Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Federal judge tosses former football players' lawsuit against University of Minnesota

http://startribune.com/federal-judge...ota/511782292/

"U.S. District Judge Donovan Frank said the players offered “no factual support for their allegations of disparate treatment” they claimed were based on a “assumption” of a culture of sexual misconduct among male athletes at the U."
    Fleckster and on Spoofin's ignore list! ELITE

The U absolutely needs to retain the ability to suspend or expel any student that violates the student code of conduct, at its own discretion, using the minimum legal burden of proof for evidence.

The players were throwing up a Hail Mary in their accusations, hoping somehow that they could strip this ability away from the U by throwing out the race card.

I for one am glad the judge has struck this down.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy18 View Post
    http://startribune.com/federal-judge...ota/511782292/

"U.S. District Judge Donovan Frank said the players offered “no factual support for their allegations of disparate treatment” they claimed were based on a “assumption” of a culture of sexual misconduct among male athletes at the U."
    Donovan Frank is a racist judge...

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    Donovan Frank is a racist judge...
    He hates sports, too.

Rochelle, you are a terrible journalist.

Factual errors and omissions on my first read through:

She accused up to 20 of assault, not 12.
    The SMSS hearing did not allow presentation of the most important evidence of all - the videos.
    The hearing process did not allow each player their own time, rather lumping then together in a block format - a violation of their own procedure.

Take some time and learn about the pros and cons of the U’s process.

The lawsuit was a long shot from the beginning as short of hard evidence one cannot prove racism or discrimination and as far as the defamation too soon to gauge long term issues/damages. Besides, this wasn’t a racism issue - a dumb angle to take. Discrimination...probably but again hard to prove. Their best bet was probably to find the U didn’t follow their own procedure to the letter in terms of the appeal, panel makeup, etc. Plenty to take issue with....

Color me surprised, look who wrote this hit piece. She bends over backwards to not say that 5 of the accused were cleared by the system that is monumentally stacked against them. And then her throw-away last line should be a fireable offense.

Bottom line: if you value being a student at the University of Minnesota, do NOT jeopardize that by violating the student code of conduct.

No matter how anyone here tries to twist the truth, the students violated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Bottom line: if you value being a student at the University of Minnesota, do NOT jeopardize that by violating the student code of conduct.

No matter how anyone here tries to twist the truth, the students violated it.
    That’s not really the issue, is it? But I’m sure you know that.

I remember all the people on this board claiming that the U was going to be paying out millions of dollars to these players. It is funny how so many people assume that anytime someone files a lawsuit that the plaintiff will get millions of dollars. When the reality is, the vast majority of cases never reach near a million dollars or are thrown out of court, like this case.

Quote Originally Posted by GO4INLALALAND View Post
    I remember all the people on this board claiming that the U was going to be paying out millions of dollars to these players. It is funny how so many people assume that anytime someone files a lawsuit that the plaintiff will get millions of dollars. When the reality is, the vast majority of cases never reach near a million dollars or are thrown out of court, like this case.
    Nobody was saying that. It’s extremely hard to get something close to justice in these cases, just as it is with sexual assault or a myriad of other crimes and social ills.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Nobody was saying that. It’s extremely hard to get something close to justice in these cases, just as it is with sexual assault or a myriad of other crimes and social ills.
    OK.

Quote Originally Posted by GO4INLALALAND View Post
    I thought that some of these guys could get money. But not on a discrimination suit.
    I think some of them could have grounds for a case on a release of private data issue.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/2...sconduct-case/

Here is a much better article, written by someone without an obvious ax to grind and someone who evidently still cares about journalistic integrity

Yes - plenty of people are this board were saying that.

The U did get justice. The players didn't have a case.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CurveballJesus View Post
    Color me surprised, look who wrote this hit piece. She bends over backwards to not say that 5 of the accused were cleared by the system that is monumentally stacked against them. And then her throw-away last line should be a fireable offense.
    "Two of the players remain with the team"? Antoine Winfield and Seth Green, correct?

Or are you talking the final paragraph:

The players have claimed the woman initiated the sexual encounters involving five Gophers players and an underage recruit. That differs dramatically from the graphic investigative report that was leaked to the media. That report extensively describes numerous men taking turns assaulting the woman as others cheered and watched.
    Which is accurate. The report did say that and it does differ dramatically from the players' version. Which was part of the point of the lawsuit.

The lawsuit was a long shot from the beginning as short of hard evidence one cannot prove racism or discrimination and as far as the defamation too soon to gauge long term issues/damages. Besides, this wasn’t a racism issue - a dumb angle to take. Discrimination...probably but again hard to prove. Their best bet was probably to find the U didn’t follow their own procedure to the letter in terms of the appeal, panel makeup, etc. Plenty to take issue with....
    Agree 100% with the bolded statement. They had no chance of winning any other way. The problem is, if they found the U didn't follow their procedure, I'm willing to bet they would have only made the U retry ensuring the procedure is followed, and nobody wanted that. I doubt they ever would have gotten a payout on that basis.
    Last edited by Lakeville Goldy; 06-25-2019 at 12:08 PM.