Sid: Gophers football has amazing recruiting success in June

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

A few months ago, Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck told me the new recruiting rules — allowing for official visits in the summer and having an early signing period in December — meant he would try to have most of his recruiting class signed by the end of the year.

That has never been more apparent than in the past two weeks, The Gophers have rocketed up the recruiting service rankings by bringing in 13 new commitments.

The most recent commitments came from Abner Dubar, a safety from Anna, Texas, who had offers from schools such as Texas Tech, Baylor and Colorado, and Itayvion Brown, an outside linebacker from St. Louis (Mo.) Lutheran who picked the Gophers over Kansas, Florida State and Illinois.

The Gophers now have 21 commitments for the Class of 2020, which is the most in the Big Ten and has them ranked 24th in the nation according to 247Sports.com.

European Gophers

A new wrinkle to the Gophers’ 2020 recruiting class is the commitments of offensive player Richard Agyekum of the Netherlands and Melle Kreuder, a defensive end from Germany.

Targeting international recruits is a learning process for Fleck and his staff.

“There is certain services that these young people in Europe connect with and they bring them over to the states and do kind of a camp circuit,” he said. “Football is a global sport. There is a lot of players, even international, that sometimes get overlooked. Some of these services that bring players over, we have gotten to know who they are and been able to get to some of the camps that these players are going to be at.

“Whether they’re American or international student-athletes, we want to find the best ones. It just happens we’re going to have some international students, possibly. We’re very excited about that to be able to create opportunities for even the international student-athletes who can experience football over here.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-football-has-amazing-recruiting-success-in-june/511871722/

Go Gophers!!

Will be interesting to see how the international angle evolves over time and if that becomes a route we go after on a regular basis. It would seem that if you can find the right players you might be able to get a steal that way because at least at this point I would think international recruits won't be targeted by as many teams.

You see lots of international guys in basketball and hockey but I don't think they are very common in football yet. Assuming the two we have committed right now sign, it will be interesting to see how they fare once they get on campus.

Will be interesting to see how the international angle evolves over time and if that becomes a route we go after on a regular basis. It would seem that if you can find the right players you might be able to get a steal that way because at least at this point I would think international recruits won't be targeted by as many teams.

You see lots of international guys in basketball and hockey but I don't think they are very common in football yet. Assuming the two we have committed right now sign, it will be interesting to see how they fare once they get on campus.

I wonder how many international / project type guys we are taking now compared to the past?

Daniel Faalele is Australian, right? That being said, he went to high school in Florida. So... is he an international player?

I'd like to get a few more of his type... you know, huge, athletic, talented.

Daniel Faalele is Australian, right? That being said, he went to high school in Florida. So... is he an international player?

He also had a lot of offers... so he might be international, but he hardly was under-recruited.

He probabbly had more attention than most US players.

Because Faalele played some high school ball in the US I don't think he would fall into that same class as an international guy but don't really know what the criteria is.

In the end, if a kid can play it doesn't matter where they grew up and if we can get some strong players this way that is awesome. I would think that having a few on roster would make us more attractive to future international guys as a potential landing spot should they choose to come to the US and play.

"One noticeable trait about the class thus far is that nearly every commitment is a three-star recruit.

Fleck told me that is by design, believing he and his coaching staff are at their best when they recruit players they can develop."

[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"One noticeable trait about the class thus far is that nearly every commitment is a three-star recruit.

Fleck told me that is by design, believing he and his coaching staff are at their best when they recruit players they can develop."

[emoji848]

Oh, I bet he'd take the odd 5-star... if the kid was really, really elite.

I'm kidding.

Look, this program is not at a point where it can consistently compete for the 5-stars — yet.

But I believe Fleck has us headed in the right direction. And I loved it when Kill and his staff coached players up/developed them; hopefully our current coaches will do the same.

I'm still amazed that the Gophers got Faalele. I remember reading this article in SI: https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/15/daniel-faalele-college-football-recruit-img

What’s amazing about it is that it’s a two year old article mentioning that Daniel had never played a down in an actual football game, and here we are.

Dunlap is mentioned in this article too, as one of the “superstars” Faalele can learn from. It is amazing that we got both of those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji848]

Not all 3 star recruits are created equal. Our class may lack the top flight guys at the moment but it is also filled with guys with legit offer sheets from teams in the Big Ten and other power 5 programs.

Still room for improvement but we have started going head to head with other big ten schools and winning the battles for some of these guys. That wasn't the case under previous staffs where many times we were a kids best offer.

Daniel Jackson is the No. 54 ranked wide receiver in the country and holds a 0.9019 composite scoring, according to 24/7 Sports data. - joins last day of June and highest rated of the group.

Top Bottom