Wisconsin 2019-20

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
https://onwisconsin.uwalumni.com/features/uw-basketball-begins-with-women-and-a-goat/

Badger women's basketball; the early years (with photos):
Just three years later [after Naismith invented basketball], a group of young women at the University of Wisconsin joined a handful of other schools, including Smith and Mount Holyoke Colleges, by playing an organized game of basketball. Their court was inside Ladies Hall, later to be renamed Chadbourne Hall.

By 1896, with enough women participating in the sport, an interclass league was formed, and a championship team emerged from four groups during a tournament held in winter 1897. That event would be scheduled at the university for the next four decades, although during the early years, the players were challenged by the expectations of the era: competing enthusiastically, yet maintaining a “ladylike” demeanor (which resulted in slower-paced, less- aggressive rules for many years to come).

The women’s sport became so popular that the tournament drew hundreds of spectators for the two or three weekends when it took place. After a foray into arranging games with area high schools and the Milwaukee State Normal School, a faculty committee put an end to outside competition around 1900.

At the UW, women’s basketball preceded the beginning of men’s basketball by four years. The men played their first game in Milwaukee in January 1899, and by 1902, they had an all-away-games schedule. But through its early years, the women’s team remained the most popular women’s spectator sport on campus.

When the cramped facilities of Chadbourne Hall were replaced by the spaciousness of the newly built Lathrop Hall in 1910, the game and the tournament gained even more fans. Lathrop was viewed as a luxurious and much-needed addition to campus when it first opened, and it quickly became a home away from home for many of the 1,059 women then enrolled. The facility featured a cafeteria, reading rooms, a swimming pool, a bowling alley, and a gymnasium.

https://uwbadgers.com/documents/2019/8/6/2019_20_BB_Printable_Schedule.pdf

Ding! Ding! We may have a winner! Here's the Badger schedule with last season's opponent's NCAA RPI. Prairie View is one of the more formidable foes.

317 @ North Dakota State
294 Eastern Illinois
268 Arkansas State
258 Wofford
234 North Florida
222 (N) Ball State
204 Milwaukee
191 Prairie View A&M
170 @ Colorado
73 @ Georgia Tech
68 (N) Arkansas

https://uwbadgers.com/documents/2019/8/6/2019_20_BB_Printable_Schedule.pdf

Ding! Ding! We may have a winner! Here's the Badger schedule with last season's opponent's NCAA RPI. Prairie View is one of the more formidable foes.

317 @ North Dakota State
294 Eastern Illinois
268 Arkansas State
258 Wofford
234 North Florida
222 (N) Ball State
204 Milwaukee
191 Prairie View A&M
170 @ Colorado
73 @ Georgia Tech
68 (N) Arkansas

Egad, I hope we have a winner(/loser). If there's a team in the league with a worse schedule than this, the whole B1G is doomed. I'm not a student athlete (or any kind of an athlete), but if you were one, wouldn't you just look at this schedule your coaching staff put together and interpret it as, "We do not believe in you?"

Why is their women's basketball program so bad compared to their other sports? Why does it seem they are content with the results as well? I have a buddy who is hoping they win more 50% of their games so they can have post-season play, why is the bar set so low, this is Tsipis' 4th season and the bar is .500? What other sport would that ever be ok in the 4th year of coaches tenure at Wisconsin? or any school for that matter.

It's Tsipis' third season. (And, yes I've been mildly surprised that his first two B1G seasons are 3-13 and 2-14. Plus, progress seemed microscopic). The Bobbie Kelsey era severely augured the program deep into lake Mendota. I do miss her Kurt Rambis like dedication to the triangle offense while complaining that she lacked players smart enough to run it.

https://www.wiscnews.com/sports/col...cle_c1715f32-0c26-5ad6-9ffa-8e04330fd947.html
Two freshmen also are probable starters — 6-foot guard Julie Pospisilova from Prague, Czech Republic, and 5-11 point guard Sydney Hilliard of Monroe, who is working her way back from a minor knee injury that has sidelined her for a couple weeks.

The other two freshmen, 5-11 forward Tara Stauffacher, a former Beaver Dam athlete, and 6-3 post Sara Stapleton of Blaine, Minnesota, figure to play key reserve roles.

“I think our whole team sees the impact that our four freshmen can have,” Tsipis said. “Julie is a 20-year-old freshman and she brings a lot of international experience. She wasn’t here for the eight weeks in the summer, but I think she’s jumped right in. Playing against professionals for the last three years has really helped her to adjust very quickly.

Redshirt junior Courtney Fredrickson, who suffered a torn ACL in the second game last season, suffered a setback in her rehab and will miss the first part of the season. And redshirt freshman Carmen Backes, a highly regarded recruit who missed all of last season with a knee injury, continues to be sidelined by that and could also miss this season.

Top Bottom