Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Inside Minnesota's massive week on the recruiting trail

per Steve:

Minnesota’s summer splash recruiting week was more like a tidal wave as P.J. Fleck and his Gophers staff landed 11 commits over six days, growing this 2020 class from eight to 19, rising all the way to No. 22 in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

And if the Gophers continue to take the steps forward that Fleck and company have planned, this week is going to go a long way towards that success.

Offensive tackles Aireontae Ersery and Martes Lewis, safety Michael Dixon, athlete Dylan McGill, defensive end Claude Larkins, cornerback Benjamin Onwuzo, defensive end Gage Keys, defensive tackle Ali Saad, cornerbacks Jalen Glaze and Victor Pless and defensive end Melle Kreuder all said yes, with all but McGill being in town on their official visit - which included hanging out at Fleck’s lake house. Truly a national recruiting effort as Minnesota combed Missouri, Indiana, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Ohio, Michigan and even Germany for this crop. This is a class that also has commitments from Kansas, Wisconsin, New York, Tennessee, the Netherlands and of course Minnesota.

These two offensive tackles Minnesota got this week in the 6-foot-5, 273-pound Ersery and the 6-foot-7, 320-Lewis could be special. Ersery has the balance, body control, quickness and explosive strength traits to him, he’s raw as an o-lineman but there is a lot to like regarding the Kansas City (Mo.) Ruskin standout. Lewis is explosive and very strong, a finisher up front and a freight train when he pulls. Both are over 50-foot shot put throwers too.

This is a strong group in the secondary as well. The 6-foot-1, 186-pound Dixon was the staff’s top safety target, a player that is plug and play as a true freshman. He has 4.5 laser-timed speed in the 40-yard dash (The Opening Regional) a 36-inch vertical and he’s instinctive and seems to relish laying the wood. Pless was the top cornerback on the board, a smooth, fluid athlete with length that as he adds strength will certainly add speed. Speaking of speed, the 5-foot-11, 185-pound Onwuzo will arrive on campus ready to roll in that department, a 4.59 guy that can change direction and brings position flexibility to the back end. Injury kept him on the shelf most of his junior year at Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade-Madonna Prep but a spring eval made him a coveted target for this staff. Glaze had six interceptions as a junior and also shows ability to make things happen on special teams.

https://247sports.com/Article/Inside...ail-133048017/

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    This is a strong group in the secondary as well. The 6-foot-1, 186-pound Dixon was the staff’s top safety target, a player that is plug and play as a true freshman. He has 4.5 laser-timed speed in the 40-yard dash (The Opening Regional) a 36-inch vertical and he’s instinctive and seems to relish laying the wood. Pless was the top cornerback on the board, a smooth, fluid athlete with length that as he adds strength will certainly add speed. Speaking of speed, the 5-foot-11, 185-pound Onwuzo will arrive on campus ready to roll in that department, a 4.59 guy that can change direction and brings position flexibility to the back end. Injury kept him on the shelf most of his junior year at Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade-Madonna Prep but a spring eval made him a coveted target for this staff. Glaze had six interceptions as a junior and also shows ability to make things happen on special teams.

Go Gophers!!
    Oh no, not again...
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshurun View Post
    Oh no, not again...
    I didn't misread that one....theme seems similar to the post I misread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshurun View Post
    Oh no, not again...
    Don't worry, he's laser-timed fast so he can get out of any situation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per Steve:

Minnesota’s summer splash recruiting week was more like a tidal wave as P.J. Fleck and his Gophers staff landed 11 commits over six days, growing this 2020 class from eight to 19, rising all the way to No. 22 in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

And if the Gophers continue to take the steps forward that Fleck and company have planned, this week is going to go a long way towards that success.

Offensive tackles Aireontae Ersery and Martes Lewis, safety Michael Dixon, athlete Dylan McGill, defensive end Claude Larkins, cornerback Benjamin Onwuzo, defensive end Gage Keys, defensive tackle Ali Saad, cornerbacks Jalen Glaze and Victor Pless and defensive end Melle Kreuder all said yes, with all but McGill being in town on their official visit - which included hanging out at Fleck’s lake house. Truly a national recruiting effort as Minnesota combed Missouri, Indiana, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Ohio, Michigan and even Germany for this crop. This is a class that also has commitments from Kansas, Wisconsin, New York, Tennessee, the Netherlands and of course Minnesota.

These two offensive tackles Minnesota got this week in the 6-foot-5, 273-pound Ersery and the 6-foot-7, 320-Lewis could be special. Ersery has the balance, body control, quickness and explosive strength traits to him, he’s raw as an o-lineman but there is a lot to like regarding the Kansas City (Mo.) Ruskin standout. Lewis is explosive and very strong, a finisher up front and a freight train when he pulls. Both are over 50-foot shot put throwers too.

Go Gophers!!
    Quantity over quality.

Some decent players but a significant drop off in average rating so far. Currently 6th in big ten 3rd in the west. Average rating 13th in B1G. The 3rd highest rated recruit would have been 13th in last years class by rating. And that class was a step down from the previous year.

The trend continues to be going in the wrong direction while most of the rest of the conference is trending upward.

High rankings in June again, we’ll see where we end up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

People are renewing. - Mark Coyle

Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    Quantity over quality.

Some decent players but a significant drop off in average rating so far. Currently 6th in big ten 3rd in the west. Average rating 13th in B1G. The 3rd highest rated recruit would have been 13th in last years class by rating. And that class was a step down from the previous year.

The trend continues to be going in the wrong direction while most of the rest of the conference is trending upward.

High rankings in June again, we’ll see where we end up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think a number of these guys have the potential to get rankings bumps after strong senior years like some in the previous classes. Bateman when he first committed was a lowly rated 3* from what I remember and by signing day was pretty much a consensus 4*. There’s obviously a lot of projecting with this class but the physical profile and athleticism coaches look for is there for a lot of these kids. This staff has given us reason to trust their eye test. Otherwise I think they’ll finish strong with the rest of the class from a rankings perspective. Seem to be in a good spot on a few high 3* and low 4* recruits.

In my more wackier moments, I envision this scenario:

a Gopher player is trying to tackle a player from Iowa. The Iowa player says "I was a 4* recruit with offers from 9 top-20 programs." The Gopher player says, "Well, that proves you must be better, so I have no chance of stopping you."

Point being - once they put on the uniforms and the ref blows the whistle, the only thing that matters is what happens on the field. Offers, stars, dots, ratings - all out the window.

I am not disputing that the ratings have some value - that offer sheets indicate how a player is viewed as a prospect - but if you drop a pass or miss a block, nobody cares about your offer sheet.

And, before someone brings it up - I follow the recruiting threads to learn about players who might become future Gophers. I can be interested in who they're recruiting, and still be a skeptic about how the players are evaluated. I believe strongly that coaching and player development will make or break the Gopher program. Recruiting is just the first step in the process. to use an analogy - recruiting is like planting the seed in the spring. it still takes a lot of work before you harvest the crop in the fall. and the final evaluation is in the quality of the crop and the number of bushels per acre.

Blog Entries

It takes some proof pudding before some of the 4-Stars flock to the Gophers. Win and they will come. In the meantime, there is nothing wrong with doing due due diligence in player evals 4-Star or not. Potentially, there are under the radar players who will end their college careers as 4-Stars after going through the development program.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by GopherNuts View Post
    I think a number of these guys have the potential to get rankings bumps after strong senior years like some in the previous classes. Bateman when he first committed was a lowly rated 3* from what I remember and by signing day was pretty much a consensus 4*. There’s obviously a lot of projecting with this class but the physical profile and athleticism coaches look for is there for a lot of these kids. This staff has given us reason to trust their eye test. Otherwise I think they’ll finish strong with the rest of the class from a rankings perspective. Seem to be in a good spot on a few high 3* and low 4* recruits.
    Ratings go up and down. This applies to all prospects including those on other B1G teams.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    Ratings go up and down. This applies to all prospects including those on other B1G teams.
    Yes but they don't go up and down for previous classes. So you have to wait for the dust to settle a little before comparing this class to previous ones.

Right now this class isn’t as good as 2019 or 2018.

Decisions in the next few weeks from Moore, Brown, Martinez, Jackson, Johnson and Rankins will go a long ways to determining how it ends up.

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    Yes but they don't go up and down for previous classes. So you have to wait for the dust to settle a little before comparing this class to previous ones.
    I put in bold what I was responding to.

What’s your point?

Quote Originally Posted by GopherNuts View Post
    What’s your point?
    I thought it was pretty clear. It's all relative. Not something exclusive to Gophs recruits.

I thought it was pretty clear. It's all relative. Not something exclusive to Gophs recruits.
    Well yeah I guess, there’s a chance these commits raise their profile and up the average rating overall which was caligopher’s orginal issue with the takes in this class. They could outperform others in the conference, there’s no way of knowing. The part you put in bold is me being optimistic I guess. We’re all just projecting at this point. I think the general point I was trying to make in my comment is we should just let things play out. Whether it be letting senior seasons be played and seeing where they rank then or seeing what these 4* or fringe 4* recruits we seem to be in a good position with do. We could have a different view in a couple months.