New Lobo hoops assistant Dan McHale brings years of experience

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Albuquerque Journal:

Dan McHale is 39.

In coaching years, by his estimation, he’s at least a decade older.

That’s because the newest member of the UNM Lobos coaching staff, hired last week by Paul Weir to fill the vacant assistant role, has already logged 18 years in the business, including three as a head coach and most of the rest in two of the game’s top conferences (Big East and Big Ten) learning under the tutelage of some of the more respected coaching minds in college basketball.

McHale worked twice as a staff member under Pitino at Louisville, spent six years as a top assistant at Iona and Seton Hall under Kevin Willard, a former top Pitino assistant, and coached for two seasons at Minnesota under Richard Pitino, Rick’s son, before elevating to a head coaching candidate. He landed the EKU job in 2015 at the age of 35.

While defense, and the press in particular, are considered strengths of McHale’s coaching pedigree, he credits all the staffs he’s been on through the years with having made him a well-rounded, versatile asset for the Lobos.

“I’m 39, but I feel like I’m 49 (in basketball years),” McHale said, “because sitting in a conference room at a young age when it was Mick Cronin on one side, Rick Pitino on the other side and Kevin Willard on this side and Marvin Menzies over here, I’ve been around a lot of different guys and I’ve picked some things up from a lot of guys.”

https://www.abqjournal.com/1333078/...-years-of-experience-to-his-new-position.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom