Outlook of Gopher QB Position

Don't have the energy to look it all up again but I did it once before. His stats put him as pretty much an average big ten quarterback. Not spectacular but not as bad as a lot of people like to make it out to be.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Correct.

If QBs aren’t elite they just aren’t going to be remembered in glowing terms. As noted Mitch was a warrior and literally carried the team to victory at times (eg Nebraska) but was prone to bad games at times (Wisconsin every year) and he wasn’t the most accurate guy in the world. It’s pretty incredible what he did on a bad foot...and his coaches didn’t always help him out with *plenty*of tough to convert third and longs and maybe a scheme and WR corps that made things tougher than they had to be...

Mitch was never a great passer. That is a simple fact.

But he had the heart of a lion, and if you like your QB to produce TDs and wins for you, he was pretty good. In fact, I believe he holds the Gopher records for (combined) TDs and for wins as a starter.

So... there's that.

Its like Joe Namath. 50.1% passer, no running ability whatsoever, threw 50 more INTs than TDs. But he won a Super Bowl. HOFer for no reason than that.

IMO the weakest link on offense is the unknown at tackle and the backup players on the line. QBs should be incrementally better.

Then, lots of room to improve on defense. Place kicker?

So many variables, all important to wins vs losses. If we’re counting on the offense going for 500+ yards per game on the back of a passer that’s probably a bad bet IMO. Brutally efficient runs and dink and dunk pass game with occasional shots downfield, Seth Green on short yardage. Minimize turnovers. Eat clock. Play great defense. Field position. Find a place kicker. Go to Indianapolis.

Yes to the bolded. Efficiency, accuracy and consistency is the key, with a proven ability to connect on an occasional deep ball to keep the defense honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Do you think that your head coach will pick a starter, watch him, grade him out in the first 3 games and switch to the 2nd in line if he doesn't grade out or will he try the top 2 in the first 3 games and decide from their?

Its like Joe Namath. 50.1% passer, no running ability whatsoever, threw 50 more INTs than TDs. But he won a Super Bowl. HOFer for no reason than that.

the game was different in that era. Fran Tarkenton 57% completion. 342 TD, 266 INT. Johnny Unitas 54.6% completion. 290 TD, 253 INT.

Namath was a gambler, but he could make throws that almost no other QB could make. he was the real deal.

Do you think that your head coach will pick a starter, watch him, grade him out in the first 3 games and switch to the 2nd in line if he doesn't grade out or will he try the top 2 in the first 3 games and decide from their?

He’s more likely to pick one, and stick with them for a long time, even if they struggle. That’s what happened last year, anyway. He does not have a quick hook.

Last edited:

I’ve been paying attention to some of the social media accounts lately. It appears as though ZA and Bateman hang out together all the time. Faalele and Dunlap are frequently part of the group as well. Morgan probably keeps to himself more. This might come into play when Fleck makes the decision.

Also...ZA seems confident that the job is his, based on his postings.

I’ve been paying attention to some of the social media accounts lately. It appears as though ZA and Bateman hang out together all the time. Faalele and Dunlap are frequently part of the group as well. Morgan probably keeps to himself more. This might come into play when Fleck makes the decision.

Also...ZA seems confident that the job is his, based on his postings.

I’m not sure this is true or significant even if it was.

I’m not sure this is true or significant even if it was.

Seems to be the case lately, at least. Maybe it won’t be a factor. It’s just something I’ve noticed over the past week or so.

the game was different in that era. Fran Tarkenton 57% completion. 342 TD, 266 INT. Johnny Unitas 54.6% completion. 290 TD, 253 INT.

Namath was a gambler, but he could make throws that almost no other QB could make. he was the real deal.
DBs could mug receivers back then too. And the QB could be hit.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

M

Ahhhh.... so Mitch is like Namath? Except he’s not a Hall of Famer. Or Super Bowl winner. Or even an NFL QB. And he was on marginal college teams.

I’m failing to understand the analogy.

Top Bottom