Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 4 reasons the Big Ten West could be deeply entertaining in 2019

per Boyd:

The West is especially different than it was just a few years ago, now that spread advocates Frost, Jeff Brohm, and P.J. Fleck are around.
    Purdue has some punching power that hasnít been seen since Drew Brees was in West Lafayette.

The Boilermakers have arguably the best player in the division (conference? country?) in WR Rondale Moore, who had 135 total touches for 1,471 yards and 14 TDs last season as a true freshman. Brohm brought a lot of clever tactics, but with Moore on the field, things can be pretty simple and still work out just great.

Fleckís Minnesota quietly put something together over the course of 2018. Fleck hit the jackpot when Minnesota native and IMG attendee Zach Annexstad passed up scholarship offers from G5 programs to not only walk on and play QB for the Gophers, but to recruit two of his blue-chip teammates from IMG to do the same. Those two OL, Daniel Faalele (6-9, 400) and Curtis Dunlap (6-5, 350), give Minnesota the biggest right side in college football.

Behind those behemoths and a TE, Fleck will find it easy to build his RPO schemes that force teams to defend a downhill run. Just outside, star slot WR Tyler Johnson runs a quick route that Annexstad can hit if the secondary crashes to help the beleaguered front.

The overall firepower across the West is considerably increased by the additions of spread offensive coaches like Fleck, Brohm, and Frost.

Wisconsinís ability to run the division with a ground-and-pound offense and top defense will be seriously tested this year, now that UWís opponents wonít all just try to line up and outmuscle the Badgers.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-ten-west-2019

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per Boyd:

The West is especially different than it was just a few years ago, now that spread advocates Frost, Jeff Brohm, and P.J. Fleck are around.
    Purdue has some punching power that hasn’t been seen since Drew Brees was in West Lafayette.

The Boilermakers have arguably the best player in the division (conference? country?) in WR Rondale Moore, who had 135 total touches for 1,471 yards and 14 TDs last season as a true freshman. Brohm brought a lot of clever tactics, but with Moore on the field, things can be pretty simple and still work out just great.

Fleck’s Minnesota quietly put something together over the course of 2018. Fleck hit the jackpot when Minnesota native and IMG attendee Zach Annexstad passed up scholarship offers from G5 programs to not only walk on and play QB for the Gophers, but to recruit two of his blue-chip teammates from IMG to do the same. Those two OL, Daniel Faalele (6-9, 400) and Curtis Dunlap (6-5, 350), give Minnesota the biggest right side in college football.

Behind those behemoths and a TE, Fleck will find it easy to build his RPO schemes that force teams to defend a downhill run. Just outside, star slot WR Tyler Johnson runs a quick route that Annexstad can hit if the secondary crashes to help the beleaguered front.

The overall firepower across the West is considerably increased by the additions of spread offensive coaches like Fleck, Brohm, and Frost.

Wisconsin’s ability to run the division with a ground-and-pound offense and top defense will be seriously tested this year, now that UW’s opponents won’t all just try to line up and outmuscle the Badgers.

Go Gophers!!
    Pretty sure Zach had at least one P5 offer too. Pitt?

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per Boyd:

Purdue has some punching power that hasn’t been seen since Drew Brees was in West Lafayette.

Fleck’s Minnesota quietly put something together over the course of 2018. Fleck hit the jackpot when Minnesota native and IMG attendee Zach Annexstad passed up scholarship offers from G5 programs to not only walk on and play QB for the Gophers, but to recruit two of his blue-chip teammates from IMG to do the same. Those two OL, Daniel Faalele (6-9, 400) and Curtis Dunlap (6-5, 350), give Minnesota the biggest right side in college football.

Wisconsin’s ability to run the division with a ground-and-pound offense and top defense will be seriously tested this year, now that UW’s opponents won’t all just try to line up and outmuscle the Badgers.

Go Gophers!!

BLEESDGOPHER - The overall firepower across the West is considerably increased by the additions of spread offensive coaches like Fleck, Brohm, and Frost.
    Wisconsin’s abil[/SIZE]ity to run the division with a ground-and-pound offense and top defense will be seriously tested this year, now that UW’s opponents won’t all just try to line up and outmuscle the Badgers.

There were a lot of things sad about Nebraska over the last few years.
    I'm specifically talking about their DEFENSE. In the past you really had to be something to EARN your defensive Black Shirt. It seems under the last few Nebraska coaches, prior to Frost, you could earn one by just being a senior or a few good plays. My Wife got her undergrad from Nebraska. So we watch and pull for them.

FACTOID - Did you know that when Nebraska first started their football program in the late 1800's the called themselves -
    "The BUG EATERS"?
    Last edited by GSUsTALON; 06-27-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    Pretty sure Zach had at least one P5 offer too. Pitt?
    He had Iowa, Illinois and Pitt I believe.

Is PJ really a spread advocate?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post

Spread is definitely an overused term when people analyze offense as almost everyone uses “spread” formations including pro-style offenses.

I’d consider Minnesota a spread. But it is a different kind of spread than Nebraska or Oregon. And those two are a different kind than Auburn. Etc

IMO the Big Ten West is the most entertaining division in CFB in 2019. It's not the best, and the winner likely won't make the playoff, but I think it's got the best recipe for mayhem and potentially a surprise champ. 6 teams have a fair shot and even Illinois winning it wouldn't be beyond conception.

I don’t consider 3WR base formation a spread, but that’s me.

To me spread is 10 and 00 personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    IMO the Big Ten West is the most entertaining division in CFB in 2019. It's not the best, and the winner likely won't make the playoff, but I think it's got the best recipe for mayhem and potentially a surprise champ. 6 teams have a fair shot and even Illinois winning it wouldn't be beyond conception.
    I was totally with you..... until that IL comment at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    I was totally with you..... until that IL comment at the end.
    I don't think Illinois has much of a chance. But the gap between them and the best team in the division is the narrowest of the P5 divisions, I think. Maybe the Pac 12 South?

No, his version of RPO uses some spread sets, but not often.

No but people just assume that if you take snaps out of shotgun now, it's automatically a spread offense.

If it’s not a spread offense then what is it...? This seems like one of those topics where the terminology gets mucked up and everyone has their own definitions for the same thing or similar things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    If it’s not a spread offense then what is it...? This seems like one of those topics where the terminology gets mucked up and everyone has their own definitions for the same thing or similar things.

Pistol

The U needs to be an under-center offense. That’s how you best emphasize the run, which is what we need to be.

Shotgun is for chuck-n-duck. Bleh