Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    I don't think Illinois has much of a chance. But the gap between them and the best team in the division is the narrowest of the P5 divisions, I think. Maybe the Pac 12 South?
    We all know that to be West division champion that we probably need to go undefeated in division games. Since itís inception, the winner of the West has been undefeated with exception of Bucky who lost a game to a 4-7 NW. Otherwise the West division champions have been 29 -1 in the division. Who cares about crossover games? I donít.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    If itís not a spread offense then what is it...? This seems like one of those topics where the terminology gets mucked up and everyone has their own definitions for the same thing or similar things.
    Fact

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    The U needs to be an under-center offense. That’s how you best emphasize the run, which is what we need to be.

Shotgun is for chuck-n-duck. Bleh
    Tell that to:
    Memphis, Clemson, and Oklahoma who are all top 15 in total rush yards and top 3 in yards per rush last year.

All out of the spread

Other teams in the top 30 of both rush yards and yards per attempt who run the spread:
    Illinois
    UCF
    App State
    Maryland
    Mississippi state
    Nebraska
    Texas A&M
    Toledo
    Penn State
    FAU
    Cincinnati
    Houston
    Florida

I am not sure about Louisiana and UNLV because I don’t think I’ve watched them play in the past year.

For your own personal information...in 2018-19 college football. 24 teams were top 30 in both rush yards and in yards per carry. At least 16 of those 24 are spread teams.
    Last edited by Some guy; 07-03-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    Tell that to:
    Memphis, Clemson, and Oklahoma who are all top 15 in total rush yards and top 3 in yards per rush last year.

All out of the spread

Other teams in the top 30 of both rush yards and yards per attempt who run the spread:
    Illinois
    UCF
    App State
    Maryland
    Mississippi state
    Nebraska
    Texas A&M
    Toledo
    Penn State
    FAU
    Cincinnati
    Houston
    Florida

I am not sure about Louisiana and UNLV because I donít think Iíve watched them play in the past year.

For your own personal information...in 2018-19 college football. 24 teams were top 30 in both rush yards and in yards per carry. At least 16 of those 24 are spread teams.
    It really depends on how you are trying to run. Spread offenses do it by opening up the middle of the field to give their running backs free lanes to run downhill. Under center is usually more of a power scheme, where you force holes open for a running back coming downfield. Both can be very effective, but you need to match the scheme to your personnel.

I think it's likely we run a combination of under center and spread formations as we have players who can take advantage of both.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFueledFF View Post
    It really depends on how you are trying to run. Spread offenses do it by opening up the middle of the field to give their running backs free lanes to run downhill. Under center is usually more of a power scheme, where you force holes open for a running back coming downfield. Both can be very effective, but you need to match the scheme to your personnel.

I think it's likely we run a combination of under center and spread formations as we have players who can take advantage of both.
    Some of the best power run games in the country are spread teams.
    Auburn, Florida, Mississippi state
    Even Alabama has gone towards spread

Some of the best power run games in the country are spread teams.
    Auburn, Florida, Mississippi state
    Even Alabama has gone towards spread
    I wasn't saying that spread has to be a spacing run formation, just that it is commonly done that way. You can technically run any run blocking scheme in any formation if you want, you just need to have the players to execute it.

The U needs to be an under-center offense. Thatís how you best emphasize the run, which is what we need to be.

Shotgun is for chuck-n-duck. Bleh
    The 20th century called and wants its playbook back.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFueledFF View Post
    I wasn't saying that spread has to be a spacing run formation, just that it is commonly done that way. You can technically run any run blocking scheme in any formation if you want, you just need to have the players to execute it.
    Hey thanks for agreeing with my argument that non spread systems are not necessary better for running the football than spread systems

Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    The 20th century called and wants its playbook back.
    Right? I love our offense.

RPO! With a pinch of wildcat...

Can't wait for the season!

Tell that to:

All out of the spread

Illinois
    UCF
    App State
    Maryland
    Mississippi state
    Nebraska
    Texas A&M
    Toledo
    Penn State
    FAU
    Cincinnati
    Houston
    Florida

I am not sure about Louisiana and UNLV because I donít think Iíve watched them play in the past year.

Some guy wants us to be Illinois. Got it

Spread is such a slam dunk scheme, thatís why all the NFL teams run a spread. Got it

Spread is such a slam dunk scheme, that’s why all the NFL teams run a spread. Got it
    Pivot.

Spread is such a slam dunk scheme, thatís why all the NFL teams run a spread. Got it
    I think the spread is pretty much the direction the NFL is headed which is why the last two #1 overall picks came from a spread offense. Really canít say I care what we run as long as we win games.

Spread is such a slam dunk scheme, that’s why all the NFL teams run a spread. Got it
    Lol

I think what we are doing is okay.
    I’d rather be Oklahoma, Clemson, Texas A&M than Illinois.

I don’t really care what system we run as long as it allows us to run and pass the ball effectively. I would be totally against a triple option system because it wouldn’t allow us to do both things in most cases. But between a pro style and spread, I am fine with either because you can use either to run or pass the ball successfully.
    Last edited by Some guy; 07-04-2019 at 11:53 AM.