Gophers Selling The Twin Cities - ?️ + ?

Hmmm. An average of 50 days below zero and 143 days below 32 degrees is exaggerated. That’s almost 2 months and 5 months. That’s just in Minneapolis. Facts suck.

Like I said, trying to ignore the weather factor is ignorant and provincial.

I say be honest to recruits, don’t cover it with pablum.
Average days below zero is 24. 53 is the 5th highest on record.

Facts suck.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hmmm. An average of 50 days below zero and 143 days below 32 degrees is exaggerated. That’s almost 2 months and 5 months. That’s just in Minneapolis. Facts suck.

I think we are going to need a citation on this. These numbers don't jive. And I am not saying that because you have a history playing fast and loose with the truth.

I think you should learn to read. Nowhere did I mention number of days below 32. I said a few weeks with potential of below zero temperatures. 24 days falls in line with a few weeks.

Hot areas like AZ are the polar opposite of MN (stating the obvious). The difference is the summers suck, and the winters are nice but the days are short. It doesn’t matter if you’re a retiree...

In my experience/observation the leisure/sedentary class tend to love hot areas where they can sit by the pool/golf in the AM and more active types/outdoorsmen/athletes prefer moderate (think coastal) or areas with 4 seasons. Obviously that’s painting with a broad brush and there are scads of exceptions but in general this seems like a stereotype I can live with.

I’ve said it before but not sure why anyone would prefer months of brutal heat, particularly humid heat over the brutal cold of winter. Maybe just me?

Not just you. The summer heat and humidity in so many places south and also east coast is stifling. When you study it more closely, there are very few of those super cold days (below zero during the day) here each year. The rest are very tolerable with proper clothing. This, over the course of the whole year, the south and east has FAR more miserable outdoor days than do we.

Now, if you are a person who simply hates snow and having to wear coats and hats, etc., I get that. It helps a ton to learn to enjoy some winter sports. That makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The amount of things to do within a bike ride, scooter ride or train ride from campus is really amazing. The quality of live music at house parties and in bars close to campus, different foods, lakes, culture in general is tough to beat. I know I was never bored as an undergrad at the U and I probably had too many fun things available.

Hot areas like AZ are the polar opposite of MN (stating the obvious). The difference is the summers suck, and the winters are nice but the days are short. It doesn’t matter if you’re a retiree...

In my experience/observation the leisure/sedentary class tend to love hot areas where they can sit by the pool/golf in the AM and more active types/outdoorsmen/athletes prefer moderate (think coastal) or areas with 4 seasons. Obviously that’s painting with a broad brush and there are scads of exceptions but in general this seems like a stereotype I can live with.

Pretty much! That also describes Southern Canada as well. Especially the Rockies.

All of the Big Ten cities are nice places to spend time in, most times of the year, with rainy falls and very cold starts the year being the issues. Minnesota has better fall weather than many Big Ten campuses. If the spring is warm in Minnesota , it is near the top in weather for the Big Ten. If the spring is terrible like this year, then Minnesota is terrible.

The Minnesota weather is a little worse in the dead of winter than a few and and lot better than others as other times of the year. Other than IU or maybe Maryland,I am not sure anyone else has much of an advantage. I'd take a Minnesota winter over a KC, or Indy winter any day of the week, but I like cold and snow over months of rain and cold sleet.

Last edited:

I think you should learn to read. Nowhere did I mention number of days below 32. I said a few weeks with potential of below zero temperatures. 24 days falls in line with a few weeks.

Hush.

ah yes, the insecure Minnesota weather apologists are all chiming in! Minnesota has plenty of redeemable qualities to make up for the Month of shut-in cold. A gym membership, a fireplace, and alcohol make that time go by without an issue.

Going from a small town to cities with metro areas of ~75k - ~300k like Lincoln, Iowa City, and Madison is very different than going from a small town to a metro area of over 3 million.

Also, Lincoln and Madison etc are decent sized cities in their own right. Far busier than Champaign, West Lafayette, State College, etc

I just don't buy the weather argument that has been sprinkled here and there. East Lansing's weather is just as bad and the city is a dump. Madison, Ann Arbor, Penn State, Chicago, Champagne, etc's weather is not all that great. Lincoln is a shade better but not really, it's snows around 30 inches a year there. Maryland is warmer. Rutgers is in a dump of a city with ok weather, still not great. Point is weather is not really a factor in most big 10 schools when comparing one over another.

I just don't buy the weather argument that has been sprinkled here and there. East Lansing's weather is just as bad and the city is a dump. Madison, Ann Arbor, Penn State, Chicago, Champagne, etc's weather is not all that great. Lincoln is a shade better but not really, it's snows around 30 inches a year there. Maryland is warmer. Rutgers is in a dump of a city with ok weather, still not great. Point is weather is not really a factor in most big 10 schools when comparing one over another.

There is a big difference between getting 30 inches of snow over the course of the year that doesn’t stick all winter so mostly you have brown grass and not seeing grass from mid December until mid march

There is a big difference between getting 30 inches of snow over the course of the year that doesn’t stick all winter so mostly you have brown grass and not seeing grass from mid December until mid march

You clearly have never been to Lincoln in the winter. My parents grew up there.

I was in Lincoln on presidents day this year and it snowed all day up to 10 inches. I talked to some guys who live there and it snow a bunch and stuck most winter.

You clearly have never been to Lincoln in the winter. My parents grew up there.

I was in Lincoln on presidents day this year and it snowed all day up to 10 inches. I talked to some guys who live there and it snow a bunch and stuck most winter.

Lincoln just had their 2nd snowiest winter ever. https://lincolnweather.unl.edu/data/monthly-snowfall-seasonal.asp https://lincolnweather.unl.edu/data/snowfall-statistics.asp

They only average 26" per year, ~20" less than MSP, and their average high temperature never drops below 35. It's quite a bit different than MSP and they definitely see a lot more brown during the winter.

Top Bottom