Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 64
  1. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    Not directed at you, just piggybacking on your post.

    I say "get excited". Those saying not to get excited, are akin to someone saying not to get excited after we win a game because, it's just one game & we haven't won the championship yet. Who wants to live like that?

    So again, I say "get excited". It may not be a football game we just won, but we did just win a recruiting game & the teams we beat are something to be proud of.
    Honestly the only thing to really avoid in regards to recruiting is projecting what a recruit will do in college before they even sign or set foot on campus. I remember Phillip Nelson being anointed the savior at QB by a lot of fans even before he took his first college snap.


  2. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    12,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Is Happiness OK?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

  3. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    With all due respect - you say the Gophers "won a recruiting game." I would say they have a promise to win. The win happens when the recruit - any recruit - signs a letter of intent and again when they set foot on campus.

    Yes, you can view it as a positive that the Gophers are in the conversation for good players. And, the majority of kids who make verbals do eventually sign a LOI. But, a verbal commitment is like a promise. a few weeks ago, there were several de-commits in a short period of time, and a fair amount of angst was being expressed. So, there may be an 80% or even 90% chance this latest recruit becomes a Gopher. But, until he signs, it's not final. Recruiting is a lot more cut-throat these days - other teams are not going to stop recruiting this kid just because he made a verbal. We'll find out how committed he is on signing day.
    Kewl

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    31,322
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    Let's wait and see if he signs.
    After he signs, we have to see if he plays.
    If he plays, we have to see if he stays eligible.
    Maybe you should just stay away from recruiting threads and stick to post game analysis threads.
    Kingdom Warriors

  5. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    Lighten up, enjoy the moment.
    Agree. Recruiting is fun and kind of like buying a lottery ticket. Dream a little. I think it is nice to see some potential quality depth in the future.

    Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

  6. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    With all due respect - you say the Gophers "won a recruiting game." I would say they have a promise to win. The win happens when the recruit - any recruit - signs a letter of intent and again when they set foot on campus.

    Yes, you can view it as a positive that the Gophers are in the conversation for good players. And, the majority of kids who make verbals do eventually sign a LOI. But, a verbal commitment is like a promise. a few weeks ago, there were several de-commits in a short period of time, and a fair amount of angst was being expressed. So, there may be an 80% or even 90% chance this latest recruit becomes a Gopher. But, until he signs, it's not final. Recruiting is a lot more cut-throat these days - other teams are not going to stop recruiting this kid just because he made a verbal. We'll find out how committed he is on signing day.
    There are kids that would verbally commit because they are given a drop dead commit or bust date from the coaching staff, knowing that the U of M (or any school, we aren't unique) is a fall back position, if they never get a better offer they honored their verbal commitment, doesn't mean they weren't shopping right up until letter of intent day.

  7. #52

    Default

    This is awesome news to wake up to!
    Who hates iowa?

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New River, AZ
    Posts
    5,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Preemptive "cooling" ???
    FTF is the a-hole supreme. If you ignore list her, she goes away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    But you shouldn't get excited about winning championships either, because it's possible that some day it could get vacated. Also, you shouldn't be happy for people when they get married, because some day they could get divorced. Basically, just don't allow yourself to feel joy.
    Its the real "Minnesota Nice," which is "Minnesota Passive-Aggressive" with splash of self-loathing thrown in.

    Welcome aboard, Itayvion Brown. You will have a wonderful career here and I will enjoy every minute!
    Last edited by highwayman; 06-26-2019 at 06:26 AM.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    7,441

    Default

    OK - to make my point in a much blunter fashion.

    Recruit X gives verbal commitment to gophers. Gopher fans celebrate.

    If Recruit X later de-commits, those same fans will claim that it's not a big deal, or the Gophers changed their mind, or there was some problem with the recruit. That's what gets me. the reactions are not proportional.

    Again - I hope this guy is a great player for the Gophers. I really do. but - I just happen to believe that he is NOT a player for the gophers until he steps on the field wearing a Gopher uniform. Part of it is just my nature. if you say there is an 85% chance of something happening, I will say there is a 15% chance it doesn't happen. I really don't know why - that's just how I am. If you think that doesn't sound like a fun outlook on life, I would agree with you. but that's who I am.

  10. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post

    Recruit X gives verbal commitment to gophers. Gopher fans celebrate.

    If Recruit X later de-commits, those same fans will claim that it's not a big deal, or the Gophers changed their mind, or there was some problem with the recruit. That's what gets me. the reactions are not proportional.
    What possible reason would there be to insist that the reactions are proportional? Why would you want the lows to be lower or the highs to be more muted? That doesn't sound like much fun, and the exact opposite of what a typical person would wish for.

    But godspeed if that's how you want to roll.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Anoka County via the Iron Range
    Posts
    2,052
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    OK - to make my point in a much blunter fashion.

    Recruit X gives verbal commitment to gophers. Gopher fans celebrate.

    If Recruit X later de-commits, those same fans will claim that it's not a big deal, or the Gophers changed their mind, or there was some problem with the recruit. That's what gets me. the reactions are not proportional.

    Again - I hope this guy is a great player for the Gophers. I really do. but - I just happen to believe that he is NOT a player for the gophers until he steps on the field wearing a Gopher uniform. Part of it is just my nature. if you say there is an 85% chance of something happening, I will say there is a 15% chance it doesn't happen. I really don't know why - that's just how I am. If you think that doesn't sound like a fun outlook on life, I would agree with you. but that's who I am.
    Could be psychologically based to help soften the blow of disappointment....I'm sure there is some element of this.
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

  12. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    OK - to make my point in a much blunter fashion.

    Recruit X gives verbal commitment to gophers. Gopher fans celebrate.

    If Recruit X later de-commits, those same fans will claim that it's not a big deal, or the Gophers changed their mind, or there was some problem with the recruit. That's what gets me. the reactions are not proportional.

    Again - I hope this guy is a great player for the Gophers. I really do. but - I just happen to believe that he is NOT a player for the gophers until he steps on the field wearing a Gopher uniform. Part of it is just my nature. if you say there is an 85% chance of something happening, I will say there is a 15% chance it doesn't happen. I really don't know why - that's just how I am. If you think that doesn't sound like a fun outlook on life, I would agree with you. but that's who I am.
    We're inclined to belive what we want to belive, even to the extent that we do it when it isn't in our best interests....

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    I'm glad I read this thread. It has been quite an education. I learned that verbal commitments are not binding. Wow. Who would have thought that? I haven't felt this disappointed since I lost all that money on air travel and lodging for the Rose Bowl back when Brewster said we'd be there.

    Now that I am properly educated, I am saddened by this commitment because this Brown character had the gall to commit to my favorite program in an era when players might go elsewhere. Can you imagine where this thread would have gone if there hadn't been a couple voices of reason to reign us back in? People would have been HAPPY without the slightest knowledge that in the future they might be saddened. That is the WORST kind of happy.

  14. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    Also had a Western Michigan offer. Jerry Kill lost those battles sometimes.
    Not sure about Western Michigan but certain many others. i.e Jesper Horsted, Roseville, MN HS grad 2015 - picked up by Da Bears. Wasn't even offered by Kill; what happen to those highly coveted WR kill recruited a few years ago?

  15. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    OK - to make my point in a much blunter fashion.

    Recruit X gives verbal commitment to gophers. Gopher fans celebrate.

    If Recruit X later de-commits, those same fans will claim that it's not a big deal, or the Gophers changed their mind, or there was some problem with the recruit. That's what gets me. the reactions are not proportional.

    Again - I hope this guy is a great player for the Gophers. I really do. but - I just happen to believe that he is NOT a player for the gophers until he steps on the field wearing a Gopher uniform. Part of it is just my nature. if you say there is an 85% chance of something happening, I will say there is a 15% chance it doesn't happen. I really don't know why - that's just how I am. If you think that doesn't sound like a fun outlook on life, I would agree with you. but that's who I am.
    Jeez SON...just be excited, live life. If they commit, be happy. If they de commit, it happens. Live life every day. I wouldn't say "we didnt need him" but if they leave, oh well. The last 2 years have shown me that we will find replacements somewhere!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •