.

As far as Athletics, Yudof was as unfriendly and incompetent as any. Everyone from that era is obviously gone but some of the stories are unreal. As far as the rest of the U, I have no clue what he did.

He's got a residence hall named after him. Seems like a consolation prize.

Kaler did a good job regarding the athletic program. All school president's suffer bumps in the road but his influence was positive for the most part.

Agree 1000%. While I was at the CWS, I noticed in the Omaha newspaper that the ddirector of football operations was on the selection committee to choose their new President. Did we have coaches/AD people on our selection committee? Didn’t think so.

Nope.

Yup.

He hired Mega-tongue and the Snake. Two fails.

I’m sure he did a lot of good for the U, but those fails are undeniable. I’ll always remember him for his handling of the scandal.

Mostly good but he did hire The Snake which is looking better as each year goes by...

Thank you President Kaler! Athletes Village, Mark Coyle, and PJ Fleck! How about Lindsey Whalen, a college softball World Series and getting rid of Lucia?! Row the Boat!!!

Mostly good but he did hire The Snake which is looking better as each year goes by...

Yep, with each lie and misleading statement he looks better and better. #low/no standards

Did he succeed in reducing overhead costs and the administrator/student ratio which had been (and may still be) among the worst in the nation?

Did he succeed in lobbying the legislature for increased state support/reduced tuition and fees?

Did he look out for the interests of all students?

Did he support the academics down to the lowliest rungs with fair salaries and benefits?

Did he make good decisions in hiring the committees that hired the guys that hired the guys and so on and so forth?

I only know the answer to one of those and it wasn’t good. Some of you that are more in the know probably have opinions or figures on the others.

Onward and upward.

He's got a residence hall named after him. Seems like a consolation prize.

Every former U president (including Bruininks) has a building named after him. It's a near-certainty that Kaler will as well within the next 5-10 years.

Agree 1000%. While I was at the CWS, I noticed in the Omaha newspaper that the ddirector of football operations was on the selection committee to choose their new President. Did we have coaches/AD people on our selection committee? Didn’t think so.

What the hell does that have to do with the topic of this thread? My goodness you are a terrible, insufferable poster.

Every former U president (including Bruininks) has a building named after him. It's a near-certainty that Kaler will as well within the next 5-10 years.
The Kaler Outhouse has a nice ring to it. [emoji90]

The Kaler Outhouse has a nice ring to it. [emoji90]

A Kaler/Kohler tie in for el baño? Seriously, top administrators have tough jobs which is why they’re paid correspondingly handsomely. It’s also why it’s fair to hold high earners to a very high standard and nitpick their occasional failings particularly when it’s public.

A Kaler/Kohler tie in for el baño? Seriously, top administrators have tough jobs which is why they’re paid correspondingly handsomely. It’s also why it’s fair to hold high earners to a very high standard and nitpick their occasional failings particularly when it’s public.

Likely just not the right forum for an honest assessment of Kaler. On here most see Kaler -> Coyle -> PJ, and if you love PJ you gotta love the other two. Not all, but most.

Thank you President Kaler! Athletes Village, Mark Coyle, and PJ Fleck! How about Lindsey Whalen, a college softball World Series and getting rid of Lucia?! Row the Boat!!!

Almost none of that had anything to do with Kaler. Quite frankly Norwood did most of the lifting on the village, hate on him all you want but the truth is the truth. As for Kaler, athletics are literally less than one percent of his job, if anything it's rarely good if he has to get involved. 2016 was a good example of that

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Did he succeed in reducing overhead costs and the administrator/student ratio which had been (and may still be) among the worst in the nation?

Did he succeed in lobbying the legislature for increased state support/reduced tuition and fees?

Did he look out for the interests of all students?

Did he support the academics down to the lowliest rungs with fair salaries and benefits?

Did he make good decisions in hiring the committees that hired the guys that hired the guys and so on and so forth?

I only know the answer to one of those and it wasn’t good. Some of you that are more in the know probably have opinions or figures on the others.

Onward and upward.

Most of those answers are No. He also helped to cover-up the Markingson case. He was flat out despicable in the football scandal.

He was a very bad president.

Almost none of that had anything to do with Kaler. Quite frankly Norwood did most of the lifting on the village, hate on him all you want but the truth is the truth. As for Kaler, athletics are literally less than one percent of his job, if anything it's rarely good if he has to get involved. 2016 was a good example of that

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I never quite got what exactly Mega Tongue ... did.

He was brought in as a guy who was supposed to be a big fundraiser. That's fine but I didn't think they raised a lot more funds with Tongue than anyone else...

Top Bottom