Outlook of Gopher QB Position

I'm guessing the team will continue to lean heavily on the run game no matter who the QB is. I really didn't notice Zack being able to make all these throws that Tanner couldn't. I don't think the difference in arm talent is that great between the two. I think either one of them could have a nice year if they stayed healthy and started the whole year, the offense should be very qb friendly.
There was much more balance in playcalling with Zack at QB. The difference in arm talent is big and very noticeable, where it is the easiest to pick up is timing routes in open practices. Don't get me wrong both Zack and Tanner are capable of leading this offense to a very solid season the ceiling is just higher with Zack.

Regardless of who they choose, I want them to succeed. That said, you must have been watching a different team last season. I realize Morgan had another year in the system watching from the bench, but he was far more effective in leading the offense, and he did it against stronger competition. We’ll see if Zach catches up to him this year. I don’t care who it is, as long as we’re winning, even if it’s Seth Green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lot more goes into it than that. Morgan had a gameplan tailored to lean much heavier on the run and short passes than Annexstad earlier in the season and Ibrahim had established himself by that time. Faalele had solidified the tackle spot. The defense was at its best late in the year. The stronger competition thing I disagree with both had some tough teams and atmospheres. Zack @Ohio State, Fresno, and Iowa, Tanner @Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Purdue not much difference between the two groups.

Lot more goes into it than that. Morgan had a gameplan tailored to lean much heavier on the run and short passes than Annexstad earlier in the season and Ibrahim had established himself by that time. Faalele had solidified the tackle spot. The defense was at its best late in the year. The stronger competition thing I disagree with both had some tough teams and atmospheres. Zack @Ohio State, Fresno, and Iowa, Tanner @Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Purdue not much difference between the two groups.

I’m not going to debate potential, because both were Freshman, and much remains to be seen with both of them, but the numbers clearly show Morgan was the more effective QB last season, as did the eye test.

YPA:
Morgan 9.2
Annexstad 6.8

Rating:
Morgan 147.6
Annexstad 117.6

Completion %
Morgan 58.6
Annexstad 51.9

Like I said, maybe Annexstad will put it all together this year, and take over. Who knows?

Last edited:

Morgan benefited by a much improved OL (helped run game) and the reemergence of a quality defense. In the last four games he was a game manager, very average numbers. Don't get me wrong, I like both and think they will be noticeably better in 2019.

I think what ZA has is much more of an upside...and he just looks the part physically. Clearly put on some solid muscle in the off-season. I also think he is highly motivated in many ways, including wanting to be on the field with his two monster line buddies. Having said that, I believe he will need to clearly separate his performance from TM to be the starter for the first game.

There was much more balance in playcalling with Zack at QB. The difference in arm talent is big and very noticeable, where it is the easiest to pick up is timing routes in open practices. Don't get me wrong both Zack and Tanner are capable of leading this offense to a very solid season the ceiling is just higher with Zack.

I don't think the balance in play calling was any different. I felt like they let Zack air it out against NMST in an attempt to get reps in.
The other times he threw a lot were because we were losing. The offense when things are going good will run it about two thirds of the time. There may be a difference in arm talent, but Morgan seemed to make up for it with decision making and composure.

No offense, but ZA was nigh-awful throwing downfield. The catchable ball ratio was not high. The coaches did seem determined to go down field but it wasn’t working at all.

Morgan benefited by a much improved OL (helped run game) and the reemergence of a quality defense. In the last four games he was a game manager, very average numbers. Don't get me wrong, I like both and think they will be noticeably better in 2019.

I think what ZA has is much more of an upside...and he just looks the part physically. Clearly put on some solid muscle in the off-season. I also think he is highly motivated in many ways, including wanting to be on the field with his two monster line buddies. Having said that, I believe he will need to clearly separate his performance from TM to be the starter for the first game.

I’m not sure this matters for QBs but I suppose it’s nice.

It’s clear some of us have our favorites based on our eye test and statistics and level of competition and other factors but it has to be admitted the sample size for both was relatively small at around half a season for each. Personally I thought TM2 immediately looked better as the starter but I won’t disagree with those that say ZA was a true freshman and can get better. I do think the same argument can be made for the other guy though...and I’m a production/results oriented person. TM2 performed well under pressure in Madison and helped seal the win. Huge. Can’t turn backs to that.

That said, ZA could certainly turn out to be better. I have my own doubts but I’ve been wrong before.

IMHO we are going into the season knowing that either guy can get the job done. Which is a better situation than we’ve had in recent memory. Morgan beat Wisky on the road which is about as strong of a statement that a Gopher QB can make. But, when comparing him to ZA, he benefitted from a much improved defense and offensive line. PJF also left ZA out on the field when he was clearly hobbled by an injury and only went to the bullpen for Morgan when he absolutely couldn’t go anymore. That speaks volumes on what QB PJF feels gives the team the best potential for success.

IMHO we are going into the season knowing that either guy can get the job done. Which is a better situation than we’ve had in recent memory. Morgan beat Wisky on the road which is about as strong of a statement that a Gopher QB can make. But, when comparing him to ZA, he benefitted from a much improved defense and offensive line. PJF also left ZA out on the field when he was clearly hobbled by an injury and only went to the bullpen for Morgan when he absolutely couldn’t go anymore. That speaks volumes on what QB PJF feels gives the team the best potential for success.

It spoke volumes, but now PJF has witnessed half a season from Morgan, I'm sure Morgan's performance has changed some things.

It spoke volumes, but now PJF has witnessed half a season from Morgan, I'm sure Morgan's performance has changed some things.

True. But you need to then counterbalance that argument with ZA having a full year in the system and much more reliable, proven tools around him. For PJF to give ZA the leash he did as a true freshman was crazy looking back at it. Either way, good problem to have.

I'm not going to get into the Morgan/Annexstad debate. I remember the outlook with Croft/Rhoda. For me, the outlook is 2 QB's for this season who are at least fairly competent. There will be 2 freshmen QB's who were successful in h.s. (personally, I'm very optimistic about Clark).
Finally, a 4-star QB is committed for 2021. I think that the outlook for the Gophers at QB is brighter than it's been for a long time.

It speaks volumes about PJ but I’ve been told such talk is not allowed around here. He got Wally Pipped and we were better for it.

True. But you need to then counterbalance that argument with ZA having a full year in the system and much more reliable, proven tools around him. For PJF to give ZA the leash he did as a true freshman was crazy looking back at it. Either way, good problem to have.

Yep, perhaps unprecedented?

I’m not going to debate potential, because both were Freshman, and much remains to be seen with both of them, but the numbers clearly show Morgan was the more effective QB last season, as did the eye test.

YPA:
Morgan 9.2
Annexstad 6.8

Rating:
Morgan 147.6
Annexstad 117.6

Completion %
Morgan 58.6
Annexstad 51.9

Like I said, maybe Annexstad will put it all together this year, and take over. Who knows?

Your numbers and my instincts agree. I think that Morgan was more effective.

Whoever plays QB, I hope the offense can become a little less predictable. There has to be more to the offense than just Run up the middle and throw the slant to Johnson. They need to get all the receivers involved, and show some variety in the running game - some counters, toss sweeps, jet sweeps - something to keep the defense honest.

my gut tells me it's something like this - when you don't trust your defense, you keep the offense basic and try to avoid mistakes at all costs, because you don't want to give the ball back to the other team. But, if you trust your defense, you can afford to take a few more chances on offense, because one turnover, or some bad field position, is not going to doom your chances of winning.

So, the better the defense plays, I think (and hope) that the offense will feel free to open things up a little more.

The ball is the program

Hey, I’m not one to judge...

Ha! I think he got the durability message and hit the weights. I've been impressed with the level of interaction and how engaged he was with the rest of the offense from the first practice I attended last year.

I'm stoked to see this offense with the whole playbook to use, whether it's TM or ZA. I think they are going to steamroll these non-con opponents.

Whomever gets the invite to the Manning Passing Camp should win the job.

No offense, but ZA was nigh-awful throwing downfield. The catchable ball ratio was not high. The coaches did seem determined to go down field but it wasn’t working at all.
No doubt and the most frustrating thing was those were the types of throws he nailed over and over in camp to win the job. Coaches know he is capable of it as he has shown it in practice settings but gotta get it to translate to the games this season.

No doubt and the most frustrating thing was those were the types of throws he nailed over and over in camp to win the job. Coaches know he is capable of it as he has shown it in practice settings but gotta get it to translate to the games this season.

That’s kind of my point with my pocket presence post. For all his good qualities he has had a bit of a glass jaw and IMO started playing more “scared” about 3 games in and his accuracy just wasn’t there downfield. Sure some part of that is chemistry and timing and being a true freshman. Part of the backpedaling and hurried off balance throws was no doubt a result of Schleuter’s massive difficulties but not sure it went away after Faalele was inserted. If he gets the nod it will be interesting to see how he does and I pray he’s great and he sure could be but I’d rather go with the battle-tested and proven veteran. Fair enough to disagree.

Part of the backpedaling and hurried off balance throws was no doubt a result of Schleuter’s massive difficulties but not sure it went away after Faalele was inserted.

ZA only played in one full game with Faalele as the starter at RT (at Ohio State). The previous games ZA was running for his life, much of it while injured, in large part because of the deficiencies at RT. The 1st half of the Iowa game was the turning point of the season for the OL. It was at that point the coaching staff realized they had to play Faalele and not worry about keeping a redshirt he was never going to use anyway. Common sense finally prevailed and the offense got better. Faalele should have been starting from game one, but the coaches mistakenly tried to preserve his redshirt, which he was never going to use, ever.

ZA only played in one full game with Faalele as the starter at RT (at Ohio State). The previous games ZA was running for his life, much of it while injured, in large part because of the deficiencies at RT. The 1st half of the Iowa game was the turning point of the season for the OL. It was at that point the coaching staff realized they had to play Faalele and not worry about keeping a redshirt he was never going to use anyway. Common sense finally prevailed and the offense got better. Faalele should have been starting from game one, but the coaches mistakenly tried to preserve his redshirt, which he was never going to use, ever.

Yep, Schleuter was brutal at right tackle. I feel for the kid, actually.

None of this negates that TM IMO made more plays and looked better out there. Nearly 60%,~ 10 YPA, positive TD/INT ratio vs a Big Ten slate and he was efficient and effective in Madison where we’ve been accustomed to QB meltdowns.

What do we want? Sure, moar better, I get it. But pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Shouldn’t we give TM an opportunity to continue his ascent before getting greedy and trying out the next guy?

We have two who are probably capable of doing the job. For the GSU game, they won’t need to do much more than hand the ball off to a rotating trio of very good running backs (running behind a massive O-Line), with an occasional slant pass and/or deep ball over the top of a worn down defense.

You have 2 QBs that are PROBABLY CAPABLE OF BEATING GSU?

You'll need both of them!

Last edited:

Top Bottom