Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bracketville, MN
    Posts
    21,501
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Joey Brackets Latest Bracketology: Gophers Still In

    Gophers remain in Joe Lunardi's bracket even with loss of Amir Coffey. Are among "last 4 in".




  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    Gophers remain in Joe Lunardi's bracket even with loss of Amir Coffey. Are among "last 4 in".


    Barring serious injury issues, I expect them to be in. Especially if Curry returns to his freshman form.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bracketville, MN
    Posts
    21,501
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macgopher View Post
    Barring serious injury issues, I expect them to be in. Especially if Curry returns to his freshman form.
    My current projection of Gophers is 9th in Big Ten, among "10 to Keep An Eye On" nationally. I guess that means I see them as a potential bubble team. I'd define my reasonable expectation for the 2019-20 Gophers as a NIT bid. Too many unknowns for me to go higher than that.

  4. #4

    Default

    Tough to take Joe seriously on some of these. Obviously, it's really early to be putting this together so opinions are going to be all over the place. But just looking at the B1G:

    Iowa as a 6 seed after losing Cook, Bohannon (at least for next year), and Moss?

    I respect Painter, but Purdue as a 4 with everything they lost from last year seems pretty generous.

    Eight B1G teams feels a little heavy. Gophers wouldn't be in my field as of right now, and I might drop one of Iowa/Wisconsin/Penn St out as well. Feels like a year where the B1G gets 6-7 teams in the dance.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macgopher View Post
    Barring serious injury issues, I expect them to be in. Especially if Curry returns to his freshman form.
    4 months to the beginning of the season and we are in already COOL! I believe we are traveling to Italy this summer but I don't know when. Gopher Sports does not even list this year's schedule yet but last year we started on November 1st I believe

    Have we ever had a year without a serious injury? I don't think we are alone there

    With 7 new players including last year's transfers we have lots of unknowns but we actually seem to have more depth at every position than I can remember

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    31,322
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    The unknowns are potentially huge pluses.
    Kingdom Warriors

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    6,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    Tough to take Joe seriously on some of these. Obviously, it's really early to be putting this together so opinions are going to be all over the place. But just looking at the B1G:

    Iowa as a 6 seed after losing Cook, Bohannon (at least for next year), and Moss?

    I respect Painter, but Purdue as a 4 with everything they lost from last year seems pretty generous.

    Eight B1G teams feels a little heavy. Gophers wouldn't be in my field as of right now, and I might drop one of Iowa/Wisconsin/Penn St out as well. Feels like a year where the B1G gets 6-7 teams in the dance.
    Yeah, right now Iowa, Wisconsin don't pass the eye test for me, injuries with their depth could send Wisconsin to weakling Wednesday. Penn State just doesn't have the guards IMO. Have a weird feeling about IU, think they'll be better if healthy. Purdue needs a couple guys in the backcourt to step up. Not sure what happened to NW, they've recruited well, but maybe it's one of those deals where the sum of it's parts just aren't a fit. Rutgers will be Scrappy, tough out at the RAC. Think the Gophs are right where they should be, last four in, out territory. I feel like we were flirt with the line alot next year.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    Tough to take Joe seriously on some of these. Obviously, it's really early to be putting this together so opinions are going to be all over the place. But just looking at the B1G:

    Iowa as a 6 seed after losing Cook, Bohannon (at least for next year), and Moss?

    I respect Painter, but Purdue as a 4 with everything they lost from last year seems pretty generous.

    Eight B1G teams feels a little heavy. Gophers wouldn't be in my field as of right now, and I might drop one of Iowa/Wisconsin/Penn St out as well. Feels like a year where the B1G gets 6-7 teams in the dance.
    I know Lunardi is well respected in terms of bracketology but does anyone ever look back to see how many of these way-to-early projections actually turn out to be right? There are way too many unknows to put any stock in something like this right now, it is just filler during the off season.

    That said, I would rather see us projected as being in as opposed to being out even if it does mean next to nothing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bracketville, MN
    Posts
    21,501
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    I know Lunardi is well respected in terms of bracketology but does anyone ever look back to see how many of these way-to-early projections actually turn out to be right? There are way too many unknows to put any stock in something like this right now, it is just filler during the off season.

    That said, I would rather see us projected as being in as opposed to being out even if it does mean next to nothing.
    Filler during the off-season. ... that is definitely correct. Nevertheless, something to banter about until the season finally arrives.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    I know Lunardi is well respected in terms of bracketology but does anyone ever look back to see how many of these way-to-early projections actually turn out to be right? There are way too many unknows to put any stock in something like this right now, it is just filler during the off season.

    That said, I would rather see us projected as being in as opposed to being out even if it does mean next to nothing.
    Agree that it is meaningless filler right now. Something has to generate clicks for college bb sites in the off-season! I don't put together my own first bracket or pay much attention to others until February. Just something to talk about at this point.
    Last edited by bizzle22; 06-27-2019 at 12:59 PM.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    Yeah, right now Iowa, Wisconsin don't pass the eye test for me, injuries with their depth could send Wisconsin to weakling Wednesday. Penn State just doesn't have the guards IMO. Have a weird feeling about IU, think they'll be better if healthy. Purdue needs a couple guys in the backcourt to step up. Not sure what happened to NW, they've recruited well, but maybe it's one of those deals where the sum of it's parts just aren't a fit. Rutgers will be Scrappy, tough out at the RAC. Think the Gophs are right where they should be, last four in, out territory. I feel like we were flirt with the line alot next year.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    When is the last time a Badger team has passed the "Eye test"..They never do. lol I see them as a 4-6 team in the conference. All teams in this league have many what if possibilities. Trice, Davison, Reuvers, Pritzl, King, Ford, Potter, Anderson, Wahl, Hedstrom. Top 9. I think they wanted to add a grad transfer big for this year but it didn't happen. I think Potter will be good. Hedstom is a question mark. so who knows. I hear he did well during his redshirt year against Happ in practice. but I don't trust them way out there predictions. We'll hope for no injuries as they really change the potential of about any team as you guys found out last year.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigeddysprings View Post
    When is the last time a Badger team has passed the "Eye test"..They never do. lol I see them as a 4-6 team in the conference. All teams in this league have many what if possibilities. Trice, Davison, Reuvers, Pritzl, King, Ford, Potter, Anderson, Wahl, Hedstrom. Top 9. I think they wanted to add a grad transfer big for this year but it didn't happen. I think Potter will be good. Hedstom is a question mark. so who knows. I hear he did well during his redshirt year against Happ in practice. but I don't trust them way out there predictions. We'll hope for no injuries as they really change the potential of about any team as you guys found out last year.
    Yeah but they don’t pass the smell test either

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    6,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigeddysprings View Post
    When is the last time a Badger team has passed the "Eye test"..They never do. lol I see them as a 4-6 team in the conference. All teams in this league have many what if possibilities. Trice, Davison, Reuvers, Pritzl, King, Ford, Potter, Anderson, Wahl, Hedstrom. Top 9. I think they wanted to add a grad transfer big for this year but it didn't happen. I think Potter will be good. Hedstom is a question mark. so who knows. I hear he did well during his redshirt year against Happ in practice. but I don't trust them way out there predictions. We'll hope for no injuries as they really change the potential of about any team as you guys found out last year.
    Actually for about twenty years you passed the eye test, you don't have the horses, you don't even enough horses. Potter was a bust at OSU, Ford lol, Hedstrom a gopher reject, that's like expecting Freeman to do anything this year. Davidson can't shoot, but he's white boy tough, played quarterback don't ya know. King and Pritzel are nice bench pieces, but there not that guy who can step up and put the team on their back. Look my mom's god kid is one of your walkons so I root for him, but good luck with those nine scholarship players

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    Actually for about twenty years you passed the eye test, you don't have the horses, you don't even enough horses. Potter was a bust at OSU, Ford lol, Hedstrom a gopher reject, that's like expecting Freeman to do anything this year. Davidson can't shoot, but he's white boy tough, played quarterback don't ya know. King and Pritzel are nice bench pieces, but there not that guy who can step up and put the team on their back. Look my mom's god kid is one of your walkons so I root for him, but good luck with those nine scholarship players

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Potter was not a bust according to the OSU guys. Even they said they played him out of position. Then the injury. Hedstrom was never on the gophers radar. He was a walk on last year for us. Can't teach 7'0..as far as expectations. That is why I said he was a question mark. Davison can shoot..What are you talking about? King is much more than a bench player. Pritzl is a good 6th man that is a great shooter. Reuvers could be pretty special. This team will be much better than its parts. I thought you were one of the reasonable guys here that liked to talk hoops. I guess I was wrong. 10 Scholarship players not 9 Wrong again.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    Actually for about twenty years you passed the eye test, you don't have the horses, you don't even enough horses. Potter was a bust at OSU, Ford lol, Hedstrom a gopher reject, that's like expecting Freeman to do anything this year. Davidson can't shoot, but he's white boy tough, played quarterback don't ya know. King and Pritzel are nice bench pieces, but there not that guy who can step up and put the team on their back. Look my mom's god kid is one of your walkons so I root for him, but good luck with those nine scholarship players

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Are you thinking that UW will have a losing conference record ? Do you think they are well coached ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •