Marcus reporting Amir got a two way contract with the Clippers

We will play a different style without Murphy and Cofey. Just like every other team in college basketball, the U will have to reload. Part of the optimism stems from having a few new upper class man instead of counting on just new freshman to step up. We will be younger and miss a couple of keys players, but we will be more versatile, athletic and defensive minded. We are not starting from scratch, the team still has some very good players coming back from last year.

Yup, I'm not giving up on making the tournament this year like some people.

I think I have a different take on this. I think the Gophers will miss Murphy more than Coffey.

If you look at what Coffey provided - scoring, defense, ball-handling - the team will likely not have 1 player who provides all of that to the same level. But they don't need 1 player to fill Coffey's spot. They need 2 or 3 or 4 different players to each provide part of the puzzle. some points here, some ball-handling there, some defense over there, and you fill the gap. And - to be fair - Coffey had some up-and-down games during the season. We remember how well he played down the stretch - but we may not remember some of the other games during the season when he wasn't as efficient.

On the other hand, with Murphy, it was a near-guaranteed double-double every night. Oturu should be able to pick up some of the points and rebounds - but who picks up the rest? And who provides the presence Murphy gave the team, and the ability to hit big shots or get to the free-throw line when the team needed it?

I guess I just feel better about the prospects for replacing Coffey's production than I do about the prospects of replacing Murphy's production.

Would I have like to have Coffey back? Yes - no doubt. But, he's gone, and the team (and coaches) need to find a way to replace what he provided. I don't think the team is doomed to failure. This can still be a good season.
Agreed 100%

This is like the delusional Badger fans who are arguing they are better off without Happ. They're not and we're not.
Not even close, they think next year's team will win more games than last year with 8 eligible scholarship players. The argument here is the 2020 team is worst without Coffey than with, no doubt, but the 2021 team will benefit with the additional minutes that Ilhan and Williams and to an extent Willis will get that wouldn't be there. There's no guarantees of championship glory, but anyone half a brain knows the odds are better. Pitino's 8 win team was a gong show, but the silver lining of the year was the development of Mason, McBreyer and Murphy, and those three played large roles in the following years turnaround

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Every new signee except Greenlee signed before Coffey decided to stay in the draft, so presumably their decisions were not influenced by his status.

Sure, but Pitino or coaching staff could've been feeding them that Coffey was likely out, and the playing time was up for grabs.

I'm reaching here, sure. But it's not that much of a reach. Just trying to even find a way where it could be possible to say we, somehow, ended up "better" than if Coffey had stayed. And it all hinges on a player who wasn't here last year ending up having a better year this year than Coffey had last year. Probably not gonna happen.

Yup, I'm not giving up on making the tournament this year like some people.

Same here. To me, there is nothing to suggest we should not have hope. Every new season brings hope. I think there are several things this team will do better. One is they will not be so one sided in the half court. This will allow a much better chance to run sides with movement. Combined with better defense and the opportunity is there.

Top Bottom