Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Eric Kaler: Goodbye or Good Riddance?

Today is Eric's last day as of U of M President. I know his position covers a wide array of responsibilities, but I'm curious to know what Holers opinions are as it relates to football.
    I think Kaler was a fan of the team. I think he was a decent ambassador. I thought he was a terrible communicator during the fiasco at the end of Claey's coaching tenure.
    So, with all of that, I'm going to go with goodbye and good luck. No parting gifts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think he did a good job, and was very sports friendly. That's good enough for a University President goes as far as sports perspective goes. They have a lot of things to do that aren't sports.

His job isn't to reach into the Athletic Department and handle the TC situation. That's the Heating Coyle's job.

So long Eric. We're going to miss you. You are leaving the U in much better shape than when you first became president.

Probably the best President in the last 60 years. Sports friendly and loved football. Very nice man. He and his wife always took time to talk to anyone on road trips.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

I think he's a good president, wish him well

I agree with all of these posts, he improved the sports facilities immensely and finally got a good AD, the first in 50 years. The importance of that can't be overstated. We finally have an AD who thinks mediocrity is not an appropriate goal. I have even forgiven him for the prior AD screw up, which hurt a lot. Coyle has a good chance to be the best AD here ever, I hope we can keep him.

Kaler did a good job regarding the athletic program. All school president's suffer bumps in the road but his influence was positive for the most part.

He hired Mega-tongue and the Snake. Two fails.

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    Probably the best President in the last 60 years. Sports friendly and loved football. Very nice man. He and his wife always took time to talk to anyone on road trips.
    Yudof was a way better President who had a much bigger impact on the school for many years to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FiveStarFan is my biggest fan

I will give Kaler and the board of regents credit for being willing to pay for a top level coach. I think that was a big step forward.

Not a fan of Coyle as a hire for the way he botched the TC firing and obviously Teague was a bad hire. Hard for me to say how much Kaler hurt football scandal situation (I don't think he helped it though). Coyle has also done little to nothing to improve the attendance issues. His coaching hires have all been no-brainers so I can't really give him credit there.

So I guess I'd have to say overall Kaler was a net plus for athletics, but could have been better.

As he relates to football? Overall, a plus. Supported the team in a much more visible way than some other presidents. Got Coyle who got PJ, which wasn't a no-brainer at the time. I guess he could have handled the scandal better, but that was a tough spot. It's not like GH is the only constituency he had to answer to. The U learned some things and the lawsuit was thrown out so they did things basically right as far as policies. I think Mega-Tongue and attendance problems are bigger minuses than the way the scandal went down.

Athletic complex is up and running and is a big plus. We finally beat those f**king Badgers and I think anticipation for the coming season is the highest it's been for a long time. Happy where we are, so happy with him as president.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherGod View Post
    Yudof was a way better President who had a much bigger impact on the school for many years to come

As far as Athletics, Yudof was as unfriendly and incompetent as any. Everyone from that era is obviously gone but some of the stories are unreal. As far as the rest of the U, I have no clue what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by gopherjay View Post
    As far as Athletics, Yudof was as unfriendly and incompetent as any. Everyone from that era is obviously gone but some of the stories are unreal. As far as the rest of the U, I have no clue what he did.
    He's got a residence hall named after him. Seems like a consolation prize.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoRedux View Post
    Kaler did a good job regarding the athletic program. All school president's suffer bumps in the road but his influence was positive for the most part.
    Agree 1000%. While I was at the CWS, I noticed in the Omaha newspaper that the ddirector of football operations was on the selection committee to choose their new President. Did we have coaches/AD people on our selection committee? Didnít think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruze View Post
    So long Eric. We're going to miss you. You are leaving the U in much better shape than when you first became president.
    Absolutely...