Outlook of Gopher QB Position

Just GOpher It

Reaction score
I believe I remember seeing a post from someone plugged in saying that it wouldn't surprise them if a Gopher QB transferred after this year. After seeing how the team sees to be favoring Annexstad even after Tanners good performance last year its an interesting question.

Will one of the QB's transfer out after the year?

This tweet by Autman-bell makes it look like the WR's like to work with Annexstad... Just a thought from a gopher fan who is craving some football

https://twitter.com/withoutsept/status/1144015373160931335

Side note - I have no insider knowledge only speculation

I believe I remember seeing a post from someone plugged in saying that it wouldn't surprise them if a Gopher QB transferred after this year. After seeing how the team sees to be favoring Annexstad even after Tanners good performance last year its an interesting question.

This tweet by Autman-bell makes it look like the WR's like to work with Annexstad... Just a thought from a gopher fan who is craving some football

I wouldn't take anything from this picture (for all you know, TM is taking the photo). ZA is far more active on social media where TM strikes me as more of an "away from the spotlight" kind of guy. As far as a transfer out, I don't really see it with either of these guys given what they've said thus far and how much they like PJ. But I guess you never know

I am not sure who will transfer out but more are coming in than those leaving so there will be some surprises to get under the 85 scholarships

Morgan was taking the picture...

If it’s anyone other than TM2 on opening day...and the offense sputters in the Big Ten PJ will look like a fool. I’m not predicting that scenario but it’s a risk. Maybe ZA5 takes off and we all forget about the other guy.

I’d be shocked if Morgan didn’t transfer out even if it’s down a level. He clearly loves to be out there and he’s proven to be a competent QB. Getting spurned twice is enough motivation to seek greener pastures.

These kids aren't 5 stars with huge egos fed by a silver spoon. I'd be a bit surprised if either transferred after this year. They would almost certainly have to go to lower level team and even then it would still be tough to walk into a starting position.

Both Tanner and Zach are huge “Row the Boat” guys. I’m surprised they haven’t gotten tatoos , like Bateman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully won’t come to that. ZA is probably less likely to jump ship at this point.

Tanner Morgan had the 2nd best QB season in school history and did so as a freshman. I’m not sure what’s so difficult about this.

Tanner Morgan had the 2nd best QB season in school history and did so as a freshman. I’m not sure what’s so difficult about this.

I’m with you. I think Morgan clearly earned the spot last year. They may still go into fall camp with the position up in the air to promote the competition, but I’d be shocked if the job wasn’t Tanner’s to lose.

Regardless, I think we are in good shape either way, but Tanner’s my guy opening day unless he falls on his face in practice.

I would like it to be Morgan. From what I saw Morgan is a better player the Annexstad.

Morgan carried himself like a natural leader on the field (the “it” factor), while Zach looked like deer in the headlights most of the time.

Heavy sigh. Wow. Dumb. A brain should be used. Take her out of neutral.

Both are going to play a bunch this year, maybe one starts to look better who knows.

ZA was a true freshman and it showed. He had his moments (the scramble pass to TJ), but needs improvement especially in mobility. He may have some more natural talent running the offense, but it needs refinement. Quicker decisions to throw the ball (if it's there), or keep it. I think he could be better at running the ball when needed if he made the decision a bit earlier. TM shows more experience with the offense, an thus is quicker to determine when "I need to run the ball", giving him some more time and breathing room.

I will be happy with either as QB1, but I lean TM mainly because I think ZA could really benefit from a full redshirt year.

I will be happy with either as QB1, but I lean TM mainly because I think ZA could really benefit from a full redshirt year.

With Clark and then the Elite Greek coming in (yes, I know Athan isn't signed), if ZA redshirts, does he ever play again?

Pretty pointless to speculate on one of them transferring at this point since we have no clue how the QB situation is going to shake out in the fall. Depending on how it all plays out it wouldn't be shocking to see one of them explore their options after the season if it looks like the other is going to be the guy going forward but as others mentioned both seem very committed to the culture of the program so I could also see them both sticking it out regardless of who ends up being QB1.

At this point we know we have 2 solid options heading into 2019, the rest will work itself out over time.

The wild card in all this is Clark, probably not for 2019 but certainly down the road. And I wouldn't sleep on Kramer, either. The kid is a winner.

These kids aren't 5 stars with huge egos fed by a silver spoon. I'd be a bit surprised if either transferred after this year. They would almost certainly have to go to lower level team and even then it would still be tough to walk into a starting position.

Would you consider Foreman, Shortell, Nelson, Streveler, Rhoden-Mckinzy, Perra, Croft or Viramontes to have huge egos fed by a silver spoon? In this day and age, QB's transfer all the time if they aren't starting and the gophers are no exception.

Do we really live in a world where we have to assume that a qb will transfer if they are not the starter? Maybe Zach or Tanner are ok with being the backup and biding their time until the other one struggles or injury necessitates them playing. Maybe they like playing for PJ, like the University of Minnesota. Let's just assume they'll stick around until we hear otherwise.

Do we really live in a world where we have to assume that a qb will transfer if they are not the starter? Maybe Zach or Tanner are ok with being the backup and biding their time until the other one struggles or injury necessitates them playing. Maybe they like playing for PJ, like the University of Minnesota. Let's just assume they'll stick around until we hear otherwise.

We are getting closer and closer to that reality every year as QBs are transferring much more often then they used to in the past. Obviously we all hope that ZA and TM stick it out for their whole careers here but won't be shocking if one of them moves on at some point. Just the reality of college football these days and why it is vital to keep bringing in quality guys at the QB position every year.

We'll see QB's transfer, it's nature, I'm not going to stress over it

I'm just happy we have depth at QB position and already promising prospects for replacement

Would you consider Foreman, Shortell, Nelson, Streveler, Rhoden-Mckinzy, Perra, Croft or Viramontes to have huge egos fed by a silver spoon? In this day and age, QB's transfer all the time if they aren't starting and the gophers are no exception.

Nelson and Croft left for other reasons. Five of those mentioned probably realized they weren’t good enough to ever play. I mean DRM and Perra were walkons.

Last edited:

It's more likely, and more visible these days, but far from certain.

Last year we were up in arms over Vic transferring out and only having 2 freshmen QBs on the roster that had never played.

Fast forward one year and now the belief is we have too much talent at QB and someone is going to leave.

Last year we were up in arms over Vic transferring out and only having 2 freshmen QBs on the roster that had never played.

Fast forward one year and now the belief is we have too much talent at QB and someone is going to leave.

Well in this day and age 2 is "too much" ;)

Top Bottom