Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    Yes, it did.

And it's not like the University has a choice on whether or not Amir gets to finish his degree for free. That's an NCAA mandate.
    It's also in their best interest as it relates to APR.

per Shama:

Ex-Gophers Amir Coffey and Jordan Murphy will have tryouts respectively with the NBA’s Clippers and Timberwolves. They could eventually play in the NBA’s development league. During the 2018-19 season, players with G League contracts earned base salaries of $7,000, or $35,000 for five months.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    78K- 100K is nothing in the big picture. That's real short term thinking. He is going to have the rest of his life to make some money. He had a chance to lead a major college team to the tournament, have an unforgettable experience that will last a lifetime, finish his degree and possibly make himself into a first rounder. I think it is a bad decision. That said, I wish him well and hope he makes the NBA some day soon.
    +1.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    It's a win-win for the Gophers and Amir. I look to see a team shine on the court this upcoming season. We, the Gophers, will ultimately be the better for Amir leaving early.
    Best wishes to a former Gopher in Amir Coffey. Time to move on.
    I wish Coffey no ill-will, but that is not true. We will be worse off next season by a not insignificant amount and that will not be offset by him having a marginal NBA career. If he somehow turns into an All-Star then yes. But that is pretty unlikely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    Regardless of whether he gets fired or not, it would be much better for the program in the long term to make the tournament and possibly win a game or two next year than it would be for Amir to play a few games in the NBA next year.
    This. I simply don't buy that anyone's going to commit here because we have one guy get a cup of coffee (NPI) in the NBA. But because we finished top 4 in the conference and made the NCAA's 2 years in a row and 3 of 4? Far more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    I wish Coffey no ill-will, but that is not true. We will be worse off next season by a not insignificant amount and that will not be offset by him having a marginal NBA career. If he somehow turns into an All-Star then yes. But that is pretty unlikely.
    Think bigger and longer than next year. Amir, being gone, opens up minutes and opportunities for the players here to grow and mature. Next season may be a small step back, but the ROI is going to be fantastic in 2020-2021.

Think bigger and longer than next year. Amir, being gone, opens up minutes and opportunities for the players here to grow and mature. Next season may be a small step back, but the ROI is going to be fantastic in 2020-2021.
    If that were true then no program would ever play seniors no matter how good they are.

Losing Coffey means we will be much worse then we otherwise would be, may miss the tournament and as a result, it will hurt our recruiting for the 2021-22 classes.

Blog Entries

This is some twisted logic. We shouldn't play Oturu much next year. He might go to the draft. More minutes for Freeman! Think of the ROI!

Taking a season in which an NCAA bid and top half of the B1G finish was within reach and turning it into an NIT at best/coach might be on the hot-seat season is a big negative, both short and long-term. There's no other way to spin it.

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    If that were true then no program would ever play seniors no matter how good they are.

Losing Coffey means we will be much worse then we otherwise would be, may miss the tournament and as a result, it will hurt our recruiting for the 2021-22 classes.
    This is some twisted logic. We shouldn't play Oturu much next year. He might go to the draft. More minutes for Freeman! Think of the ROI!

Taking a season in which an NCAA bid and top half of the B1G finish was within reach and turning it into an NIT at best/coach might be on the hot-seat season is a big negative, both short and long-term. There's no other way to spin it.
    Both of you are creating strawmen that I didn't promote.
    The fact is Amir isn't here. This means that underclassmen will get valuable minutes and we will be better in the long run because of it.

The fact is Amir isn't here. This means that underclassmen will get valuable minutes and we will be better in the long run because of it.
    Those dividends over the next few years are worth far less than the value Amir would bring to the team next year.

It is possible but you can not guarantee that the players taking his minutes will be great or that recruiting will be fantastic. There is hope.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    It is possible but you can not guarantee that the players taking his minutes will be great or that recruiting will be fantastic. There is hope.
    We're gonna be very good in 2020-21.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Those dividends over the next few years are worth far less than the value Amir would bring to the team next year.
    Yep. Yes, it's possible that the extra minutes will lead to a win or two in 2-3 years. It will cost a lot more than that next year. And the bigger issue is that another poor season will do more to harm future recruiting than those couple future wins would do.

If the on court results from the upcoming season didn't affect recruiting in any way, then you would be right. Unfortunately, that isn't how things work.

Already giving up on next year? Obviously having Coffey back would have been preferable, and yes, maybe the team takes a step back. However, I'm excited to see how all the new pieces fit together. Next year is the deepest and most athletic Gopher basketball team that we've had here in quite some time. I think the team has a chance to surprise...