Outlook of Gopher QB Position

That’s kind of my point with my pocket presence post. For all his good qualities he has had a bit of a glass jaw and IMO started playing more “scared” about 3 games in and his accuracy just wasn’t there downfield. Sure some part of that is chemistry and timing and being a true freshman. Part of the backpedaling and hurried off balance throws was no doubt a result of Schleuter’s massive difficulties but not sure it went away after Faalele was inserted. If he gets the nod it will be interesting to see how he does and I pray he’s great and he sure could be but I’d rather go with the battle-tested and proven veteran. Fair enough to disagree.
The other thing to remember is that ankle injury he picked up against Miami(OH). They said he was fine but anyone could see it severely limited his mobility those next few games. Even his drops weren't quite as smooth.

he was efficient and effective in Madison where we’ve been accustomed to QB meltdowns.

He was 9-16 for 124 yards. He didn't have to do much but hand the ball off. No interceptions in Madison is nice for a change, but it isn't like he was asked to engineer a key drive through the air in clutch time. The game was in hand due to the running game, special teams, and an opportunistic MN defense.

Shouldn’t we give TM an opportunity to continue his ascent before getting greedy and trying out the next guy?

Who said he won't get the opportunity? He will have every opportunity to keep the job. And, I think he will likely get the job. I love his moxy and leadership.

But, the fact that Fleck has clearly indicated the job is still up for grabs tells you they really like ZA, too. And, to not give ZA a fair shot to win back the job he lost due to injury would also be less than prudent.

What is there to gain for the Gophers by naming anyone the starting QB in June?

The beauty is that both guys can wins games (and have won games). We will likely need them both at various points of the year. Good problem to have.

Last edited:

The other thing to remember is that ankle injury he picked up against Miami(OH). They said he was fine but anyone could see it severely limited his mobility those next few games. Even his drops weren't quite as smooth.

Agree he was hobbled for Miami, Maryland but looked fine by the Ohio State game. Don't believe me? Let's look at a few games where Big Dan was playing instead of Schlueter and they were both going against good defenses and ZA was close to 100%. You be the judge. What do you guys think? There were some great peformances in these games at times, Ibrahim breaking out vs OSU, etc. Seth Green.

Annexstad vs Ohio State

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nrKqdBNJCdQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Morgan highlights vs Wisconsin. Hard to believe but there isn't a full game on Youtube. Feel free to watch on BTN2Go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HKFPavriGD0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Vs Nebraska

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tPftpzgWAlg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Against UW most of those Tanner completions were clutch 3rd down throws. ZA is supposedly the superior arm talent. If they can get him to be as accurate and poised and decisive as TM was against Bucky, but with the ability to hit on some deep balls, sure I’m all for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Against UW most of those Tanner completions were clutch 3rd down throws. ZA is supposedly the superior arm talent. If they can get him to be as accurate and poised and decisive as TM was against Bucky, but with the ability to hit on some deep balls, sure I’m all for it.

I keep hearing this but all the video evidence says otherwise. Another underrated and often totally ignored factor apparent in the games is that TM2 is an effective runner and makes good decisions to do so.

I can recall several deep balls completed by Tanner, right in stride. I can’t remember any from ZA. I don’t doubt he has the “arm talent” to make those throws, but I need to see it in a real live game. He did throw at least one nice deep ball to Bateman in the Spring game. That was nice to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep hearing this but all the video evidence says otherwise. Another underrated and often totally ignored factor apparent in the games is that TM2 is an effective runner and makes good decisions to do so.

I’m not arguing one way or another, but it’s what the insiders say and that means it’s what the coaches have seen.

I’m not arguing one way or another, but it’s what the insiders say and that means it’s what the coaches have seen.

That doesn’t make much sense based on what we’re seeing.

Oh God, it occurred to me could this be like the Chilly Tavaris Jackson thing? Falls in love with a guy...

Jacob Clark looks like he can launch it and probably has a perceptible advantage but even then there are a lot of other factors to consider.

End of the day we have to hope the coach makes good decisions, ie not Robb Smith like decisions.

As I recall it, there was griping on this board about Annexstad looping his long throws downfield - more arc than zip.

But again- true freshman starting for the first time. With a year of growth and development, and time in the strength program, he could look like a different player this year.

If I had to guess, I would probably say that Morgan is the steadier of the two, but Annexstad might have a higher ceiling. It all depends on what the coaches want from the position. if they want more of a 'game manager' type, Morgan might be the guy. If they want to air it out, could be Annexstad. Or one of the true freshmen could blow them away in practice and they wind up starting one of them.

Here's my bold prediction - the person who trots out to the huddle and takes the first snap from center for the first game of the season is the starting quarterback. And that choice will be made by Fleck, Kirk C and the coaches - not by an on-line poll or a vote on a message board. And no matter who starts, someone will come on this board that night and complain that the other guy should have started.

Capable of beating GSU? I'd say 5 of our QBs are capable of that.

Heck, you're capable of running the 10 minute mile, I'm sure, but all 5 of your QBs couldn't beat GSU. Just pick your #1!!!!!!

One thing is for sure - with Jacob Clark, Kramer coming on next season the QB battle both on the field and in the hole will be lively. Every fan hopes a QB comes in and is so impressive he seized the starting position for years to come. That is a fairly rare occurrence.

What’s more important or telling than live action game reps?

Game reps. But if a guy is a true freshman, and starting, and he’s got a disaster at RT, his great deep ball in practice might not translate to games. But maybe they think it will this year for reasons known only to them. Is that possible you think?

Game reps. But if a guy is a true freshman, and starting, and he’s got a disaster at RT, his great deep ball in practice might not translate to games. But maybe they think it will this year for reasons known only to them. Is that possible you think?

It doesn’t compute for me but I’m not the head coach.

It doesn’t compute for me but I’m not the head coach.

Again, what's the benefit in naming a starting QB in June? You make it sound there's some coaching conspiracy against TM. TM will have the chance to keep the job. The coaches will be wise and allow ZA to show what he can do, too. There's an entire summer of workouts and a fall camp to let them sort it out.

I miss Leidner.

I keed, I keed.

Again, what's the benefit in naming a starting QB in June? You make it sound there's some coaching conspiracy against TM. TM will have the chance to keep the job. The coaches will be wise and allow ZA to show what he can do, too. There's an entire summer of workouts and a fall camp to let them sort it out.

I never said there was a conspiracy. We’re having an argument/discussion about our opinions on it. That’s why we’re here, I think. Maybe not.

There was much more balance in playcalling with Zack at QB. The difference in arm talent is big and very noticeable, where it is the easiest to pick up is timing routes in open practices. Don't get me wrong both Zack and Tanner are capable of leading this offense to a very solid season the ceiling is just higher with Zack.

Whoever it is, I hope those 45-yard, jump ball, Hail Mary-type bombs towards the goal line are thrown more accurately.

Whoever it is, I hope those 45-yard, jump ball, Hail Mary-type bombs towards the goal line are thrown more accurately.

Can Morgan even throw it 45 yards. He appears to have a very weak arm.

Can Morgan even throw it 45 yards. He appears to have a very weak arm.

Yeah that throw he made in the cold and rain to Bateman to win the game was a POS.

[video]https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/25094340[/video]

ZA only played in one full game with Faalele as the starter at RT (at Ohio State). The previous games ZA was running for his life, much of it while injured, in large part because of the deficiencies at RT. The 1st half of the Iowa game was the turning point of the season for the OL. It was at that point the coaching staff realized they had to play Faalele and not worry about keeping a redshirt he was never going to use anyway. Common sense finally prevailed and the offense got better. Faalele should have been starting from game one, but the coaches mistakenly tried to preserve his redshirt, which he was never going to use, ever.

Both played Nebraska game with Faalele and offense was leaps and bounds better when Morgan took over at the half.

Personally, I’m grateful for Mr. Fleck having to choose between Morgan (who I’d prefer start) and ZA. I’m in my mid-twenties, not much older than R Smith and S Brooks, but if I recall correctly Rhoda and Croft were our QB’s in 2017. Not a whole lot to write home about. My point is that the QB talent has improved significantly in a relatively short time. Can’t wait until August - RTB!

Personally, I’m grateful for Mr. Fleck having to choose between Morgan (who I’d prefer start) and ZA. I’m in my mid-twenties, not much older than R Smith and S Brooks, but if I recall correctly Rhoda and Croft were our QB’s in 2017. Not a whole lot to write home about. My point is that the QB talent has improved significantly in a relatively short time. Can’t wait until August - RTB!

The talent in nearly every position has improved significantly I feel.

Yeah that throw he made in the cold and rain to Bateman to win the game was a POS.

[video]https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/25094340[/video]

I wish I could find a video of ZA making a throw like that in a game (not practice, scrimmage, etc) but I came up empty. I even watched his high school highlights from his Senior year. Maybe there’s one out there that I missed. Morgan’s high school tape includes many accurate deep passes.

Last edited:

I wish I could find a video of ZA making a throw like that in a game (not practice, scrimmage, etc) but I came up empty. I even watched his high school highlights from his Senior year. Maybe there’s one out there that I missed. Morgan’s high school tape includes many accurate deep passes.

Nebraska last year. Was a perfect TD toss that was called back on a penalty.

Nebraska last year. Was a perfect TD toss that was called back on a penalty.

Morgan's pass to Bateman was nearly 50 yards in the air compared to about 35 for Annexstad, but ZA did make this throw look easy.

Zack tends to put a lot more air under the ball on his deep throws than Morgan does. We saw it on those incompletions early in the season, when he basically lobbed it up for grabs. The best throw I’ve seen him make was the deep ball to Bateman in the Spring game, yet it also had a lot of air under it. I guess I wouldn’t care if he could complete some of them in actual games.

EDIT: This is actually the pass to Bateman in the Spring game.

https://twitter.com/hobiefox9/status/1117108652656271362?s=21

Last edited:

Top Bottom