Joey Brackets Latest Bracketology: Gophers Still In

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Gophers remain in Joe Lunardi's bracket even with loss of Amir Coffey. Are among "last 4 in".

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gophers remain in Joe Lunardi's bracket even with loss of Amir Coffey. Are among "last 4 in".

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Barring serious injury issues, I expect them to be in. Especially if Curry returns to his freshman form.

Barring serious injury issues, I expect them to be in. Especially if Curry returns to his freshman form.

My current projection of Gophers is 9th in Big Ten, among "10 to Keep An Eye On" nationally. I guess that means I see them as a potential bubble team. I'd define my reasonable expectation for the 2019-20 Gophers as a NIT bid. Too many unknowns for me to go higher than that.

Tough to take Joe seriously on some of these. Obviously, it's really early to be putting this together so opinions are going to be all over the place. But just looking at the B1G:

Iowa as a 6 seed after losing Cook, Bohannon (at least for next year), and Moss?

I respect Painter, but Purdue as a 4 with everything they lost from last year seems pretty generous.

Eight B1G teams feels a little heavy. Gophers wouldn't be in my field as of right now, and I might drop one of Iowa/Wisconsin/Penn St out as well. Feels like a year where the B1G gets 6-7 teams in the dance.

4 months to the beginning of the season and we are in already COOL! I believe we are traveling to Italy this summer but I don't know when. Gopher Sports does not even list this year's schedule yet but last year we started on November 1st I believe

Have we ever had a year without a serious injury? I don't think we are alone there

With 7 new players including last year's transfers we have lots of unknowns but we actually seem to have more depth at every position than I can remember

The unknowns are potentially huge pluses.

Tough to take Joe seriously on some of these. Obviously, it's really early to be putting this together so opinions are going to be all over the place. But just looking at the B1G:

Iowa as a 6 seed after losing Cook, Bohannon (at least for next year), and Moss?

I respect Painter, but Purdue as a 4 with everything they lost from last year seems pretty generous.

Eight B1G teams feels a little heavy. Gophers wouldn't be in my field as of right now, and I might drop one of Iowa/Wisconsin/Penn St out as well. Feels like a year where the B1G gets 6-7 teams in the dance.
Yeah, right now Iowa, Wisconsin don't pass the eye test for me, injuries with their depth could send Wisconsin to weakling Wednesday. Penn State just doesn't have the guards IMO. Have a weird feeling about IU, think they'll be better if healthy. Purdue needs a couple guys in the backcourt to step up. Not sure what happened to NW, they've recruited well, but maybe it's one of those deals where the sum of it's parts just aren't a fit. Rutgers will be Scrappy, tough out at the RAC. Think the Gophs are right where they should be, last four in, out territory. I feel like we were flirt with the line alot next year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I know Lunardi is well respected in terms of bracketology but does anyone ever look back to see how many of these way-to-early projections actually turn out to be right? There are way too many unknows to put any stock in something like this right now, it is just filler during the off season.

That said, I would rather see us projected as being in as opposed to being out even if it does mean next to nothing.

I know Lunardi is well respected in terms of bracketology but does anyone ever look back to see how many of these way-to-early projections actually turn out to be right? There are way too many unknows to put any stock in something like this right now, it is just filler during the off season.

That said, I would rather see us projected as being in as opposed to being out even if it does mean next to nothing.

Filler during the off-season. ... that is definitely correct. Nevertheless, something to banter about until the season finally arrives.

Agree that it is meaningless filler right now. Something has to generate clicks for college bb sites in the off-season! I don't put together my own first bracket or pay much attention to others until February. Just something to talk about at this point.

Last edited:

Yeah, right now Iowa, Wisconsin don't pass the eye test for me, injuries with their depth could send Wisconsin to weakling Wednesday. Penn State just doesn't have the guards IMO. Have a weird feeling about IU, think they'll be better if healthy. Purdue needs a couple guys in the backcourt to step up. Not sure what happened to NW, they've recruited well, but maybe it's one of those deals where the sum of it's parts just aren't a fit. Rutgers will be Scrappy, tough out at the RAC. Think the Gophs are right where they should be, last four in, out territory. I feel like we were flirt with the line alot next year.

When is the last time a Badger team has passed the "Eye test"..They never do. lol I see them as a 4-6 team in the conference. All teams in this league have many what if possibilities. Trice, Davison, Reuvers, Pritzl, King, Ford, Potter, Anderson, Wahl, Hedstrom. Top 9. I think they wanted to add a grad transfer big for this year but it didn't happen. I think Potter will be good. Hedstom is a question mark. so who knows. I hear he did well during his redshirt year against Happ in practice. but I don't trust them way out there predictions. We'll hope for no injuries as they really change the potential of about any team as you guys found out last year.

When is the last time a Badger team has passed the "Eye test"..They never do. lol I see them as a 4-6 team in the conference. All teams in this league have many what if possibilities. Trice, Davison, Reuvers, Pritzl, King, Ford, Potter, Anderson, Wahl, Hedstrom. Top 9. I think they wanted to add a grad transfer big for this year but it didn't happen. I think Potter will be good. Hedstom is a question mark. so who knows. I hear he did well during his redshirt year against Happ in practice. but I don't trust them way out there predictions. We'll hope for no injuries as they really change the potential of about any team as you guys found out last year.

Yeah but they don’t pass the smell test either

Actually for about twenty years you passed the eye test, you don't have the horses, you don't even enough horses. Potter was a bust at OSU, Ford lol, Hedstrom a gopher reject, that's like expecting Freeman to do anything this year. Davidson can't shoot, but he's white boy tough, played quarterback don't ya know. King and Pritzel are nice bench pieces, but there not that guy who can step up and put the team on their back. Look my mom's god kid is one of your walkons so I root for him, but good luck with those nine scholarship players

Actually for about twenty years you passed the eye test, you don't have the horses, you don't even enough horses. Potter was a bust at OSU, Ford lol, Hedstrom a gopher reject, that's like expecting Freeman to do anything this year. Davidson can't shoot, but he's white boy tough, played quarterback don't ya know. King and Pritzel are nice bench pieces, but there not that guy who can step up and put the team on their back. Look my mom's god kid is one of your walkons so I root for him, but good luck with those nine scholarship players

Potter was not a bust according to the OSU guys. Even they said they played him out of position. Then the injury. Hedstrom was never on the gophers radar. He was a walk on last year for us. Can't teach 7'0..as far as expectations. That is why I said he was a question mark. Davison can shoot..What are you talking about? King is much more than a bench player. Pritzl is a good 6th man that is a great shooter. Reuvers could be pretty special. This team will be much better than its parts. I thought you were one of the reasonable guys here that liked to talk hoops. I guess I was wrong. 10 Scholarship players not 9 Wrong again.

Are you thinking that UW will have a losing conference record ? Do you think they are well coached ?

Are you thinking that UW will have a losing conference record ? Do you think they are well coached ?
They had one two years ago. There not poorly coached, but Gard is no Bo Ryan, he needs a better base of talent to work with then Bo did. They have recruited poorly and we all know no team ever stays completely healthy, that poor recruiting will catch up this year. There 2020 class is solid, but that does nothing for next year Surprised they haven't offered Crowl, he's like a poor man's Reuvers.

Potter was not a bust according to the OSU guys. Even they said they played him out of position. Then the injury. Hedstrom was never on the gophers radar. He was a walk on last year for us. Can't teach 7'0..as far as expectations. That is why I said he was a question mark. Davison can shoot..What are you talking about? King is much more than a bench player. Pritzl is a good 6th man that is a great shooter. Reuvers could be pretty special. This team will be much better than its parts. I thought you were one of the reasonable guys here that liked to talk hoops. I guess I was wrong. 10 Scholarship players not 9 Wrong again.
Hedstrom, Pritzel, King, Brad, Reuvers, Trice, Ford, Potter, Wahl, that's nine, if Potter has to sit out that's right, unless you gave a walkon a scholly, then good for you I guess. Not on the radar is the definition of reject, it means they didn't want him. Iam very reasonable, I am not pretending it's sunshine and rainbows like you're that our best player is gone, were a bubble team at best this year. It comes down to the fact that you guys don't have enough talent, you're wishing and hoping that a couple of walkons, an injured transfer, will magically step up and you're calling me unreasonable. Might of happened with Bo, but Gard has made Pitino look like a genius with his roster management and that's hard to do. How does a Big Ten program lack the amount of players you do? As far as Brad's shooting goes, what were you watching? Yeah he's scrappy, I'll even concede that he's okay at shooting, but an assassin he is not, exhibit A the Oregon game, little Walter is the only one who hit a three all day

Davison can shoot..What are you talking about?

Well...

Shooting is one thing. Actually making them is quite another.

Davison 2017-18 FG%: .405
Davison 2018-19 FG%: .385

Yikes.

Last edited:

My current projection of Gophers is 9th in Big Ten, among "10 to Keep An Eye On" nationally. I guess that means I see them as a potential bubble team. I'd define my reasonable expectation for the 2019-20 Gophers as a NIT bid. Too many unknowns for me to go higher than that.

So then why bother??

Just wait. Let the unknowns become knowns.

They had one two years ago. There not poorly coached, but Gard is no Bo Ryan, he needs a better base of talent to work with then Bo did. They have recruited poorly and we all know no team ever stays completely healthy, that poor recruiting will catch up this year. There 2020 class is solid, but that does nothing for next year Surprised they haven't offered Crowl, he's like a poor man's Reuvers.

Well thought out and fair. I simply disagree. They went 14-6 last year, losing Happ is a large adjustment but internal improvement is a program staple and they will have better movement and terrific defense. 14-6 is a high mark but i do see a winning conference record.

Well thought out and fair. I simply disagree. They went 14-6 last year, losing Happ is a large adjustment but internal improvement is a program staple and they will have better movement and terrific defense. 14-6 is a high mark but i do see a winning conference record.

Agree that Wisconsin does a great job developing guys. I worry about their ability to score. Happ would bail them out of a lot of possessions at the end of shot clocks. I just don't know who that is for them yet. Big ten will be interesting this year and I just dont think it's as deep. That being said I still think they are a top 8 team as well. I see larger drops from Iowa and other teams

Agree that Wisconsin does a great job developing guys. I worry about their ability to score. Happ would bail them out of a lot of possessions at the end of shot clocks. I just don't know who that is for them yet. Big ten will be interesting this year and I just dont think it's as deep. That being said I still think they are a top 8 team as well. I see larger drops from Iowa and other teams

I share your concern on scoring but i think the versatility on spacing and movement will benefit King, Ford and Nate. My respect for the high level of teaching skills that Gard has is real. Not everyone is great at stressing the things that come together to pile up wins. It will be very interesting to me who wins more, the Gophers or UW. They both lost their most valuable players and face many similar challenges.

According to what OSU guys? Most players are never going to criticize a teammate to the media, and high paid coaches shouldn't knock an amateur who's transferring to play more, it's just sour grapes for a coach to do that, but whether the coach criticizes them on the way out or not is meaningless because all coaches manipulate the media anyway. The only angst from an OSU standpoint is the dude bolted on the team at the last possible instant and gave them literally no opportunity to replace him prior to the season. Potter is a fairly 1-dimensional player, he brings shooting. He is too slow of foot to play adequate defense against top college competition, that is why he was not starting and lost minutes to Kyle Young.

You don't have the genius of Bo Ryan to rely on at all anymore, so you can't just assume this team is going to outperform recruiting expectations. The roster has gone downhill since Bo left and this is going to be another NIT type Badger team (second in 3 years).

I also see Iowa being worse than Joe's projections. I do not see them as being more than a bubble team, and probably will miss the tourney altogether.

Top Bottom