Gopher Recruiting

mjfelton15

Banned
Reaction score
I’m curious, does anyone think the Gophers could land a 5-star recruit, or maybe a handful of 4-stars?

If so, when do you think we’ll break into that level of recruiting?

Also, I know it’s a long shot for this to happen, but does anyone think that if we have a solid season with good W’s against teams like Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa, if we could somehow dominate the season. Do you think we will land any late commits from a couple 5-stars?

Gophers have already landed a "handful of 4 stars" in each of the last 2 recuiting cycles. I think a 5 star would have to be a local kid that wants to be a Gopher. I think Seantrel was the last one? I still remember the Brew's chopper landing at one of his games...it was a good effort!

Being no local kid is a 5 star I would say no despite if they have a dominant season. String a couple of those together and it could happen.

It’s probable and I’d say guaranteed PJ will be able to sell blue chippers on going to MN in significant numbers but he has to have a track record of success in the Big Ten and at putting guys in the NFL. The tier we’re trying to break into: MSU, Iowa, Wisconsin (Nebraska probably fits as well despite recent struggles) seem to have had two or three 4 stars and sometimes more after their special seasons and streaks of wins happened. Pretty much every significant and consistent uptick in recruiting happens after a coach succeeds on the field, not before. Maybe there are some exceptions but I’m not aware of any that didn’t involve recruiting violations.

It’s probable and I’d say guaranteed PJ will be able to sell blue chippers on going to MN in significant numbers but he has to have a track record of success in the Big Ten and at putting guys in the NFL. The tier we’re trying to break into: MSU, Iowa, Wisconsin (Nebraska probably fits as well despite recent struggles) seem to have had two or three 4 stars and sometimes more after their special seasons and streaks of wins happened. Pretty much every significant and consistent uptick in recruiting happens after a coach succeeds on the field, not before. Maybe there are some exceptions but I’m not aware of any that didn’t involve recruiting violations.

Winning cures all. More importantly, if the Gophers get a reputation for player development the NFL will also start to notice.

<b>Gophers have already landed a "handful of 4 stars" in each of the last 2 recuiting cycles. </b>I think a 5 star would have to be a local kid that wants to be a Gopher. I think Seantrel was the last one? I still remember the Brew's chopper landing at one of his games...it was a good effort!

Being no local kid is a 5 star I would say no despite if they have a dominant season. String a couple of those together and it could happen.

Must we do this?
According to 247 composite we had 3 in 2018 and 0 in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to become Captain Obvious here:

If we win, who cares how many 4 and 5 star athletes we recruit?

As long as we win, I don't care if we do it with walk-ons. The final goal is what's important.

Not just put kids into the NFL but have those kids succeed in the league and make names for themselves. The Hawkeyes and Badgers both have been doing that for awhile now. If we want to get to their level that's a big part of it.

Winning the West for starters, would help. Most of our recent four star guys from out of state were initially under the radar. Coughlin was close to being five star, him and Johnson have played like it. Win the west and consistently contend for it for the next few years and those recruiting rankings will creep out of the 40's and into the 25-35 range.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Must we do this?
According to 247 composite we had 3 in 2018 and 0 in 2019.

Looking at individual services

2018 had composite 4* with Faalele, Dunlap, Bateman. Plus Reigelsperger, Terell Smith, and Viramontes (lol) on ESPN

2019 Nubin was a 4 star on 247 and rivals. Clark on rivals. Cheney, Schad, and Adim-Madumere on ESPN.

2020 Thomas is a 4 star on 247

2018 had composite 4* with Faalele, Dunlap, Bateman. Plus Reigelsperger, Terell Smith, and Viramontes (lol) on ESPN

2019 Nubin was a 4 star on 247 and rivals. Clark on rivals. Cheney, Schad, and Adim-Madumere on ESPN.

So you’re basically taking the ratings for all players from the service that individually rates them best?

Isn’t that a bit like saying Harden is MVP if you ignore all the people that voted for Greek Freak?

Sure, and if I look at selected individual services for each player I could eliminate all of them too. Just as invalid as your analysis.

Look, I don’t care about ratings. They don’t matter. I was just pointing out that we most certainly have not had “a handful of 4-stars each of the past 2 years” as claimed.

I don’t get why everyone from our AD to our fans needs to exaggerate this topic - let the results speak for themselves. They started to last year and I think will continue to this year.

Chicken and Egg.

Does winning lead to better recruiting - or does better recruiting lead to winning?

I disagree that we’ve landed a handful of 4-stars. We’ve only had a few 4 stars since the beginning of the internet ranking system. But I do feel that if we land a 5 star it’ll be someone local.

Gophers have already landed a "handful of 4 stars" in each of the last 2 recuiting cycles. I think a 5 star would have to be a local kid that wants to be a Gopher. I think Seantrel was the last one? I still remember the Brew's chopper landing at one of his games...it was a good effort!

All I know is this:

1. We have a passing game and competent qb play for the first time in years.

2. Our wide receivers are as good as who knows when.

3. Our offensive line should be the best in years.

4. Our defensive line has not had a pass rush in decades.........I feel that is about to change.

5. Our linebacking should be good even after this year.

6. We just loaded up on the secondary and already have some dam good youth such as terrell smith.

Our recruiting is at an awesome level for the University of Minnesota. This team was a schit show when Fleck took over.

Last edited:

I didn’t intend to come off as though we NEED 4 and 5 star recruits. I just want to know if anyone thinks we’ll get to that point anytime soon. I feel like no Gopher fans would be complaining over us regularly grabbing 4-5 star players each recruiting class. I know walk ons make it pro occasionally. I know that average rated players can end up being way more than what they were ranked. But there is obviously a correlation between 4 and 5 star recruits, and being a national championship caliber team (AKA Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc). I think player rating can be misleading, but usually I feel they’re fairly accurate, at least when it comes to 4 and 5 star athletes.

Part of me wants to think the ratings don’t matter, players like Cashman (and a handful of players from the Kill recruiting classes) have proven it’s not a perfect system. But I don’t see any teams competing for the national championship, since the rating system has existed, that are comprised of mostly 3 stars and a couple 4 stars.

I agree completely

All I know is this:

1. We have a passing game and competent qb play for the first time in years.

2. Our wide receivers are as good as who knows when.

3. Our offensive line should be the best in years.

4. Our defensive line has not had a pass rush in decades.........I feel that is about to change.

5. Our linebacking should be good even after this year.

6. We just loaded up on the secondary and already have some dam good youth such as terrell smith.

Our recruiting is at an awesome level for the University of Minnesota. This team was a schit show when Fleck took over.

Part of me wants to think the ratings don’t matter, players like Cashman (and a handful of players from the Kill recruiting classes) have proven it’s not a perfect system. But I don’t see any teams competing for the national championship, since the rating system has existed, that are comprised of mostly 3 stars and a couple 4 stars.

it would be more accurate to say the field of contenders is artificially reduced to those teams a panel of voters feels is the best.

Does the team “everyone knows” is best always win in the playoffs?

That said, even in the more egalitarian NCAA basketball tournament it is rare for non-elite (recruiting wise) teams to make it to the final 4. If MN fans are expecting national championships in the near future you’re probably following the team for the wrong reasons. Set reasonable goals.x

I think a reasonable goal would be that in the next 5 years we start seeing top talent flowing our way. For instance we start landing players that are strongly sought after by teams like Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. Or if we could start stealing some of the top guys in the Midwest, instead of just counting on those players committing to Wisconsin or Iowa. I get that a panel of voters decide who the “best” teams are. But I’d be really interested to see if, for instance, Bama and Clemson weren’t the top 2 teams in college football the past couple years (as the panel concluded).

it would be more accurate to say the field of contenders is artificially reduced to those teams a panel of voters feels is the best.

Does the team “everyone knows” is best always win in the playoffs?

That said, even in the more egalitarian NCAA basketball tournament it is rare for non-elite (recruiting wise) teams to make it to the final 4. If MN fans are expecting national championships in the near future you’re probably following the team for the wrong reasons. Set reasonable goals.x

I was just looking through the 2019 class on 247. I didn’t pay as much attention last year when that class was assembled. A lot of those guys had offers from top programs like Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Florida, Georgia, etc, even though they are 3-star recruits. I don’t know how hard those top schools pursued those players, but they’re good enough to get the offers. Maybe we’re getting the kids who might have been on the fringe of competing for playing time at Alabama, Georgia and Oklahoma, but I’ll take it!

Top Bottom