ESPN: Oklahoma State hires brother of No. 2 prospect

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Oklahoma State made a significant move in the basketball recruiting world on Tuesday, hiring the older brother of No. 2-ranked rising senior Cade Cunningham as its new assistant coach.

Cannen Cunningham, 26, played at SMU from 2011-15, and spent last season at Tulane as the associate director of video operations under Mike Dunleavy Sr.

"I am thrilled to be able to add Cannen to our staff," Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton said. "I have gotten to know Cannen really well over the last year or so as I have watched his development as a coach. He has a great knack for player development and has a relatability with players that will be a tremendous asset to the continual growth of our program. Cannen has strong knowledge of basketball as he has learned from a couple of our game's best teachers. I look forward to the energy and relationships that he can bring to elevate our program to the next level."

Cunningham also spent time on the coaching staffs of the Drive Nation and Texas Titans grassroots programs.

Cade Cunningham, a 6-foot-7 point guard from Texas who plays at Montverde Academy (Florida), is one of the best high school prospects in the country. He rose to No. 2 in the most recent ESPN 100 rankings after a stellar spring. Playing for the Texas Titans on the Nike EYBL circuit, Cunningham averaged 25.1 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5.2 assists through 12 games.

As speculation grew over the past month about Oklahoma State potentially hiring his brother, various industry sources began considering the Cowboys as the favorites to land Cunningham's commitment for the 2020-21 season.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...09/oklahoma-state-hires-brother-no-2-prospect

Go Gophers!!

It would be hilarious to see the player choose another school! I wonder how long his brother would keep his coaching job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quite the leap from video guy at Tulane

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Do any of the top recruits have brothers who the Gophers could hire? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

T Boone Pickins is 91 years old. How many years does he have left??

He has sunk literally nine figures of personal wealth into the athletic dept at Okla State (plus whatever other gifts, and fundraising he’s done).

They’re never going to win the natty in college football. 2011 was their year, and they blew it in Ames in 2OT. If they had CFP back then who knows, but it was only top 2 back then. They ended up #3.

So by hook or by crook, they’re going to sell out to try to win one in some major sport before he kicks the can.

He has a great knack for player development and has a relatability with players that will be a tremendous asset to the continual growth of our program.

Can't argue with that.

"I am thrilled to be able to add Cannen to our staff," Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton said. "I have gotten to know Cannen really well over the last year or so as I have watched his development as a coach. He has a great knack for player development and has a relatability with players that will be a tremendous asset to the continual growth of our program. Cannen has strong knowledge of basketball as he has learned from a couple of our game's best teachers. I look forward to the energy and relationships that he can bring to elevate our program to the next level."

So he has been keep close tabs on a associate video director at Tulane huh.....yep that totally seems totally believable. Would have more respect for him if he would just tell it like it is, they hired the older brother get get the younger brother. This crap goes on in Basketball all the time, you can bet that if younger brother goes somewhere else that older brothers coaching career at OK State will be really short.

So he has been keep close tabs on a associate video director at Tulane huh.....yep that totally seems totally believable. Would have more respect for him if he would just tell it like it is, they hired the older brother get get the younger brother. This crap goes on in Basketball all the time, you can bet that if younger brother goes somewhere else that older brothers coaching career at OK State will be really short.

Yep. Even if the kid goes to Okie State, as soon as he leaves, magically the brother will almost certainly depart for a "better opportunity." Welcome to the wonderful world of big-time college hoops! ;)

Yep. Even if the kid goes to Okie State, as soon as he leaves, magically the brother will almost certainly depart for a "better opportunity." Welcome to the wonderful world of big-time college hoops! ;)

It is the easiest way to legally pay a recruit. You pay older brother a 6 figure salary to do a job he doesn't deserve knowing a big portion of that money will find its way to the younger brother and family in general.

Can't get in trouble for breaking any rules and all you are out is one assistant coaching slot for a few years. More power too them for using the system even if this practice is shady as hell.

It is the easiest way to legally pay a recruit. You pay older brother a 6 figure salary to do a job he doesn't deserve knowing a big portion of that money will find its way to the younger brother and family in general.

Can't get in trouble for breaking any rules and all you are out is one assistant coaching slot for a few years. More power too them for using the system even if this practice is shady as hell.

Just have to decide how you want to conduct your business.

Georgia still has the crown in these deals. To help in getting Herschel Walker to come to the dogs, they gave his older sister a full scholarship to their woman's track program, even though at the time they didn't have a woman's track program. She became the one and only person on their woman's track team, and the next year Herschel went to Georgia.

It's not illegal, so what's the problem?

All comes down to ethics and morals. If I was a coach in the cut throat world of college athletics I would probably be very tempted to do the same thing if I thought it would land me a top recruit.

You are right it isn't illegal but paying someone a 6 figure salary that hasn't earned it, simply to get his younger brother to play for you is really shady. it is also unfair to the hard working assistants out there trying to make it that jobs are going to family members of recruits as a way of filtering money to the player without getting in trouble. Just one of the many ways money is changing hands in the world of big time college basketball.

This kind of stuff goes on in basketball all the way down to the AAU circuit. Basketball is kind of unique in the way that one player can drastically change a team and make them into a legit contender overnight.

It's not illegal, so what's the problem?

Never said it was illegal. In fact, if it is the very best assistant you can get then i have no problem. However, i believe hiring the very best coach you can get and he or she hiring the very best staff is critical to success. Tons of coaches would never do it thinking of it as short sighted and leaving out perhaps hundreds of more qualified candidates. Again, in this case it may be the best they could do and he may be great long term.

Georgia still has the crown in these deals. To help in getting Herschel Walker to come to the dogs, they gave his older sister a full scholarship to their woman's track program, even though at the time they didn't have a woman's track program. She became the one and only person on their woman's track team, and the next year Herschel went to Georgia.

Wow.

per ESPN:

Oklahoma State made a significant move in the basketball recruiting world on Tuesday, hiring the older brother of No. 2-ranked rising senior Cade Cunningham as its new assistant coach.

Cannen Cunningham, 26, played at SMU from 2011-15, and spent last season at Tulane as the associate director of video operations under Mike Dunleavy Sr.

"I am thrilled to be able to add Cannen to our staff," Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton said. "I have gotten to know Cannen really well over the last year or so as I have watched his development as a coach. He has a great knack for player development and has a relatability with recruits that will be a tremendous asset to the continual growth of our program. Cannen has strong knowledge of basketball as he has learned from a couple of our game's best teachers. I look forward to the energy and relationships that he can bring to elevate our program to the next level."

Cunningham also spent time on the coaching staffs of the Drive Nation and Texas Titans grassroots programs.

Cade Cunningham, a 6-foot-7 point guard from Texas who plays at Montverde Academy (Florida), is one of the best high school prospects in the country. He rose to No. 2 in the most recent ESPN 100 rankings after a stellar spring. Playing for the Texas Titans on the Nike EYBL circuit, Cunningham averaged 25.1 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5.2 assists through 12 games.

As speculation grew over the past month about Oklahoma State potentially hiring his brother, various industry sources began considering the Cowboys as the favorites to land Cunningham's commitment for the 2020-21 season.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...09/oklahoma-state-hires-brother-no-2-prospect

Go Gophers!!

FIFY

That is a major problem in today's society! Just because the legal system has not created a law banning some action does not mean it is right.

Don't agree with a lot of your posts, but you nailed that one.

Top Bottom