Gophers Selling The Twin Cities - ?️ + ?

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
I think one thing people often wonder is why the U's location isn't a bigger selling point. The Twin Cities are great and it is somewhat unique to have a school like the University of Minnesota right in the middle of it all / so accessible to students.

It seems like someone has decided to sell that aspect a bit, maybe we will see more:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I’ve said it before but not sure why anyone would prefer months of brutal heat, particularly humid heat over the brutal cold of winter. Maybe just me?

I’ve said it before but not sure why anyone would prefer months of brutal heat, particularly humid heat over the brutal cold of winter. Maybe just me?

I couldn't agree more. Growing up in Duluth, I always swore I would move somewhere significantly warmer. I did move to Dallas-Fort Worth for four years. I loved the people and just about everything about the place. But the 51 straight days where the high temp reached 100 degrees was more than enough to make me homesick. While I still don't care for days where it's -20, I'll take a couple weeks of that any time over the crazy heat. And I have a new appreciation for having four seasons and winter sports.

That being said, I love the video. Being in the middle of the city is going to appeal to a lot more people at that age than not.

Couldn't agree more on the weather as well. I have friends that say they can't wait to move south when they retire.....YUCK! I'd much rather have a very cold day as compared to a very hot day. I have way more energy in the winter than I do on hot muggy days in the summer - they make me sluggish. I'm 60 years old (maybe a bit overweight), and I just love the change of seasons. I also like swimming in our lake at the cabin near Brainerd when the water is colder than most of my family will swim in. Call me a polar bear! (but not a knife wielding one)

for a lot of people the draw of college is being in a small college town.

Heat is better than cold. Hard to play football in the brutal cold.

The four seasons is what is keeping me here.
She

My wife and I moved to SoCal in 1996 and I have not missed on winter. I will take a hot day over a cold day, anytime. To me, being hot is a heck of a lot better than being freezing cold.

I couldn't agree more. Growing up in Duluth, I always swore I would move somewhere significantly warmer. I did move to Dallas-Fort Worth for four years. I loved the people and just about everything about the place. But the 51 straight days where the high temp reached 100 degrees was more than enough to make me homesick. While I still don't care for days where it's -20, I'll take a couple weeks of that any time over the crazy heat. And I have a new appreciation for having four seasons and winter sports.

That being said, I love the video. Being in the middle of the city is going to appeal to a lot more people at that age than not.

Couldn't agree more on the weather as well. I have friends that say they can't wait to move south when they retire.....YUCK! I'd much rather have a very cold day as compared to a very hot day. I have way more energy in the winter than I do on hot muggy days in the summer - they make me sluggish. I'm 60 years old (maybe a bit overweight), and I just love the change of seasons. I also like swimming in our lake at the cabin near Brainerd when the water is colder than most of my family will swim in. Call me a polar bear! (but not a knife wielding one)

I came to AZ 6 years ago now, so I think I'm acclimatized. I simply do not miss 9 months of winter, which is what Minnesota really has. I used to close my pool after Labor Day and reopen the first week of May. It had a heater, or those dates would have been pushed. Also forgotten is the brutal humidity one month of the other three.

That leaves 8-10 weeks of really nice weather.

Here, it has still not gotten really hot. It has been 50s to 70s at night for 4 months and even when it has stretched to 100 during the day, maybe 3-4 days of any humidity. July and August will be hot, but it's like January and February in Minnesota--you stay inside. Come September, it will be like February to June. December and January its 40s at night and 50-70 during the day.

I have a second home in north central AZ, at 5800 ft. Snows some in the winter, but only gets below freezing a couple of nights a week. The weather is fantastic (July in northern MN without humidity or mosquitoes) from March to December.

The hot in AZ is pretty damn hot. However, if you are not in direct sun, its not even as brutal as a Minnesota summer 80 degrees with 70% humidity. You don't get stuck in it, you don't have to shovel it, and there's no weather related traffic jams.

Would not trade the weather here for Minnesota's, and I was born and bred.

The Gophers are still my team, and I wish them all the best. To discount the weather is flat out provincial ignorance.

I think the original question was about using the Twin cities as a selling point for the U of MN.

two sides to the coin. Yes, some people want to be in a major urban area, with the nightlife, business opportunities, etc. for those people, playing up the U of MN's place in a major metropolitan area could be effective.

But, there are other people who don't want to deal with the traffic, cost of living, and other hassles of urban life. Shoot, I don't really like to drive in the Twin cities, and I used to live there. so it depends on the audience you're trying to reach.

weather is weather. you could find reasons to like or dislike almost any location because of weather. I am not an outdoorsman, so as long as I can get from building A to building B, I don't care that much about the weather. there are only a few days during the year when the weather is really so bad that you can't get around.

Poor St. Paul. After the tweet brags about "An elite University in the middle of two thriving cities!", the video shows a millisecond of both the Landmark Center and the Capitol Rotunda. Maybe they meant Bloomington and the MoA as the other thriving city.

Heat is better than cold. Hard to play football in the brutal cold.

Slight heat > slight cold
Extreme heat > extreme cold

Slight heat > slight cold > extreme heat > extreme cold

I came to AZ 6 years ago now, so I think I'm acclimatized. I simply do not miss 9 months of winter, which is what Minnesota really has. I used to close my pool after Labor Day and reopen the first week of May. It had a heater, or those dates would have been pushed. Also forgotten is the brutal humidity one month of the other three.

That leaves 8-10 weeks of really nice weather.

Here, it has still not gotten really hot. It has been 50s to 70s at night for 4 months and even when it has stretched to 100 during the day, maybe 3-4 days of any humidity. July and August will be hot, but it's like January and February in Minnesota--you stay inside. Come September, it will be like February to June. December and January its 40s at night and 50-70 during the day.

I have a second home in north central AZ, at 5800 ft. Snows some in the winter, but only gets below freezing a couple of nights a week. The weather is fantastic (July in northern MN without humidity or mosquitoes) from March to December.

The hot in AZ is pretty damn hot. However, if you are not in direct sun, its not even as brutal as a Minnesota summer 80 degrees with 70% humidity. You don't get stuck in it, you don't have to shovel it, and there's no weather related traffic jams.

Would not trade the weather here for Minnesota's, and I was born and bred.

The Gophers are still my team, and I wish them all the best. To discount the weather is flat out provincial ignorance.

My wife grew up in that region (Phoenix/Tucson) and has no desire to go back to that climate.

We may end up moving after we retire but it won't just be to escape the cold. It would be more just for the fun of trying out another city. Which for some of our recruits, especially from down south, living up here for 4 years in a big city with lots to do and different weather might be kind of fun and interesting.

Personally I'd take San Diego weather over anywhere else on earth.

Edit: The cold weather really doesn't bother me, but the hassles that snow create do bother me. So if I do move south it's more so to get away from snow, not cold.

Last edited:

My wife grew up in that region (Phoenix/Tucson) and has no desire to go back to that climate.

We may end up moving after we retire but it won't just be to escape the cold. It would be more just for the fun of trying out another city. Which for some of our recruits, especially from down south, living up here for 4 years in a big city with lots to do and different weather might be kind of fun and interesting.

Personally I'd take San Diego weather over anywhere else on earth.

San Diego... close to the coast.

My little time out there and it felt like if you went inland just a bit too far you ended up on Mercury while closer to the ocean it was fine.

But otherwise yeah, you know it is stable when the weather forecast is like 1 minute long and the local TV folks cut the weather forecast it off mid sentence with a commercial because ... all the same.

No sense in getting worked up about it. People that move to warmer climates tend to be bothered by cooler weather more than those that live in MN. Surprise surprise. There is even a guy that thinks it is winter in MN for 9 months a year, despite spending time here. Everyone is different. I can't imagine missing out on October "sweatshirt season" with burning leaves, crisp evenings etc. It has grown into one of my favorite parts of living in MN and I will NEVER give it up. But I am not silly enough to think everyone is going to be like me. My parents-in-law literally had a divorce after being married for 25+ years in no small part because he wanted to retire to a warmer climate and she insisted on living here. Today, he lives with his 2nd wife in Arizona. She lives with her husband in a log home on a beautiful lake in northern MN. People are different. It will always be the case.

All of this of course has very little to do with coaxing an 18 year old to attend college and play football here for 4 years. Nice video.

My sister lives in Phoenix. She brags about the weather in the winter but I don't hear a lot from her about the weather during the summer. I prefer the winters in the upper Midwest over the summers they have down there. But I like activities like ice fishing.

My sister lives in Phoenix. She brags about the weather in the winter but I don't hear a lot from her about the weather during the summer. I prefer the winters in the upper Midwest over the summers they have down there. But I like activities like ice fishing.

I work with some folks in Phoenix... when I start going outside for activity, it's the time they start staying inside.

It's like they're in the southern hemisphere or something.

Phoenix is a ****hole under the best of circumstances but I suppose there are some gated enclaves around. Sedona and Flagstaff are nicer areas.

AZ gets monsoonal moisture, rain, and wind in the summer, roiling up from Baja California and turns into a humid, dusty, muddy mess. The haboobs are coming.

Snowbirds are smart to live in MN in the summer, AZ in the winter.

The Twin Cities metro area is the 16th largest in the country. Seems to be doing pretty well.

Some like it hot and some sweat when the heat is on. Some feel the heat and decide that they can't go on. Some like it hot, but you can't tell how hot til you try.

Phoenix is a ****hole under the best of circumstances but I suppose there are some gated enclaves around. Sedona and Flagstaff are nicer areas.

AZ gets monsoonal moisture, rain, and wind in the summer, roiling up from Baja California and turns into a humid, dusty, muddy mess. The haboobs are coming.

Snowbirds are smart to live in MN in the summer, AZ in the winter.

i don't know anything about phoenix, but the monsoon season along the front range is amazing. upper 80s to low nineties of brilliant sunshine before an afternoon thunderstorm cools the evening down for open windows of cool 55-60 nights.

there is a happy medium between the arctic north and the tropic south.

i love minneapolis and minnesota, but i would never live there again. it gets plenty hot and humid in the summer in minnesota and the winters trying to kill every living thing got old after about five years.

but, sorry, colorado is full.

Minnesota is not the only place where winter is cold. Nowhere in the Big Ten is very warm in winter, and that includes College Park, Maryland, which is just across the river from where I live. And they don't do a very good job of snow removal in our area.

Some like it hot and some sweat when the heat is on. Some feel the heat and decide that they can't go on. Some like it hot, but you can't tell how hot til you try.

Asia vs. The Power Station. Battle of the 80s Super Groups.

June this year is the 30th anniversary of the Billds moving from Atlanta to the Twin Cities. Mrs. Billd was raised in Iowa and knew exactly what she was returning to...me on the other hand refused to have AC on our vehicle because we were moving to Minnesota and wouldn't need it. WRONG.

Anywho, obviously the recent Georgia pipeline for talent shows that good marketing of the school, Twin Cities, BIG, AND climate can attract southern kids. Not a lot of luck with the West Coast and Mason worked New Jersey pretty well, but all in all I think the kids are balancing whether they can really be 20 hours or more from home (driving) or not. Some can and some can't...same for Southern schools recruiting Northern kids.

More to the point, The Cities have a lot to offer most 'cruts. Coach Fleck is very well positioned to exploit this.

Last edited:

Top Bottom