PJ Fleck Interview new - Sunday 6-23-19

I am a lot of things but dumb is not one used. I am certain that a) I have far more experience than you when it comes to all phases of coaching football and b) more common sense.

First one to pull out the coaching card loses the argument.

Are you a good coach? Bad coach? Pre-adolescent level? High school? College? Pro? Over the years many coaches have made many dumb statements here and elsewhere. It’s a nothing qualifier, for a child’s game that isn’t as complicated as some want to make it out to be.

Everyone including yours truly uses “social smoothing” fibs, ie “best day of my life”, you look great”, “happy to see you” and coaches everywhere talk up their opponents “well coached”, “very talented” among many, many others designed to further sportsmanship and graciousness but what is far less common or socially acceptable is to make factual fibs presumedly to further an agenda or sell a product. Would it be ok to say we gained 800 yards if it was only 450, or scored 12 touchdowns instead of 5? Won 13 out of 12 games? I don’t know, I guess.

It’s very interesting, as an academic discussion. Where do we draw the line, and why? And if the line was crossed, what was the motivation?

If the true number was 61%, and PJ round up to 65%, probably no issue. 80% is a really gross distortion. 70% ? Maybe

And why did he say 80%? Was it just an honest over-rounding in the heat of the moment? Was he referencing some kind of internal metric or info that isn’t available? Or was he plain trying to mislead, in support of an agenda?

Somebody help me with the Fleck-math. For this fall I count 33 of 99 roster players as seniors or juniors. If it was really 80%, may be unprecedented in college football. There are 13 seniors listed and I didn’t count Dew-Treadway and his special situation. If we subtract out the only walk on, punter Melvin we have 12 scholarship seniors so who is on the way out?

During the football season there's no limit to how many can be on the roster. Usually there's about 120. It's close to that amount this year, more than 99 anyways. https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?roster=528.

It’s very interesting, as an academic discussion. Where do we draw the line, and why? And if the line was crossed, what was the motivation?

If the true number was 61%, and PJ round up to 65%, probably no issue. 80% is a really gross distortion. 70% ? Maybe

And why did he say 80%? Was it just an honest over-rounding in the heat of the moment? Was he referencing some kind of internal metric or info that isn’t available? Or was he plain trying to mislead, in support of an agenda?

I deal with many sales representatives in both my professional and personal life that shade the truth or present best case or even ludicrous scenarios. It’s nothing new to me. It’s not a crime as caveat emptor applies.

I deal with many sales representatives in both my professional and personal life that shade the truth or present best case or even ludicrous scenarios. It’s nothing new to me. It’s not a crime as caveat emptor applies.

The shady math is like a car salesman saying "this car gets 50 miles per gallon!" when in reality it only gets 40. The salesman would be better off just saying stuff like "it gets great mileage" or "it is near the top of its class in mileage" rather than stating things that are verifiably untrue.

Maybe he only counts Redshirt Juniors as upperclassmen or something weird like that. The claims are odd, especially since he must know people are tired of hearing about how young we are. I don’t understand it, but it’s not like hyperbole is rare among coaches or public figures in general.

I assume PJ was just rounding up to the nearest 20th percentile.

Some people really get their panties in a wad over this.

My panties are always in a wad.

We just have to accept any numerical stats coming from the regime are questionable. If he wins who cares? Belichick is a grump and a low level cheater, Ferentz ismconstipayed and lil Ferentz is a whiner, Harbaugh is wierd, Franklin is slimy, Chryst is boring and wears sweatshirts and slacks, and the list goes on.

I am a lot of things but dumb is not one used. I am certain that a) I have far more experience than you when it comes to all phases of coaching football and b) more common sense.

A) possibly- doesn’t apply to the issue at hand
B) very doubtful
c) even if you have common sense you obviously are unable to use logic and math skills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the correct stat was 61%, you wouldn't round up to 80%, you’d round down to 60%. The former is dishonest more than a white lie’s worth. Why not 90% then? 95%?

a) Who gives a sh1t?
b) If you have any common sense at all, you most certainly have displayed none of it in the sum total of your posts on this board.

While I find his use of false facts annoying, and wish he wouldn't do it, on the list of things that keep me up at night, it ranks very low on the list. I find it rather silly and unnecessary but, similar to SON, if the team wins, the kids represent the University well and they stay out of trouble (not necessarily in that order), I'm more than happy.

While I find his use of false facts annoying, and wish he wouldn't do it, on the list of things that keep me up at night, it ranks very low on the list. I find it rather silly and unnecessary but, similar to SON, if the team wins, the kids represent the University well and they stay out of trouble (not necessarily in that order), I'm more than happy.

A very level headed view.
Of course the HS teacher, pay cut, 4 of the last 5, 80%, etc. stuff aren’t fireable offenses nor things that winning and remaining a stand up program won’t trump. I clearly find them more annoying than most - but even I would agree with that.

I’m pretty sure most of these coaches are full of sh!t at least some of the time. I honestly do not care about stuff like this.

There's been exciting teams since then...how about most successful?
How about the WAC Attack. Now that was exciting. Too bad the other team always scored a couple of more points.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom